+ Post New Thread
*nix Thread, How do you uninstall apps in ubuntu? in Technical; I have Ubuntu installed and it has started to run really slowly, how do I uninstall apps that I do ...

Thank Post

How do you uninstall apps in ubuntu?

I have Ubuntu installed and it has started to run really slowly, how do I uninstall apps that I do not need to help speed things up.http://www.misco.co.uk/applications/SearchTools/item

Thank Post
    # sudo apt-get remove <package>

Or if you prefer aptitude, substitute appropriately. I'd be surprised if you gain much in the way of performance mind, unless you're removing services.

Mind you, I thought you were a Ubuntu-hater.

In a Server Room cutting through a forest of Cat5e
    Thank Post
    just use the synaptic package manager gui (under system)

if you don't like ubuntu, try Mint, it's based on ubuntu but appears to be slightly more user friendly

Thank Post
    Mind you, I thought you were a Ubuntu-hater.
    Just because I criticise ubuntu that does not mean that I hate it, its that sometimes it forces me to use skills I last used when using windows 3.1back in 1995.

It' like this uninstall query, why cant i just click an app (or its tick box) then click a button that says uninstall or word to that effect? "apply changes" means nothing it's just lazy programming.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    No, it's not programming at all! It's interface design, in this case unfortuantly done by programmers. So that's why to an average user it's not obvious.

If you really want this fixed, submit a bug/feature request and detail how you think the interface can be improved.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,656 Times in 1,110 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by redsnappa View Post
    "apply changes" means nothing
    Really? So you change something in the GUI, and there is a button that says "apply changes" - that means nothing?

Honestly (and this really is a serious point and isnt me sniping here) it really doesn't seem that difficult to me.

Perhaps now I understand why the Aeroplane packets of peanuts that had the instructions "Open packet -> eat peanuts"

But anyway this:
    Quote Originally Posted by Geoff View Post
    If you really want this fixed, submit a bug/feature request and detail how you think the interface can be improved.
    is another reason I love linux, you can actually get things changed.

Thank Post
    Just because I criticise ubuntu that does not mean that I hate it, its that sometimes it forces me to use skills I last used when using windows 3.1back in 1995.

It' like this uninstall query, why cant i just click an app (or its tick box) then click a button that says uninstall or word to that effect? "apply changes" means nothing it's just lazy programming.
    Strange, when I find that something (quote) "SUCKS" in Capital Letters I stop using it. Then I don't have to put up with it being rubbish. I'm at a complete loss as to why you're even bothering, if "apply changes" means nothing to you.

I'm with sparkeh. In the Synaptic dialog, the actual wording when you stage a change is "Mark for removal". "Apply Changes" makes perfect sense if you've bothered to read this bit.

Why is it like this? For efficiency: you can mark multiple packages to perform an action on, then set it going and make a cuppa while it does the whole lot.
    Last edited by powdarrmonkey; 30th April 2009 at 11:20 AM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,473 Times in 1,916 Posts
    Blog Entries

I don't get your complaint. There is such a button. You tick a box, then click apply changes. How is that confusing? It means you can uninstall and install many applications in one go, rather than having to click on each one, click remove, go through a dialog box etc...

It just seems like you're unwilling to change the way you work - you want everything to be exactly like in Windows. Which will not happen.

Thank Post
    How do you have ubuntu installed? is it on a partition or through Wubi? If its through Wubi it could be fragmentation of the partition which could have happened during install :s Just a thought.

Thank Post
    Strange, when I find that something (quote) "SUCKS" in Capital Letters I stop using it.
    You give up too easily.

Thank Post
    You give up too easily.
    No, I find (or write) something that does the job better.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread