+ Post New Thread
*nix Thread, Ubuntu (dapper drake) in Technical; Hi im a complete linux n00b and decided that it would be a good idea to try to understand Linux ...

Thank Post

Ubuntu (dapper drake)

Hi im a complete linux n00b and decided that it would be a good idea to try to understand Linux enough to use it as a server base in the primary school that i service.

I managed to get a samba share up and running once i got used to how linux did things (kind of, might have been blind luck).

anyway, to really make this a total solution for my primarys i need to set it up as a DHCP server.

Im using DHCP3 (sorry im going off memory atm) set up the conf file.

the main thing im missing now is the correct commands to start, stop, restart and check the status of the dhcp service. if someone could give me a quick rundown of terminal commands for playing with the dhcp then id much appriciate it. (project is kind of on hold for the time being as were going through September blues at the high school >8-)

Thank Post

Re: Ubuntu (dapper drake)

To start and stop services it is usually /etc/init.d/service name stop|start . So
    for the dhcp server it will probably be /etc/init.d/dhcpd stop
    To list processes check out the ps command.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Remember that the recommended Ubuntu method is using sudo to run administrative commands, so sudo /etc/init.d/dhcpd restart (for example) and then enter your password when prompted. You may also find the Ubuntu Guide website helpful.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

I much prefer to use dnsmasq. DHCP3 is kinda overkill. But anyway.

Code:
    sudo /etc/init.d/someservice start
    sudo /etc/init.d/someservice stop
    sudo /etc/init.d/someservice reload
    sudo /etc/init.d/someservice status
    In the case of DHCP3 one should replace 'someservice' with 'dhcp3'. In the case of Samba it's 'samba'.

You might want to consider installing 'swat' and 'webmin'. It'll make things easier to configure when you're starting out.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,033 Times in 813 Posts

What about getting the service started on boot?
    I always get lost on this with Debian based systems and I never learned it properly.
    Redhat its a simple
    chkconfig someservice on
    is there a simple debian way for this, or is it a case of playing witht the rc.d scripts ? -IIRC ubuntu does it automatically ?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

CyberNerd: I'd recommend installing rcconf (menu-based config) for this:

sudo apt-get install rcconf and to run it : sudo rcconf.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,033 Times in 813 Posts

@webman: TY

Thank Post

Thanx for the quick replys guys, appriciated

i tend to end up sitting and trolling through various websites/readmes/conf files. alot of the info i find tends to be massive over kill, a good example is the dhcpd.conf file, there were that many comments/explanations for things i didnt evan need that i was left slightly bewildered as to what i actually needed in the file. after finding a cut down verson of the file on the net i changed the IPs, ranges etc and now it looks pretty good. i managed to get service started but thats as far as ive got so far. it may all be running as its supposed to already, obviously i need to test it some.
    Im so much of a n00b that on the desktop i have a text document with a list of useful terminal commands (and a brief description of what they do).
    the target is basically to have a dhcp server that has a file share. the primary schools cried when i told them about getting a windows server

on a seperate note, i have a laptop running dapper which uses pcmcia wireless cards to connect, well my card died so i had to replace it, how do i go about installing the new card as when i plug it in it quite simply does nothing. i had a quick play around trying to find somekind of add new hardware option but found nothing. i know the card works with linux and if need be ill just reinstall the laptop(its only used for surfing the net at home from the living room)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

alot of the info i find tends to be massive over kill, a good example is the dhcpd.conf file, there were that many comments/explanations for things i didnt evan need that i was left slightly bewildered as to what i actually needed in the file.
    Which is why I find dnsmasq to be much easier.

well my card died so i had to replace it, how do i go about installing the new card as when i plug it in it quite simply does nothing.
    Sadly WiFi isn't Linux's strong point atm. Although there's work going on in the area to make it easier, it's still a mess and requires some serious voodoo. What sort of card do you have? Make/Model?

Thank Post

mmmm thought id replied to this last week :/

its a US robotics 5410

I re installed the Laptop over the weekend, it now sees the wireless network but wont take an ip off the network, seems as though the WAP doesnt recognise the MAC of the card even though i checked the MAC was added to the accepted list on the WAP. (tried static ip but got no further)

Havent had chance to look into it further as yet, im thinking that maybe the Ubuntu instal has problems with no encryption although i have had it set up like that in the past.

im sure i didnt have to tinker with anything major to get it running, i guess ill just check all the settings again.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Thank Post

cool, thanx for that.

At least now in know that im not loosing the plot. ill try those treaks later, thinking about it im still on the base cd install, i may have connected using the old fashioned wire last time which may have updated the wireless software.

ill give this a try hopefully tonight if i get chance. ( must get it working to stop my wife stealing one of my PCs in the evaning )

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread