+ Post New Thread
*nix Thread, Triple boot with WIndows 7, OpenSuse and Ubuntu 9.04 in Technical; Hi Was wondering if someone could help me with a right mess I have got myself in. I have been ...
    Thank Post

Triple boot with WIndows 7, OpenSuse and Ubuntu 9.04

Hi

Was wondering if someone could help me with a right mess I have got myself in.

I have been keen to try out OpenSuse 11.1 for some time now, I have been a Ubuntu user for a year and wanted the best of both, so went on a journey to install all 3 on my laptop.

My laptop had Windows 7 on it and within the disk management I shrunk my 320gb drive to 250gb, so had 70gb to install my linux distros which I separated so both had 35gb each.

Once I had shrunk this, i then installed Suse 11.1. it installed fine, once I restarted I had a green bootloader, suse was the first option and it had windows in there. Both booted fine when there selection was chosen.

I then installed Ubuntu, and that identified I had 2 OS's on there, I chose auto configure assuming it would use the unallocated 35gb remaining space to install itself on.

Once I booted up though it goes straight into windows, I have lost the boot loader that Suse installed.

Can anyone advise me on how I can get the two working? If I can manage to get one working, I would be grateful but would prefer to use open suse.

Thanks

Thank Post
    Why do people still use dual boot?

VMWare server is free, so are countless other virtualization tools. VMWorkstation is ideal if you want to pay for it.

You can then run all 3 OS at once as well!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    It sounds like it will be because it will need a bootloader of some sort, as it is going to find your primary install which is windows 7 and boot straight into that.

I dont know if this would work, but maybe edit the boot.ini file on your windows 7 install and add the other 2 installs and directorys to the file and then restart and you should get a list of OS to choose from.

-- Just a thought, i dont know of the top of my head --

But yes, Really if i was you i would look into making Virtual Machines using Vmware Server or Microsoft Virtual PC.

The cool thing you can do with VHD's is you can have them running at the same time as your host operating system, but you can also again change the boot.ini file so you can boot straight into a VHD. meaning you still have the option to boot into what ever OS you want and they are also portable.

James.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by oxide54 View Post
    Why do people still use dual boot?

VMWare server is free, so are countless other virtualization tools. VMWorkstation is ideal if you want to pay for it.

You can then run all 3 OS at once as well!
    I agree I could easily run these using VMware and I do use workstation for testing purposes.

To run as an OS for work or pleasure, I dont know it doesnt feel the same running it as a VM, too much faff to get it running, it doesnt feel as smooth as running it natively.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by EduTech View Post
    The cool thing you can do with VHD's is you can have them running at the same time as your host operating system, but you can also again change the boot.ini file so you can boot straight into a VHD. meaning you still have the option to boot into what ever OS you want and they are also portable.

James.
    Sorry reading that again I am confused, what do you mean, can I run all 3 OS's natively?

Is there some instructions on how I can do this?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ranj View Post
    Sorry reading that again I am confused, what do you mean, can I run all 3 OS's natively?

Is there some instructions on how I can do this?
    Yes you can boot your PC from the VHD, you dont have to run it from the host operating system which yes can cause lag if your machine aint capable of running mutiple VM's

http://blogs.technet.com/virtualizat...windows-7.aspx

Save me blogging about it, use Mike's above

I know it does work, as i have done it myself. i have Windows 7 as my main Operating System, but can boot into my Liniux Distro, Windows Server Inst and Windows XP Inst. They are all VHD's

James.
    Last edited by EduTech; 6th September 2009 at 05:50 PM.

7. Thanks to EduTech from:

ranj (6th September 2009)

Thank Post
    So looking on the internet I am struggling to find Linux Distros in VHD, does that mean I have to convert an ISO to VHD or similar or is there a site where they have already been built into VHD files?

I saw the create VHD in disk management before, never knew what it did, shame I didnt look into it really.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ranj View Post
    So looking on the internet I am struggling to find Linux Distros in VHD, does that mean I have to convert an ISO to VHD or similar or is there a site where they have already been built into VHD files?

I saw the create VHD in disk management before, never knew what it did, shame I didnt look into it really.
    You need to create a virtual machine on your computer using Microsoft Virtual PC / Vmware Server once you have install your linux Distro. Once you have a VHD with your Linux Distro Installed you then need to follow the intructions so you can boot from the VHD rather then the Physical Disk.

Basically your VHD (Virtual Hard Disk) acts just like a physical disk. You can download Operating Systems that have already been pre-installed on a VHD but most people like to install the Operating System them selves.

Once you have your VHD, just attach it using Disk managment

James.

Thank Post
    I have not had this problem as of yet, but yes it is something you must keep in mind as some people have come accross this problem.

You can install the drivers on the VHD for your physical machines hardware, which has fixed this for most people.

James.
    they were proliant servers i was doing this with, HP drivers hardly ever come with windows even the laptop i'm typing this on blue screens if you use a standard XP cd, you have to use 'special' hp one that comes with drivers slipstreamed in.

so it'll probably quite straight forward if the hardware is 'standard'.

Thank Post
    If I have OpenSuse on a primary partition and windows on a another, would i be able to safely delete the suse partition or would this affect windows booting up? I am using the bootloader for suse to boot into the 2 OS's.

I am thinking I might try the VHD option but dont want to mess up the whole disk, I suppose I could do an image in case it goes wrong...

Thank Post
    Sorry forgot to add, if I can do the above option. Can I just do an inplace upgrade from opensuse to Ubuntu without affecting the Windows partition?

Thank Post
    If it helps with the original question, you need to install a linux bootloader back over the top of the default win 7 one. LILO or GRUB will detect both windows and linux bootable partitions, however windows will only detect windows ones (this was certainly the case in XP, haven't tried 7 yet).

Booting from a linux CD and entering the Advanced menu should give you the option to reinstall the boot loader - I've certainly done this on both a Debian install and Fedora 10 before now when I've installed windows on existing linux boxes and wiped out the linux boot loader - hope this helps !

On the subject of VMWare vs dual boot - there's arguments for both sides. Generally VMWare will use some system resources for itself (certianly if you're running it under a host OS), whereas dual boot gives all system resources over to the running os. I've used both under different circumstances, but for installing and playing around with an OS, VMWare is good bet.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dickens View Post
    If it helps with the original question, you need to install a linux bootloader back over the top of the default win 7 one. LILO or GRUB will detect both windows and linux bootable partitions,
    I'd recomend Grub myself, its a lot easier to configurte the boot menu as /boot/grub/menu.lst is just a text file that is read by the boot loader.

Kris

Thank Post
    Yes you can boot your PC from the VHD, you dont have to run it from the host operating system which yes can cause lag if your machine aint capable of running mutiple VM's

Windows Virtualization Team Blog : Native VHD Support in Windows 7

Save me blogging about it, use Mike's above

I know it does work, as i have done it myself. i have Windows 7 as my main Operating System, but can boot into my Liniux Distro, Windows Server Inst and Windows XP Inst. They are all VHD's

James.
    Hi James

I tried to do this and followed instructions in the blog. I now seem to get a bootloader with both Windows 7 and Kubuntu but when I try to boot up Kubuntu it boots windows instead.

I had a Kubuntu virtual machine I created in VMware workstation 7, I then used a free tool called starwind converter which allowed me to convert the VMware VMDK file into a Microsoft VHD.

Can anyone help me on this? Is booting via VHD supported for Linux systems or is it only Windows products?

To clarify, I'm not trying to run Linux in a VM. I'm trying to boot it in my physical machine, from a VHD.

thanks

Thank Post
    Probaly not, looks like an MS thing for MS Win versions.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread