+ Post New Thread
*nix Thread, Bridging network connections in Technical; Hello all, Does anyone know how to bridge a wireless network connection with an ethernet network connection in ubuntu 8.10? ...

Thank Post

Bridging network connections

Hello all,

Does anyone know how to bridge a wireless network connection with an ethernet network connection in ubuntu 8.10? This is for my home network and the machine I want this to be done on used to run windows, and it is really simple to bridge the connections in windows. However for several reasons we now need to use on this machine ubuntu and I cannot find a way to do this.

Anyone have any ideas?

Cheers

Thank Post
    Have a nose here perhaps?

3. Thanks to kmount from:

_Bat_ (27th December 2008)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by kmount View Post
    Have a nose here perhaps?
    Tried that yesterday, I couldn't get it to work. But thanks

Thank Post
    Depending upon what exactly you're after doing you might be able to use "Firestarter" which is effectively a firewall but can use DHCP/NAT to "share" a connection. It might achieve what you're after?

Thank Post
    Depending upon what exactly you're after doing you might be able to use "Firestarter" which is effectively a firewall but can use DHCP/NAT to "share" a connection. It might achieve what you're after?
    No, I only really want one DHCP server which is either going to be my smoothwall box or router (I haven't decided yet). I had considered the above method of effectively having two different networks but that creates unnecessary work when making changes which affect the network as a whole. I know it's only a small home network in comparison to a corporate network, but it's actually bigger then most home networks and growing all the time with all sorts of devices which now require internet access and with my limited budget and the fact that other members of my family see it as my responsibility to pay for any networking equipment, I'm having to do things like this to get it all working as fast as I want it to lol. But I'd rather it was bridged to be honest. I'm also waiting for a reply from a LUG member who thinks there is a different way of bridging them, so I'll see how that goes

Thanks.

Thank Post
    Can I ask what you're trying to do? (or to which lug group you posted and I'll read there?)

Sounds interesting =)

Thank Post
    Can I ask what you're trying to do? (or to which lug group you posted and I'll read there?)

Sounds interesting =)
    Lol.

Basically wireless G was too slow and didn't have a long enough range for us. So I "upgraded" to wireless N (big mistake by the way... I've never had so many incompatibility issues - I know it's still in draft mode but wow).

So anyway, any devices around the house that are by themselves are either wireless N already or have no reason to be any faster then wireless G. However there is one "group" of devices all in the same location that need to be on wireless N. Rather than dishing out to buy a new NIC for each of them, I have decided just to buy a wireless N card for the PC, buy a switch and have them all utilising the wireless N card on the PC. I appreciate that them being used all at the same time would degrade speeds but I still believe it'd be better than all operating on wireless G.

Plus I want to stick with the wireless N NICs that I know work... I've had so much trouble getting all the different wireless N equipment to talk to each other that I'm scared to buy any more now it case it doesn't work with my current wireless N equipment. To be honest, I wish I'd waited until it was no longer in draft mode.

And then once I've got the network in this house sorted out, I want to set up a couple of VPN connections using the smoothwall box to other family members houses basically 'cos I like fiddling
    Last edited by _Bat_; 27th December 2008 at 10:39 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,123 Times in 1,025 Posts
    Saw this suggested on another thread :

https://secure.logmein.com/products/...pn.asp?lang=en

Not sure how much help that is to you

10. Thanks to mac_shinobi from:

_Bat_ (28th December 2008)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mac_shinobi View Post
    Saw this suggested on another thread :

https://secure.logmein.com/products/...pn.asp?lang=en

Not sure how much help that is to you
    I was not aware of this and thanks for the info. However I worked for two primary schools for a year and a half as their IT technician and due to the limited budget of primary schools I still have the "if you can do it legally for free, then do it that way" motto stuck in my head. Plus I'm impressed with the functionality of smoothwall (I didn't need it, I just like to play with it), but that logmein product may prove useful at a later date, thanks.
    Last edited by _Bat_; 28th December 2008 at 02:09 PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by _Bat_ View Post
    Tried that yesterday, I couldn't get it to work.
    In what way? I've just been setting up bridged connections for a machine with two network connections running virtual machines, which took a little bit of figuring out but I got it sorted in the end. The explanation that link goes to looked okay:

Install bridge-utils (apt-get install bridge-utils).

brctl addbr myBridge
    brctl addif myBridge eth0
    brctl addif myBridge eth1

Your wired and wireless connection should now be plugged in to the same "software switch" (i.e. bridge) and should be able to see each other. You'll need to add the above three lines to your rc.local script to have them run every time the computer restarts. Check what's configured with:

brctl show

At what stage did you encounter difficulties? Posting the output of brctl show might help, too.

--
    David Hicks

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread