+ Post New Thread
*nix Thread, NIC Rant... in Technical; I've tried to like Linux I really have... but every time it does the same thing and hacks me off ...
    Thank Post

NIC Rant...

I've tried to like Linux I really have... but every time it does the same thing and hacks me off

Tried a few OS distros, all installed then couldn't login to a session (graphics issue I think). Now ipcop won't recognise the Marvell NIC in the Shuttle appliance box I'm building for an outcenter... ffs it's standard kit

I'll get flamed for this but... in Windows that card would work

Apologies for rant but that NIC issue has really messed things up, just hope USB NICs might work but not holding my breath

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,486 Times in 1,928 Posts
    Blog Entries
    My advice to you is this - when you buy a computer, you look at the hardware you want to work with the OS you want to use. You wouldn't buy a PC and then put OS X on it...

Hardware compatibility is down to you to figure out. Also 'Marvell' network cards are not 'standard kit'. They are actually quite rare from what I've seen - we only have one type of computer in our school which has them, the rest making use of Realtek, Intel or Broadcom cards - all of which have been tested and work beautifully with Ubuntu.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by gshaw View Post
    I've tried to like Linux I really have... but every time it does the same thing and hacks me off

Tried a few OS distros, all installed then couldn't login to a session (graphics issue I think). Now ipcop won't recognise the Marvell NIC in the Shuttle appliance box I'm building for an outcenter... ffs it's standard kit

I'll get flamed for this but... in Windows that card would work

Apologies for rant but that NIC issue has really messed things up, just hope USB NICs might work but not holding my breath
    USB NICs will work but id go on the ipCop forums first as only a select few do, others you need to add the drivers yourself.

TBH if you stick with standard kit you shouldnt have a problem. Sounds to me like your marvell nic is abit of an odd ball (try a realtek one, they're only a fiver), ive certainly had less problems with *nix than i have with windows on the driver front and thats using some very weird and wonderfull SFF PCs. Sounds like you've just been unlucky on your choice of test rig
    Last edited by j17sparky; 30th January 2009 at 02:49 PM.

Thank Post
    Still a mass produced NIC even if not as popular as the others, it's not as if it's come out a cave somewhere

Just very frustrating that there's no way to get any extra driver support on for such a simple item in terms of hardware

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,486 Times in 1,928 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by gshaw View Post
    Still a mass produced NIC even if not as popular as the others, it's not as if it's come out a cave somewhere

Just very frustrating that there's no way to get any extra driver support on for such a simple item in terms of hardware
    Many things are mass produced... doesn't mean they work with your particular choice of operating system. (An analogy, you wouldn't buy a BMW brake disc for a Ford car).

Thank Post
    But then again we don't have a Microsoft computer or a Linux computer... although Macs could start another splinter off this

Just had so many frustrating experiences with Linux now, even had to wipe it off my eeePC now after aggro with the wireless software (at first thought it was doing a good job and was trying to get into how to do stuff on there). Just seems to be awkward where it doesn't need to be at times imho

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    I know what you mean !
    I've got a mass produced acer P2 233, I can't even install photoshop CS4 on it !
    and it won't even run vista ! I know I saw something about the system requirements but tbh it these programs should just work !

8. Thanks to CyberNerd from:

webman (30th January 2009)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    My advice to you is this - when you buy a computer, you look at the hardware you want to work with the OS you want to use. You wouldn't buy a PC and then put OS X on it...

Hardware compatibility is down to you to figure out. Also 'Marvell' network cards are not 'standard kit'. They are actually quite rare from what I've seen - we only have one type of computer in our school which has them, the rest making use of Realtek, Intel or Broadcom cards - all of which have been tested and work beautifully with Ubuntu.
    What Localz said is correct, Marvell Yukon are pretty rare, and very rare in LAN cards for that fact, they do have a Wireless division which is more known.

Ubuntu forums and wiki are normally good, sometimes its just trawling through information

Thank Post
    Looks like I'm out of the hole now, found a Linksys USB adapter in the drawer that seems to be picked up and based on Realtek chipset so fingers crossed.

Just want a Linux install to go smoothly for once lol before I become a penguin slayer

Usually hate onboard NICs with a passion unless they're Intel but had no choice in this case due to going for a small form factor box... typical it would end up being the awkward one as well!
    Last edited by gshaw; 30th January 2009 at 03:37 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,659 Times in 1,112 Posts
    Blog Entries
    If you want any install to go smoothly then check hardware compatibility first.

The great thing about Linux is that if it doesn't work, then chances are you can make it work.
    Years ago I had a wlan card that refused to work in Linux out the box, so studied the driver is was using, worked out why it wasn't working, modified so it did work.

Linux is great like that

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,717 Times in 2,302 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ahuxham View Post
    What Localz said is correct, Marvell Yukon are pretty rare, and very rare in LAN cards for that fact, they do have a Wireless division which is more known.

Ubuntu forums and wiki are normally good, sometimes its just trawling through information
    They aren't that rare anymore, all of the filthy Lenvo rubbish that we have got for the past year has had them included. They are newish though and so even Vista needs a driver to be downloaded and installed to make them go.

Thank Post
    Think I still would've been hacked off though, got around the problem just annoying it has to be a problem

I have a very low tolerance for bad drivers, lack of drivers and bad design - regardless of OS (had plenty of aggro about lots of Windows based stuff as well)

Marvell now joins AOL, Lexmark etc on the "stuff to avoid" list

Thank Post
    If you're going to shout at somebody, the only candidate is the manufacturer. If they provided drivers for their own hardware, a distro would have included them (they will even make it into the kernel over time).

Thank Post
    The Marvell Yukon is the worst of all cheapy Gig NICs.
    TBH, it will work as well as can be expected for such bargain bin kit in a Linux box, but being a fork of an old version of Smoothie Express, I know IPCop is missing the driver (sk98lin, I think). Fairly sure Express 3 has the driver and I know our commercial stuff does - I asked for it to be added after running into a few of these horror cards

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread