+ Post New Thread
*nix Thread, frankenbox to "real" server? in Technical; At what point do you realise "Actually, perhaps we shouldn't run so many Really Quite Important Things on random hardware ...

Thank Post

frankenbox to "real" server?

At what point do you realise "Actually, perhaps we shouldn't run so many Really Quite Important Things on random hardware from the junkpile?"

I have a frankenserver which provides (and holds) a fair amount of valuable info (network and server monitoring, documentation, web apps). I was planning to transfer it into a rack case when I upgrade the distro and wondered whether I should move it to slightly more robust hardware.

I realise that with a linux box you can pretty much stuff whatever you want in there and it will run happily (albeit perhaps slowly). The box has created no problems for nearly 2 1/2 yrs *touches wood*, except lagging a bit on large mysql queries.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Re: frankenbox to "real" server?

With older hardware you certainly have a valid concern about reliablity, espcially if it's little more than desktop grade hardware to start with.

From a purely technical point of view, there's likely no RAID of any kind and upgrading the hardware (more memory or a faster CPU for example) to cope with future demand will prove troublesome/impossible.

Also, boxes thrown together like this tend not to have the secondary systems typical of most servers. Robust backup and recovery systems for example or even something as simple as a UPS.

Bottom line, I think it's fine for prototyping an idea and proving something is possible to do. But once a system is under real use you need it running on real hardware. Especially if it's holding valuable data.

Thank Post

@Geoff,
    Cheers, I'm running this past the hive mind to ensure I haven't got server fever after getting another rack.

(it uses mirrored disks, sits on a ups and gets backed up nightly, but it is reasonably old desktop hardware that I found in a cupboard.)

IIRC you've got a slew of monitoring kit deployed, mind telling me what you're running it on?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Dell Poweredge thing. Low end P4 Celeron but it is a server (one of the 'workgroup' models if I recall).

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread