+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
*nix Thread, Confessions and Revelations in Technical; Well nearly five days in to my "Linux Experiment", (for those who don't know, I have been trying to use ...
    Thank Post

Confessions and Revelations

Well nearly five days in to my "Linux Experiment", (for those who don't know, I have been trying to use ONLY Linux for a week to try and learn a little bit), and things are going surprisingly well.

I feel I have got to know, and like, Ubuntu fairly well. I do however have a couple of confessions before I begin.

• As I mentioned the other day, I have been using a VM of Windows 7 to get screen shots for various presentations. I have not however, been "using" the VM.
    • Friends came over the other night and wanted to see some photographs and videos I have taken - that are all stored in my Mac. Rather than trying to figure out the best way to port them across and display on the TV, I booted into OSX and used Front Row. I'm sure if I had more time, and notice of their arrival that I would have figured something out using Linux.

Apart from that, it's been Ubuntu all the way. This week I have mainly been documenting so not had to do anything too technical. I even reinstalled SUSE on my Mini Note when I needed to use it and was surprised at how much quicker it ran than W7 or even XP.

I really like one of the methods to install applications using terminal. "apt-get -install "packagename"", seems so easy and will find most applications that I wanted without having to dig around to find things.

My battery on my MacBook Pro seems to not last quite as long using Ubuntu as running OSX but not by a big enough margin to really be bothered about.

I think the weekend will be my biggest test as I switch over from business computing to using my machine to complete various personal tasks etc, but I will see.

Overall, I know now that when I start running OSX or Windows again, it will be because I want to, not because I need to. I'll admit that I had always been a little bit scared of Linux, but now I know that if the need arises to use or troubleshoot it - I am standing in much better ground than I was last week. I will no longer mock people for using it and may even install it on my file server so that I can test it on a more long term basis.

Once again, thanks for all of your help suggesting application alternatives etc.

Tom

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Well done but now that you've used linux you need to use 'real' linux.
    Try to use slackware and then move on to unix derivatives such as FreeBSD and OpenSolaris
    Good Luck with the weekend

Thank Post
    Quite true - and I take it you have been doing "normal" walking as well.. to get the real experience, you need to tie your shoelaces together and stuff 4 hedgehogs down your trousers.

Gah... ubuntu not "real" linux - come off it

Thank Post
    Nah you're all a load of wusses!!
    Bring back CP/M I say !!! : (just in case anyone took it seriously!
    Alan

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Of course ubuntu is 'real linux' and actually I use it at home on my nice shiny machine, but shh we don't want everyone to find out linux is so easy to use or we won't be special any more.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,675 Times in 1,458 Posts
    Blog Entries
    How do you go on resetting password and stuff at work?

Thank Post
    @FN-GM: Have a look at adtool, which I maintain in Debian and Ubuntu. It's for exactly that

Thank Post
    @FN-GM - reseting user passwords in AD? I use the "Terminal Server Client" and remote in to the server. Just like I did on Windows.

Running Linux Mint 7 on a Dell Optiplex 360 (booted and online including me logging on, in less than 60 seconds)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,675 Times in 1,458 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoZeroAlpha View Post
    @FN-GM - reseting user passwords in AD? I use the "Terminal Server Client" and remote in to the server. Just like I did on Windows.

Running Linux Mint 7 on a Dell Optiplex 360 (booted and online including me logging on, in less than 60 seconds)
    But then you will be using a Windows machine just in a terminal session

I always use the Remote Administration Tools and dont remote in for password resets group policies etc.

Quote Originally Posted by powdarrmonkey View Post
    @FN-GM: Have a look at adtool, which I maintain in Debian and Ubuntu. It's for exactly that
    ooo nice tool

Thank Post
    Just noticed all the replies to this thread!

Will check out the Ad admin tool tomorrow

Thanks guys!

Thank Post
    Be aware that adtool in Ubuntu Jaunty suffers from LP:209315, which is fixed in the version in Karmic (which releases in about ten days, so you can probably risk dist-upgrading now if you feel like it )

APT is possibly the most powerful package manager you will ever use: try aptitude search photo and aptitude show rednotebook for high-abstraction examples. (Install aptitude if it isn't already )
    Last edited by powdarrmonkey; 21st October 2009 at 11:16 PM.

Thank Post
    I wish I could talk myself into using Ubuntu for my desktop O/S. I love the few linux cli servers... but i cant talk myself out of using m$ the rest of the time!

Thank Post
    ind1ekid: there are ways and means of the two co-existing. have you tried it for, say, a month?

Thank Post
    I think i managed like a couple of days of just ubuntu, before i went back to windows. Its not that i didnt like it, just im soo comfortable with Windows i guess!
    I did force my 7yr old brother to have Ubuntu on his netbook though lol

Would you recommend a dual boot setup? I'm gonna be installing windows 7 this weekend!

Thank Post
    Cooperative Linux <-- fun alternative to dual boot?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast