+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
*nix Thread, My Linux Experiment in Technical; I realised a little while ago that I have never had much experience with Linux, in any desktop environment. With ...
    Thank Post

My Linux Experiment

I realised a little while ago that I have never had much experience with Linux, in any desktop environment. With it becoming more and more present all over the place I have decided to try something, probably a little bit crazy.

From Monday morning, I will be using Ubuntu for everything. I hope to try and use Linux as my only operating system for both home and work use for a whole week and see how I get on.

The only thing that I am looking for at the moment is a suitable iTunes replacement that will manage my iPod to a reasonable standard.

Does anybody have a suggestion for good software? Or any other general suggestions that will help me on my journey?

I will let you all know how I am getting on and report my progress along the way. I have set up a Linux installation via BootCamp and got basically to grips with installing software and basic use.

Thanks

Tom

Thank Post
    Thanks for that I will check them out. I jumped for Ubuntu for my trial, as it seems to have the largest support base etc. If I get on well with it then I will be looking to try other distro's as well - although not exclusively as I will be using Ubuntu.

All I am doing at the moment is internet research, putting documents together, putting presentations together - so it shouldn't be too much of a problem to "make the switch".

Thank Post
    for w32 codex's theres a few realy good howto's if you serch in google.
    Try pidgin for your chat client needs.
    Also the new version of sun virtual box is nice and easy to setup if you want to use stuff like photoshop and the like.

Thank Post
    i tried making the switch but found myself being too windowdised. tho i use ubuntu everyday as well as windows and are migrating slowly over as i find the bit of ubuntu that are better than windows. even tried it on the domain at work but it doesn't seem to like any of my dual head video controllers.

5. Thanks to mjs_mjs from:

SC-UK (24th September 2009)

Thank Post
    Ubuntu is a good beginner's choice.

The only way I succeeded against "but what now" was to take my Windows hard drive out physically and put it in the loft.

If you're after software, post what you need and you'll get a hundred suggestions, I guarantee it As for iPod software (and being the shell-junkie that I am) my favourite is gnupod.

7. Thanks to powdarrmonkey from:

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    I switched a few years back. not really looked back except for a week ago I needed to install a VPN software to support a remote site. F-ing windows only.

I mostly found it was just a change of culture, I just spent more time looking a free cross platform apps.

9. Thanks to CyberNerd from:

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by powdarrmonkey View Post

The only way I succeeded against "but what now" was to take my Windows hard drive out physically and put it in the loft.
    I thought about doing that, but instead opted to dual-boot with OSX via bootcamp. I hope I can succeed against the "but what now", by using the natural techie in me to "Google it"

I've been using Ubuntu for a couple of weeks now as a secondary OS, and getting to know it more and more rather than just jumping straight in without having a clue what I am doing - as I know if I did this, then I wouldn't succeed.

The experiment is more to prove to myself that I don't have to rely on what I know, and that I can adapt to different software should the need arise. I also hope it will give me a better understanding of Linux in general and how it works, which will give me a little bit more scope for future projects that I know would work better with Linux. In the past I have always defaulted to Windows or Mac as they were "what I knew", even though I could have done so much better with Linux.

Watch this space!

Thank Post
    I've moved to Ubuntu, I love it. OK can't play some games, but now I mainly play guild wars (rarely now) which works fine. So if you need Windows software look into WINE

Thank Post
    Although familiar with WINE, I still see this as "cheating" a little bit with what I am trying to do. I will use it if I have to, but hopefully will be going a full week using only Linux software.

Thank Post
    heard a lot of good things about Suse so not sure how that compares to ubuntu but on the same token also heard a lot of good things about ubuntu, the one thing I do like about linux os is compiz

Compiz - openSUSE

Not sure if thats the correct site but gives you an idea - lots of videos on youtube about it

Apparently takes some configuring but pretty good - more of a flashy / gimmick type thing I think.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,463 Times in 980 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by powdarrmonkey View Post
    Ubuntu is a good beginner's choice.
    Personally I think Ubuntu is a good choice full stop. I've been using Linux for about 10 years and if you want a stable, easy to use distro with plenty of community support then you can't beat it.

Thank Post
    The school I work at is mainly Linux. When I started a year and half ago I had very little experience but I was having to use it on a daily basis. Now I love it, to the point where I mainly use linux at home too.

Ubuntu is probably a good distro to start with as there is so much information out there for it. Personally I use Fedora with KDE!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sparkeh View Post
    Personally I think Ubuntu is a good choice full stop. I've been using Linux for about 10 years and if you want a stable, easy to use distro with plenty of community support then you can't beat it.
    Agreed; it has the advantage of six-monthly bleeding edge releases (Karmic is due on Oct 31st) and two-yearly long-term releases for stability.

ajs

Thank Post
    Banshee (which I believe is the default music player for Ubuntu) has had a long history of providing good and reliable ipod support. Shouldn't be too hard to get used to it if you're coming from iTunes.

Other than that, Rhythmbox I believe may also work with an ipod (despite using Rhythmbox myself I've no idea about the ipod support since I don't own one) and Amarok and Songbird are also good choices (although Songbird at the moment is still rather sluggish and RAM intensive for my liking on Linux).

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ajs View Post
    Banshee (which I believe is the default music player for Ubuntu) has had a long history of providing good and reliable ipod support. Shouldn't be too hard to get used to it if you're coming from iTunes.
    It's installed by default if you install the gnome meta-package (banshee is a direct dependency), but there is no 'default' music player. That's choice at work

Other than that, Rhythmbox I believe may also work with an ipod (despite using Rhythmbox myself I've no idea about the ipod support since I don't own one) and Amarok and Songbird are also good choices (although Songbird at the moment is still rather sluggish and RAM intensive for my liking on Linux).
    Rhythmbox claims to do iPods, but I've found it's fairly ropey at it (though of course that could just be my configuration).

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast