+ Post New Thread
*nix Thread, Censornet problems in Technical; I'm running a censornet 3.36 box for our pupil proxy server, every day when i come in to work i ...
    Thank Post

Censornet problems

I'm running a censornet 3.36 box for our pupil proxy server, every day when i come in to work i get the same moan from the kids, "sir the internet doesn't work" I logon to the censornet web interface and notice that the web proxy has failed, i then click on the work fail and it starts up and goes green. Can anyone think of why this is happening?

Another question i have is when the kids go to internet explorer, they are presented with a logon box for them to enter their username and password, is there a way of making censornet work off the username and password that the kids used to log in rather than let them enter a username and password? I only ask as some kids let others user their username and password when someone's been banned from the internet.

Thank Post
    CN3 does not support transparent NTLM. Also the symptoms you describe used to affect me too. It is one of the processes it goes though overnight that seems to break it. My only advice is make sure you reboot every morning. None of the fixes I tried worked. Then again on another install it was fine so ......

3. Thanks to ChrisH from:

dezt (29th October 2008)

Thank Post
    Oh well, thanks for the advice, at least i know it's not my install thats broken.

Thank Post
    Would check to see your disk isn't full - that can cause random proxy death.

I believe CN4 supports NTLM - which is what you want for "seamless" logon - as we at SmoothWall have done for a few years now. I hesitate to use the word "transparent" when discussing proxy logon, as it is about the most overloaded word in the history of computing

I have yet to test a Censornet4 so I couldn't tell you how it stacks up against everyone else.
    Edit: also I'd be a teeny bit biased. But not much, honest

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by tom_newton View Post
    Would check to see your disk isn't full - that can cause random proxy death.

I believe CN4 supports NTLM - which is what you want for "seamless" logon - as we at SmoothWall have done for a few years now. I hesitate to use the word "transparent" when discussing proxy logon, as it is about the most overloaded word in the history of computing
    I have 90% free disk space on the censornet box.

I haven't used censornet4, mainly because last time i looked it was something i had to buy, (yes i'm a cheapskate) i'll look into the features of CN4 and see whether it is worth purchasing.

TBH i was only thinking of changing the way the kids logon so they can't share passwords, but seen as they can only logon to one PC at a time through CN3 it's not a big issue.

Thank Post
    You can set concurrent log on to the CN.

I am using Network Guardian these days for most computers, but I do have Censornet in place to handle non domain computers *prods Tom*

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisH View Post
    You can set concurrent log on to the CN.

I am using Network Guardian these days for most computers, but I do have Censornet in place to handle non domain computers *prods Tom*
    Chris - email me and I will activate your licence so you can use 2 Guardian boxes and handle non domain folk that way. This offer available to anyone who needs it

Will be organising a few site visits for some of our Devs to see if we can make domain vs. non domain work more nicely... LMK by email if you'd like to be part of our focus group.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread