+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
*nix Thread, Linux Commands in Technical; surely you want rm -r to be sure its gone...
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    surely you want rm -r to be sure its gone

Thank Post

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by soapyfish View Post
    surely you want rm -r to be sure its gone
    For recursive yes. (ie, into subdirs).

To be really 'sure' you'd run it with -rf (recursive and force) as a superuser.

Thank Post
    I think I upset RM this morning... I logged a call on their support website and said this:

"We wanted to use some of the RM management tools on one of our Linux based servers as it happens to be in a good location in the school for resetting passwords etc. and would mean we wouldn't have to kick a student off a workstation to get into the management console.

After a brief telephone discussion on Monday morning I was told by an RM Engineer that I could simply use the "rm" command to do this. He told me to, as super user, type in "rm -R /boot /etc /var /home" and then reboot the machine so it picks up the updates, and not to worry about any error messages that come up.

I couldn't do it at the time because I was in a different room but I tried it first thing this morning and it didn't work. Worse still, it won't even boot now and this is our email server. What have you done to my server?!!"

I figured someone at RM would pick it up and I'd get a witty reply, but what I actually got was a phone call... they wanted to know which engineer I spoke to and had not considered for one moment that it might be a joke, so I had to tell them it was April Fool's Day.

I was briefly chastised by the RM representative who clearly couldn't see the funny side and informed me that they are very busy due to conficker outbreaks. I don't think she meant on their own network. Fair enough I suppose, bit of a shame though... it was meant to be funny not annoying.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Batman View Post
    I think I upset RM this morning... I logged a call on their support website and said this:

"We wanted to use some of the RM management tools on one of our Linux based servers as it happens to be in a good location in the school for resetting passwords etc. and would mean we wouldn't have to kick a student off a workstation to get into the management console.

After a brief telephone discussion on Monday morning I was told by an RM Engineer that I could simply use the "rm" command to do this. He told me to, as super user, type in "rm -R /boot /etc /var /home" and then reboot the machine so it picks up the updates, and not to worry about any error messages that come up.

I couldn't do it at the time because I was in a different room but I tried it first thing this morning and it didn't work. Worse still, it won't even boot now and this is our email server. What have you done to my server?!!"

I figured someone at RM would pick it up and I'd get a witty reply, but what I actually got was a phone call... they wanted to know which engineer I spoke to and had not considered for one moment that it might be a joke, so I had to tell them it was April Fool's Day.

I was briefly chastised by the RM representative who clearly couldn't see the funny side and informed me that they are very busy due to conficker outbreaks. I don't think she meant on their own network. Fair enough I suppose, bit of a shame though... it was meant to be funny not annoying.
    lol Nice one! Batman

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12