+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
*nix Thread, UBUNTU SUCKS!! in Technical; Originally Posted by Arcath Also i dont see the point of a GUI on a server. It's so that "sysadmins" ...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Arcath View Post
    Also i dont see the point of a GUI on a server.
    It's so that "sysadmins" who can't be arsed can bitch that a distro doesn't do what they need it to do because there aren't any suitable graphical tools.

Dammit, the only reason I use X at all is so I can fit more terminals on the screen...

To the OP, I suggest Windows Home Server (but of course, you'll have to pay for it to make up for your lack of effort).
    Last edited by powdarrmonkey; 12th February 2009 at 04:36 PM.

Thank Post
    Gotta really ask the question why would you be running X (GUI) on a server anyway ?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by powdarrmonkey View Post
    Dammit, the only reason I use X at all is so I can fit more terminals on the screen...
    Go ratpoison !!!

Thank Post
    Nah, Stumpwm. On-the-fly redevelopment

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jinnantonnix View Post
    Linux can be frustrating, if you don't know what to do. Once you get your head around the way it works, you appreciate it more.
    You can probably change "Linux" to "Just about anything in life" - you can certainly put "Windows", "Mac OSX", "Exchange" and every other IT thing in that category :-)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by srochford View Post
    You can probably change "Linux" to "Just about anything in life" - you can certainly put "Windows", "Mac OSX", "Exchange" and every other IT thing in that category :-)
    Nah. I've been trying to get my head round Vista and I still don't appreciate it more

Thank Post

ubuntu sucks

If users had to install drivers or geek tweek lines of code just to get a basic wheel mouse to work windows would never have got the monoply that they have.

Ubuntu need to learn this or it will aways be seen as a coders playground and not a serious OS

Thank Post
    ive personally only ever had problems with wireless drivers (mmmmm Broadcom), other than that its as simple as installing the drivers (just like windows).

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by redsnappa View Post
    If users had to install drivers or geek tweek lines of code just to get a basic wheel mouse to work windows would never have got the monoply that they have.
    They got their monopoly by arranging to have Windows pre-installed and pre-configured (e.g. users did not need to install Windows or drivers themself) on 99% of the world's PCs.

Thank Post

Ubuntu need to learn this or it will aways be seen as a coders playground and not a serious OS
    So don't use it. If you want an easy life, there is Windows (or Leopard, if you're that way inclined). If you want raw power, there's Unix. And if you want raw powered tamed a little, there's Linux. Deal with it.

But if you're prepared to put some time and effort in (and I mean >2 years, because that's how long it takes), you'll reap the rewards accordingly.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Arcath View Post
    (mmmmm Broadcom),
    Eugh, what a dirty word.

Depends on your distribution; with Slackware I had to fiddle to get wireless drivers working (but this was also a long time ago). With Debian I just said aptitude install b43 fw-cutter.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,053 Times in 974 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by powdarrmonkey View Post
    So don't use it. If you want an easy life, there is Windows (or Leopard, if you're that way inclined). If you want raw power, there's Unix. And if you want raw powered tamed a little, there's Linux. Deal with it.

But if you're prepared to put some time and effort in (and I mean >2 years, because that's how long it takes), you'll reap the rewards accordingly.
    Get an apple mac ( Intel one ) then you can run windows, linux or OS X - Just get the apple care for piece of mind and should be fine.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,455 Times in 1,899 Posts
    Blog Entries

Windows didn't have wheelmouse support when it came out, as they didn't exist! Then people created them, and aimed them at Windows.

But then, i've used at least 10 different wheel mice (including a Logitch MX laser mouse) and never had a single issue.

And yes, some of these mice do require drivers to work correctly in Windows.

Also, the millions of users who have shifted from Windows to Linux certainly don't see it as a 'coders playground'...

As has been said before, you get hardware that is compatible with a system, not get a system then hope it works with your OS choice.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    UBUNTU SUCKS..... the life out of my graphics card

My server has ubuntu hh but it can only manage a screen resolution of 800x600 the graphix card is a fully working ATI 7500.

I've been on ubuntu forums and it seems I can coax higher screen resolutions out of ubuntu if open an archaic text editor and type what seems to be gibberish for the next 15 eons,

The Ubuntu techs have got it so wrong, I will NOT sit in front of a text editor for hours on end fixing their screw ups,

If every I dip my toes in to test the linux waters they keep get badly bitten

Phew!!!
    If Ubuntu doesn't do what you want try another disto...

DistroWatch.com: Put the fun back into computing. Use Linux, BSD.

I personally like OpenSUSE. If you're stuggling to learn the basics of Linux admin then perhaps one of the 'Unleashed' books would be a good purchase...

[ame=http://www.amazon.co.uk/Fedora-Red-Enterprise-Linux-Unleashed/dp/0672330490/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1234465781&sr=8-2]Fedora and Red Hat Enterprise Linux Unleashed: Covering Fedora 10, Fedora 11 and Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5: Andrew Hudson, Paul Hudson, Tammy Fox: Amazon.co.uk: Books[/ame]

Is there a reason why the server is running *nix instead of Windows? Is there a reason why Win2k3 or Win2k8 server can't be used instead?

Failing all of that. If you can't/won't run Windows and Linux is not working, then there is Mac. BSD Unix with a fool proof GUI.

Thank Post
    I'd also like to point out that the setting in question is one line in xorg.conf. That's really not so much to ask, surely?

Boy, Slackware would fry your head...
    Last edited by powdarrmonkey; 12th February 2009 at 07:16 PM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast