+ Post New Thread
*nix Thread, eee PC and Schools in Technical; So has anyone had any success with these? I have managed to install an ident client to it and secure ...
    Thank Post

eee PC and Schools

So has anyone had any success with these? I have managed to install an ident client to it and secure firefox somewhat with Public Fox, but has anyone been using these in schools so far and had any success/issues yet?

From what I can see the Xandros OS is very insecure basically needing someone to press CRTL-ALT-T to access the terminal and typing sudo bash gives them full admin access to the unit with no password required!

Luckily the test one we have currently is only planned to be used to browse the net etc not access any shares so that side isn't so much worry.

Thank Post
    We have about 20 set up on wireless for the special kids to use the internet.

Thank Post
    Did you just give them to the kids straight out the box? Any kind of security on them at all?

Thank Post
    Had to upgrade the wireless driver, add to wireless network and set proxy settings but didn't do anything else. The kids don't get to keep them, they just use them for a lesson a few times a week.

I think if I'd locked them down the kids would find a way round it, but leaving them open the bad kids don't bother messing, they just seem to play games instead.

Thank Post
    If they want to use them to do schoolwork on they can use their USB pens.

Thank Post
    Thinking about it, I probably would usually have secured them, but the dep head gave me about 2 hours to get them ready to use from delivery :P

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dom_ View Post
    Thinking about it, I probably would usually have secured them, but the dep head gave me about 2 hours to get them ready to use from delivery :P
    lol with all the pinning and repo adding involved in getting the ident client sorted setting this one up took a while!! And because of its silly UnionFS system I'm a little unsure of how to back up the user settings I have created! Bit of a pain, I would personally want to install ubuntu but i dont think that will go down well!!

Thank Post
    We haven't given these to students individually but our LSA's have them so they can work with a student on the device together.

We looked at using them in PE for Electronic Attendance but the Xandros was a bit hitty missing with the connecting to the wireless.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylv3r View Post
    We haven't given these to students individually but our LSA's have them so they can work with a student on the device together.

We looked at using them in PE for Electronic Attendance but the Xandros was a bit hitty missing with the connecting to the wireless.
    Do you use WPA encryption? If you have the 4g's they came with a driver that hangs when trying to authenticate with WPA - you can solve this by:

plugging it in with a network cable
    pressing ctrl + alt + t
    typing 'sudo synaptic'
    check for available upgrades
    scroll down to find the 'atheros-swan-module....' driver
    right click on it and select 'mark for upgrade'
    press 'apply'

(working from memory there, so might not be 100%, but you should be able to work it out :P)

10. Thanks to Dom_ from:

Sylv3r (28th February 2009)

Thank Post
    We have got one EEE PC 901, which is the most PITA one possible! Size of the disk means that you cant do a full upgrade becuase there isn't enough room on the drive and the add remove software tool keeps saying download failed!!! Pretty annoying for a device which was so good in its first release.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamo View Post
    We have got one EEE PC 901, which is the most PITA one possible! Size of the disk means that you cant do a full upgrade becuase there isn't enough room on the drive and the add remove software tool keeps saying download failed!!! Pretty annoying for a device which was so good in its first release.
    If you are running through the school proxy server If I recall correctly you will need to set up an apt-get proxy. It will not use the one you set up in firefox.

It been a while since I did this but try this post apt-get proxy
    Last edited by JJonas; 27th February 2009 at 08:47 AM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by JJonas View Post
    If you are running through the school proxy server If I recall correctly you will need to set up an apt-get proxy. It will not use the one you set up in firefox.

It been a while since I did this but try this post apt-get proxy
    Yeah already got all that in, can update through apt-get but it runs out of disk space during the update!!! Added the oIdentd daemon through the debian etch repo and that works ok. Also updating the 901 through apt-get disables the CTRL-ALT-T shortcut from the pc cus it changes the IceWM config files in the local profile! Seems like Asus were really not thinking when they designed the 901 as it has been a bit of a let down for anything but light personal use.

Thank Post

Thank Post
    I cleared the APT cache after I found out about the 170kb I had left on the drive and it freed up 200m out of the 600mb partition of the union FS writeable partition. There are a lot of posts about the 901 on the eeePC wiki site re updating and its badly done repos, they include 2 files which don't seem to exist, you get one 404 error and one size mismatch when updating! Not great really :S

Thanks for your advice tho always appriciate the advice everyone gives on here

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread