+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
*nix Thread, UBUNTU SUCKS!! in Technical; Originally Posted by powdarrmonkey I'd also like to point out that the setting in question is one line in xorg.conf. ...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by powdarrmonkey View Post
    I'd also like to point out that the setting in question is one line in xorg.conf. That's really not so much to ask, surely?
    It makes you wonder how we ever coped back in the day? Back in the early 90's when I first got on the Internet I had to install a TCP/IP stack by hand, edit alot more config file than 'one line in xorg.conf', set up some dial up scripts, hard code a static IP and pray the thing would work. When it did I had a Terminal only session to the internet. There was Gopher but no pretty graphic WWW.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I have this problem if I am connecting to a CRT monitor or if I use a TFT via an DVI- Dsub adapter. to fix it I edit the xorg.conf and specifiy the sync ranges of the screen and also install the ATi driver.

As mentioned I would never run a *nix server with a GUI just use putty and ssh after you have it configured and I would only ever use a LTS version of ubuntu to server.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,391 Times in 1,853 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tmcd35 View Post
    It makes you wonder how we ever coped back in the day? Back in the early 90's when I first got on the Internet I had to install a TCP/IP stack by hand, edit alot more config file than 'one line in xorg.conf', set up some dial up scripts, hard code a static IP and pray the thing would work. When it did I had a Terminal only session to the internet. There was Gopher but no pretty graphic WWW.
    Indeed, I remember the fun of getting on the net with a mac classic computer and a natty little (little now meaning 'giant') 14.4kbps modem... There was certainly no 'stick your aol cd in and away you go'...

Thank Post
    If Ubuntu doesn't do what you want try another disto...
    Doh! Thatís like saying if you canít swim try different water

Gotta really ask the question why would you be running X (GUI) on a server anyway ?
    Ií dyslexic why you got a problem with that?

Is there a reason why the server is running *nix instead of Windows? Is there a reason why Win2k3 or Win2k8 server can't be used instead?
    I a very competent windows user I was just trying to find out if the grass was really greener the other side of the fence, It is not all Iíve found just ankle deep mud

I'd also like to point out that the setting in question is one line in xorg.conf. That's really not so much to ask, surely?
    Just to get a basic mouse to work??? Now way not me

It makes you wonder how we ever coped back in the day? Back in the early 90's when I first got on the Internet I had to install a TCP/IP stack by hand, edit alot more config file than 'one line in xorg.conf', set up some dial up scripts, hard code a static IP and pray the thing would work.
    I also remember editing autoexec.bats & msdex to get CDrom drives & mice to work with Win 3.11 but now way would I edit text to get one to work with a modern OS that sort of thing should be fixed by now.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,391 Times in 1,853 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by redsnappa View Post
    How is editing one line any different from clicking a couple of things like in windows?

I also remember editing autoexec.bats & msdex to get CDrom drives & mice to work with Win 3.11 but now way would I edit text to get one to work with a modern OS that sort of thing should be fixed by now.
    I still don't get your argument? You're saying that Windows never requests you to edit any config files/regedit any more?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Doh! That’s like saying if you can’t swim try different water
    Bad analogy there Mr Snappa - those are totally different things. Different distros use different hardware detection and configuration methods so it is a good suggestion to try. But you're obviously so disappointed with Linux now that anything we suggest to try and help is going to be dismissed with a "Why should I? That's too difficult! I shouldn't have to do that! Etc etc etc"

Thank Post
    Your attitude stinks, you clearly do not understand the point people are trying to make.

A modern OS such as Server 2008 (using your thinking) with Exchange 2007 in PowerShell, a command line environment Surely that's against your thinking?

Some people can handle getting under the hood making things happen, some can't, if you fall into the latter then continue with whatever you're happy with.

You do know that Ubuntu isn't even 5 years old yet don't you; the whole Linux community has done well getting people like ATI, & Nvidia to make closed source binary drivers to give the end user as close a performance offering as in Windows.

8. 2 Thanks to kmount:

powdarrmonkey (12th February 2009), RobFuller (12th February 2009)

Thank Post
    Doh! That’s like saying if you can’t swim try different water
    No, it's like saying if you don't like how your car drives, choose another (whereas you're saying, if you don't like how it drives, get the bus).

Why are there many tens of distributions available? Because they all suit different needs. Of the popular ones, and incredibly generalised:

Debian: people who want stability
    Slackware: people who like hacking (in the true sense)
    Gentoo: people who like software that will give them maximum performance, at the cost of having to compile it themselves
    Ubuntu: people who want a gentle introduction, or particularly like team package maintenance
    Mint: people who want apt's package management, but bleeding edge software
    Fedora: people who want to benefit from RedHat's init system
    RedHat: people who have companies with critical systems, and need support
    Knoppix: people who need live CDs for rescue

etc, etc, etc.

Choice. That's the Linux way. Don't like it? Do it differently - better still, make it work well, and then share it so other people benefit.

I a very competent windows user I was just trying to find out if the grass was really greener the other side of the fence, It is not all I’ve found just ankle deep mud
    Don't use it then, and don't coming to us harping on about how muddy it is: if we want to find out, we'll wade into it ourselves. Choice, remember?

It's not going to work any time soon then, is it? Your mouse works, you just haven't told it how you want it to behave.

It is fixed, you just fail at instructions. And kmount is right, your attitude is pathetic.
    Last edited by powdarrmonkey; 12th February 2009 at 08:19 PM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Mattx may want to print this post and frame it - I'm going admit a big failing in OS X (IMHO)

OS X in particular, and recent version of Windows to a lesser extent, wrap the end user up in too pretty a GUI and make thinks too easy with a point and click interface tha people forget what actually goes into making a computer work.

