+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
*nix Thread, UBUNTU SUCKS!! in Technical; UBUNTU SUCKS..... the life out of my graphics card My server has ubuntu hh but it can only manage a ...

Thank Post

UBUNTU SUCKS!!

UBUNTU SUCKS..... the life out of my graphics card

My server has ubuntu hh but it can only manage a screen resolution of 800x600 the graphix card is a fully working ATI 7500.

In the screen resolution options ubuntu offers me resolutions of 800x600, 640x480 & 320x240, excuse me for a second Mr Ubuntu but what the hell use are those resolutions this is 2009 not1990!!

I've been on ubuntu forums and it seems I can coax higher screen resolutions out of ubuntu if open an archaic text editor and type what seems to be gibberish for the next 15 eons, (They also said I had to do the same for a mouse that does not work properly with ubuntu hh) No No No No No, I do not want to have to type thousand of lines of text just to get a basic stuff to work with ubuntu, I just want them to work.

The Ubuntu techs have got it so wrong, I will NOT sit in front of a text editor for hours on end fixing their screw ups, if something does not work with microsoft they chuck a few dollars at the prob and issue a patch simple.

I forgot to tell you lot of the time I ran the updates that Ubuntu said needing installing, the install finished, my server rebooted, I logged in and displayed in front of me was a completely different desktop layout/colour, different Icons, and different start menu, how mad is that, crazy, crazy & weird!! would that happen with Win 3.1 No, Win95 No, Win 2k No, XP No, Vista No, not even Win ME would through a wobbler like that.

If every I dip my toes in to test the linux waters they keep get badly bitten and mauled by bugs I'm hardly likely to stay with or recommend the system am I.

Phew!!!

Thank Post
    if you refuse to code anything, then why use linux at all?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,463 Times in 980 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Plus if you are running a server its better to use Ubuntu server (without a GUI anyway).

Never had those kind of problems with Ubuntu, works great and I love it.
    Last edited by sparkeh; 12th February 2009 at 03:59 PM.

Thank Post
    Interesting thoughts, but i'm going to have to go with the "you don't pay for it, what do you expect?" type answer.

Thank Post
    So have you installed the ATI drivers?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I've been on ubuntu forums and it seems I can coax higher screen resolutions out of ubuntu if open an archaic text editor and type what seems to be gibberish for the next 15 eons, (They also said I had to do the same for a mouse that does not work properly with ubuntu hh) No No No No No, I do not want to have to type thousand of lines of text just to get a basic stuff to work with ubuntu, I just want them to work.

The Ubuntu techs have got it so wrong, I will NOT sit in front of a text editor for hours on end fixing their screw ups, if something does not work with microsoft they chuck a few dollars at the prob and issue a patch simple.
    Ever heard of the windows registry? And Knowledge base articles that tell you to use regedit to mess with it? It's the same deal but worse.

Even better are the ones for Active directory that start "Open ADSIEdit...."

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,310 Times in 1,786 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Why have you posted this comment twice? I won't post my response twice, but here it is: Lost in an MS World

Thank Post
    if you refuse to code anything, then why use linux at all?
    So you reckon that all those people buying those pretty little netbooks will use them for coding on their titchy 7" screens and even tinier keyboards, of course they are.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    Why have you posted this comment twice? I won't post my response twice, but here it is: Lost in an MS World
    Likewise, mine's there too.

The folks buying netbooks get a pre-installed system as configured by the vendor, so they don't have this problem. (I assume you mean configuring, not coding. I wouldn't code on a netbook, it would take years to compile.)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,310 Times in 1,786 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by redsnappa View Post
    So you reckon that all those people buying those pretty little netbooks will use them for coding on their titchy 7" screens and even tinier keyboards, of course they are.
    They have a specific purpose, with all the devices set up beforehand (like buying a Dell with Vista on). If you are going to dabble in Linux on a machine that isn't certified for it/listed as supported then you are going to have to fiddle. That's life.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Woo... look at the negative rep go

Thank Post
    It's amazing what happens when you use the drivers that someone has lovingly coded for ATI on linux... I happen to have a Ubuntu machine at home, with an Nvidia card, which struggled to give decent resolution... until I installed the drivers...

So, you install windows XP on your machine... expect to get an amazing resolution without installing the drivers do you?!

Thank Post
    On your planet maybe.

Thank Post
    UBUNTU SUCKS..... the life out of my graphics card

My server has ubuntu hh but it can only manage a screen resolution of 800x600 the graphix card is a fully working ATI 7500.

In the screen resolution options ubuntu offers me resolutions of 800x600, 640x480 & 320x240, excuse me for a second Mr Ubuntu but what the hell use are those resolutions this is 2009 not1990!!

I forgot to tell you lot of the time I ran the updates that Ubuntu said needing installing, the install finished, my server rebooted, I logged in and displayed in front of me was a completely different desktop layout/colour, different Icons, and different start menu, how mad is that, crazy, crazy & weird!! would that happen with Win 3.1 No, Win95 No, Win 2k No, XP No, Vista No, not even Win ME would through a wobbler like that.

If every I dip my toes in to test the linux waters they keep get badly bitten and mauled by bugs I'm hardly likely to stay with or recommend the system am I.

Phew!!!
    I know what you mean, but windows in the old days (dos 5, windows 3.1 etc) was the same.

Playing with memmaker, IRQ's etc... those were the days, it used to take days for anything to work, and there was no internet to help.

I'd say Linux is a more powerful OS than Windows server, but with great power comes great responsibility (ok hassle!!)

If you want a Linus system that just works, like (allegedly) some Microsoft OS's, get a mac.

I hate macs, but it is a simple Linux OS!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by kmount View Post
    So have you installed the ATI drivers?
    My first thought exactly

Also i dont see the point of a GUI on a server. My Main server runs Arch which i havent even considered install X on

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast