+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
*nix Thread, Backing up zimbra in Technical; Originally Posted by dhicks If your server's not in production yet, you might want to set up your data store ...
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by dhicks View Post
    If your server's not in production yet, you might want to set up your data store using LVM instead of just a plain disk. That way you can do snapshots of disks, so you don't have to stop and restart services.

--
    David Hicks
    Do you have some more info on LVM please?

My mail server is just a test at the moment but I am trying to learn as I am going so when the time does come for a move I should know more than i do now, if you see what I mean?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    First, the extra forward-slash could be causing the problem - so remove the on in this line:

Code:
    mount -t nfs $NFSHOST:/$NFSPATH $NFSMOUNT
    Secondly, , do you have the NFS client installed (it's not by default)? Try running the showmount command - if it doesn't work then you need to install nfs-common I believe.

Running this command once you have it installed should give you details of the NFS exports:

Code:
    showmount -e 10.60.28.53

3. Thanks to webman from:

reggiep (25th February 2009)

Thank Post
    @Webman

See I told you I don't get linux!
    It works thanks webman. It was that nfs was not installed. Duh!

I now have a backup on my mac server's oversized direct attached storage.

Now then time to try to work out cron to automate this task. One question, it is cron I use isn't it?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by dhicks View Post
    Does Zimbra do something especially cunning or fancy with disks, then? Shurley the whole point of LVM is that LVM-managed volumes look just like any other block devices, the applications using them shouldn't be able to tell the difference. Does starting a snapshot make some noticable change to a block device? Wouldn't the block device just maybe take a couple of seconds to return from a read/write operation if it were right in the middle of setting up a snapshot?

--
    David Hicks
    The problem is that it will be a crash consistent state backup, if the database and services were not stopped before the snapshot. This may mean you end up with a corrupt database when using lvm.

The paid for version will allow online backup of the system with it's own utilities.

6. Thanks to DMcCoy from:

dhicks (25th February 2009)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by reggiep View Post
    Now then time to try to work out cron to automate this task. One question, it is cron I use isn't it?
    Lol

In Ubuntu, to edit the superuser crontab file:

Code:
    sudo crontab -e
    And for our backup:

Code:
    55 23 * * Mon-Fri   /usr/local/sbin/zmbackup.sh > /var/log/zmbackup.log 2>&1

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts

My mail server is just a test at the moment but I am trying to learn as I am going so when the time does come for a move I should know more than i do now, if you see what I mean?
    I would definitely encourage the use of LVM. Similar to webman, our zimbra was set up years ago when I didn't eppreciate the advantages of LVM. Now I set up all servers on our SAN using LVM. THere is a thourough guide (for RHEL/Centos) here: LVM Administrator's Guide The conecpts and CLI will apply to ubuntu if the gui doesn't.

9. 2 Thanks to CyberNerd:

reggiep (25th February 2009), webman (25th February 2009)

Thank Post
    Just searching for "Ubuntu LVM" will probably get you most of what you need to know. You'll need to make sure the LVM module is installed on your Ubuntu machine - "apt-get install lvm2" I think is what you want. That should install you the kernel module and a bunch of utilities. In particular the pvcreate, vgcreate and lvcreate commands are what you're going to need to set up LVM block devices:

Prepares a block device (partition, RAID volume, etc) for use as an LVM disk (in this case I'm telling Linux to use the whole of /dev/md0, a RAID volume - this will wipe any data from the entire RAID array):
    pvcreate /dev/md0

Creates a Volume Group (here called xenVG, but use any name you like), ready to create Logical Volumes inside of:
    vgcreate xenVG /dev/md0

Creates a logical volume (4GB in size, called ACSSPOOL007OS, and uses disk space from the xenVG Volume Group we created a minute ago):
    lvcreate -L4G -nACSSPOOL007OS xenVG

This will create a new "disk" device called "/dev/xenVG/ACSSPOOL007OS" that you can use as you would any other disk block device, i.e. instead of, say, /dev/sda1.

--
    David Hicks

11. Thanks to dhicks from:

webman (25th February 2009)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DMcCoy View Post
    The problem is that it will be a crash consistent state backup, if the database and services were not stopped before the snapshot. This may mean you end up with a corrupt database when using lvm.
    Hmm... Is there a way to also back up RAM and a seperate swap disk, all as part of the one transaction? I.e. if the Zimbra server was running as a virtual machine, is there a way to say "right, do a snapshot of RAM, swap disk A and data disk B... NOW"?

--
    David Hicks

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12