+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
*nix Thread, Using ubunto workstations in a server 03/08 environment in Technical; Most of you most probably know this but I found way of installing XFCE on my current ubuntu build: 1. ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,068 Times in 625 Posts
    Most of you most probably know this but I found way of installing XFCE on my current ubuntu build:

1. If you've installed the default Gnome version of Ubuntu, just open a terminal by hitting Alt-F2 on your keyboard and typing "gnome-terminal"
    2. To enable Kubuntu, type "sudo apt-get install kubuntu-desktop," enter your password when prompted, and answer yes to any questions that pop up.
    3. To enable Xubuntu, type "sudo apt-get install xubuntu-desktop"
    4. If you're already using Kubuntu or Xubuntu and want to enable Gnome, type "sudo apt-get install gnome-desktop"

The next time you logoff or restart your computer, you can change session types at the logon screen.

I much prefer XFCE than Gnome - but thats just me being picky.....

Thank Post
    Same can be done with other window managers as well, as they are registered as sessions as well.

Fluxbox
    Enlightenment
    Busybox
    Blackbox
    Sugar

And the other billion Window Managers there seem to be. With most of them, you need to install the WM and any other associated configuration tools like Fluxbox Menu Config and the such (Which will scan the system and compile a menu based on what's installed and configured into categories)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I'd recommend XFCE for lightweight installs. I used to run it on a Dual CPU P3-450 w/768mb of ram quite happily for several years.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Batman View Post
    You can't polish a turd!!

If a machine is too old it's too old... simple as that. Yeah sure, you can switch of unneeded services and that sort of thing but it's not going to mean that your applications suddenly use less resources.
    I believe the mythbusters disproved this theory and a turd can be polished to quite a shine

Thank Post
    Oh, here we go again... yes I did see that.

Although if you saw it I'm sure you'd agree that it took far more effort than it was worth

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Geoff View Post
    I'd recommend XFCE for lightweight installs. I used to run it on a Dual CPU P3-450 w/768mb of ram quite happily for several years.
    I'm using XFCE on old RM laptop and it runs really well - the only problem I have is that for some strange reason it won't connect to my FreeNAS box - SAMBA is installed etc etc. When booting into Gnome it works fine !!
    I have installed Pyneighborhood too - this sees the NAS box without any problems but refuses to mount via CIFs or SAMBA - very odd. I can connect via a web page - [ smb://freenas/ ] but I want to be able to upload as well as download.....AAggggghhhh.
    Will try a few more things but it is rather annoying.

Thank Post
    Oh dear, it seems that once again a nix distribution just shoots itself in the foot. I finally got Xubuntu working seeing network drives etc though SAMBA, even got a shared printer working & photoshop 7 running well in WINE but will it play a simple thing like a DVD ? Errrrrr no. Even I have installed every player, every possible codec and every possible library file known to man they just refuse to play. Even VLC media player refuses to play a simple divX, Xvid, AVI, Mpeg etc etc. It had everything going for it but not anymore.

And before anyone asks I also installed libdvdcss

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Thank Post
    right ive got it working and i even know how i did it and have replicated it (granted because i broke my original install managed to make it so sudo wouldn't accept my password). Im now stuck at the same point i am with the mac getting it to map network drives via a script for all users. Mount -t \\server\share seems to sort of work but only show in places\desktop after ive opened them. Ideally i want them in places\desktop\home automatically

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12