Back in the 8bit days when you turned a computer on an was dumped at a BASIC command prompt and you had to learn what was what and why.

Now for Joe Public end user, this is progress. My parents don't need to know any of this under the hood stuff and thats great. But I think at our level we should appreciate how complex any OS is and expect to get our hand dirty once in a while.

Now having to edit xorg.conf to get a mouse work is going a little bit far in 2009, I admit it. I'm surprised Ubuntu did play a little bit fairer. But seriously if Ubuntu doesn't work for you try another disto.

The difference between SUSE, Red Hat, Debian, Slackware, etc is equivalant to the difference between Mac OS and Windows or Atari ST's and Commodore Amiga's. They are simple not the same OS - just based on the same Kernel.

11. Thanks to tmcd35 from:

powdarrmonkey (12th February 2009)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,029 Times in 954 Posts
    As per above what about Knoppix ? Or free bsd ? Depends what you do most on the platform - you need to decide what your going to be doing most on that platform and go from there.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by tmcd35 View Post
    Mattx may want to print this post and frame it - I'm going admit a big failing in OS X (IMHO)

OS X in particular, and recent version of Windows to a lesser extent, wrap the end user up in too pretty a GUI and make thinks too easy with a point and click interface tha people forget what actually goes into making a computer work.

Back in the 8bit days when you turned a computer on an was dumped at a BASIC command prompt and you had to learn what was what and why.

Now for Joe Public end user, this is progress. My parents don't need to know any of this under the hood stuff and thats great. But I think at our level we should appreciate how complex any OS is and expect to get our hand dirty once in a while.

Now having to edit xorg.conf to get a mouse work is going a little bit far in 2009, I admit it. I'm surprised Ubuntu did play a little bit fairer. But seriously if Ubuntu doesn't work for you try another disto.

The difference between SUSE, Red Hat, Debian, Slackware, etc is equivalant to the difference between Mac OS and Windows or Atari ST's and Commodore Amiga's. They are simple not the same OS - just based on the same Kernel.
    yeah I agree with that - admittedly I have become very lazy and not bothered with man pages or learning whats under the hood figuratively speaking. Will try and make an effort during my holiday time to see if I can get around to doing some of that as would be nice to know how it works better. Although what you say is true I must say this :

OS X although being easy still gives users the opportunity to get your hands dirty ( just like any OS ). At the end of the day its down to the user on how far they go with it.

Almost like the matrix lol - here is the red and blue pill, if you take the red pill I can show you the rabbit hole and how far you go is up to you !!

This thread is starting to end up like the iphone one - I got an apple for me - not for anyone else - I enjoy apple stuff for the most part and it was my money that I earnt and spent so :P

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mac_shinobi View Post
    I got an apple for me - not for anyone else - I enjoy apple stuff for the most part and it was my money that I earnt and spent so :P
    Well said.

15. Thanks to powdarrmonkey from:

mac_shinobi (12th February 2009)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mac_shinobi View Post
    This thread is starting to end up like the iphone one
    It's always the problem with threads like this. They are so interesting in terms of comparing Bananas with Oranges but they so quickly descend into Oranges are better than Bananas.

I'm all for having a good honest discussing on the pro's and con's of the various OS options out there, god know's I have used and do use a fair few.

Ultimately you are right - It's horses for courses. We choose what is right for us and no one else. But there is a place I feel in these hallowed pages for discussing the options openly and helping the undecided discover the right option for them.

17. Thanks to tmcd35 from:

mac_shinobi (12th February 2009)

Thank Post
    Definitely - I can say that I have used windows and mac os more then anything else aside from maybe a linux live disc here and there - wasn't too keen on all the long command lines which is why I skipped linux for the time being.

They all have there advantages and dis advantages. At the end of the day its a tool and as long as your happy with what you use thats all that matters.

I do use boot camp and run windows on my mac just for the gaming aspect because I dont see why I should pay extra for the same game when on windows you can get doom 3 or the same game for less money ?

I don't understand that - maybe it runs faster and better on os x ?

What am I missing there lol.

My reasoning for getting a mac ( whether you or anyone else agrees or dis agrees with me ) is for the pure and simple reason that I can choose what operating system I want to run without limitations.

I can run windows , linux , OS X and run them ( from what I am aware - correct me if I am wrong though ) natively - using boot camp or vmware fusion or whatever.

As apposed to all these people using the x86 project that can only run in vesa mode from what I am aware and having to do all these hacks just to run OS X on a normal PC ( Non apple ).

If so many people hate apple / OS X or w/e then how come these companies keep going against the apple EULA / Licensing and are selling OS X Leopard or Tiger on normal None Apple hard ware platforms ?

Must be missing something again ( obviously ). Maybe someone can enlighthen me.

My Mac does what I want it to and Im happy

Thank Post

I still don't get your argument? You're saying that Windows never requests you to edi

I still don't get your argument? You're saying that Windows never requests you to edit any config files/regedit any more?
    To get a mouse to work? Not in over ten tears

A modern OS such as Server 2008 (using your thinking) with Exchange 2007 in PowerShell, a command line environment Surely that's against your thinking?
    No way, a mailserver is quite a complex system so command line in linux & windows & any other OS is more useful than gui in those instances but, now way will I edit text to get a mouse scroll wheel to work in any OS!!

All I'm saying is that if ubuntu wants to capture the market from serious windows users it has to work straight of the disk with no faffing about getting the basics to work thus leaving the users brain cell alone to concentrate on the really complex matters.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast