Poll: What hardware are you using for censornet / dansguardian?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
*nix Thread, What hardware do you use for Dansguardian / Censornet? in Technical; I'm replacing our aging proxy server / mailserver / ex-dc (1) with a mailserver and proxy each on separate hardware. ...

Thank Post

What hardware do you use for Dansguardian / Censornet?

I'm replacing our aging proxy server / mailserver / ex-dc (1) with a mailserver and proxy each on separate hardware. Current proxy (SWS) doesn't cache and isn't as flexible as I'd like - it does have AV filtering though.

After reading up on squid and dansguardian I'm undecided as to production hardware. The kit I choose should be able to comfortably cache, filter and AV-scan a 2 meg line for up to 300 concurrent users, who'll be mostly just grabbing html and images.

I'm considering either a "proper" server of some description or a couple of load-balanced "workstation" spec machines. Rackmountability is a definite bonus since my server room (half of a once-wider corridor) is getting cramped.

What spec kit are people running?
    And for how many (theoretical) maximum users?
    Is is holding up ok?
    What mistakes did you make that I can avoid?
    How did you load-test the proxy before it went live? <-- the old proxy will be used until the new one is judged stable / correctly configured.

Cheers

(1) embc box, not my decision.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Re: What hardware do you use for Dansguardian / Censornet?

After reading up on squid and dansguardian I'm undecided as to production hardware. The kit I choose should be able to comfortably cache, filter and AV-scan a 2 meg line for up to 300 concurrent users, who'll be mostly just grabbing html and images.
    Low end P4 or Athlon system is fine. You'll need a decent amount of ram though. 512mb should work.

If you've got an old Dual Processor P3 system kicking about spare, that'd do just as well.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff
    If you've got an old Dual Processor P3 system kicking about spare, that'd do just as well.
    Annoyingly enough I do, but it's the old box that's being replaced / possibly kept on just as a mailserver. (I don't fancy replacing email + proxy at the same time).

I know squid isn't multi-threaded (or wasn't last time I looked), so is there significant benefit to dual processors - one processor doing squid-specific stuff and the other handling the mundane stuff?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,584 Times in 1,421 Posts

One of the HP DL140's that's currently on offer with a £250 rebate? 2GB of RAM etc...

Ben

Thank Post

We have been using an old AMD 2000+ with 512MB and 60GB drive, 1 x 100Mb NIC (INTEL) and 1 x 1000MB NIC (INTEL)

Software Installed:
    Smoothwall
    Dans Gaurdian
    ClamAV
    DSpam

Average User Load: 750 Users

Has not fallen over yet however I have a job setup to reboot the box and clear the cache each Sunday so that helps abit too.

Thank Post

Im using a workstation with 512 meg ram. Will be moving onto an old Dell P4 2 gig with 512 meg ram soon as it's a smaller form factor and will fit on shelf in my rack

Thank Post

I'm getting one of those DL140's with an extra 2gb ram installed, looks like I may be better off sticking the extra 2gb in my it support web server

Ben

Thank Post

Just so you know I think Censornet will only use a certain amount of memory (1 gig I think). You will have to alter something somewhere. You wont get anywhere near using 2 gig usage anyways.

Oh and it looks like you will have trouble with the network card drivers on that model see here

Building a Vanilla Squid/DG box will be fine but ofc you wont have some of the nice features of censornet but you can easily set up transparent auth easy enough of your home built one.

Thank Post

Thats ok I'll just take the extra 2 gig out and put in my other webserver then saves me buying the extra gig I was going to buy for that.

That censornet post is quite old though from last year so with the latest release it may work from the off will see when I get the machine.

Ben

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

I know squid isn't multi-threaded (or wasn't last time I looked), so is there significant benefit to dual processors - one processor doing squid-specific stuff and the other handling the mundane stuff?
    Well each squid process is single threaded. However there's nothing to stop you running multiple squid processes. Linux will balance these out between however many processes you have.

Dansguardian and Clam AV work the same way.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts

Check out the smoothwall hardware requirement calculator:

http://www.smoothwall.net/cgi-bin/i5specificationcalc

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,050 Times in 919 Posts

I use a Biostar 220M SFF PC with a Allied Telesyn 100MB PCI NIC on it as well as the on-board 100M. Its got a 40GB hard drive and 512MB ram, and 2.8ghz Celeron in it, total cost was just under £200 for it, serving 30 users, may seem overkill, but would have cost me more to fix up an old P3 machine, and also it fits in the small space next to my server.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by john
    I use a Biostar 220M SFF PC with a Allied Telesyn 100MB PCI NIC on it as well as the on-board 100M. Its got a 40GB hard drive and 512MB ram, and 2.8ghz Celeron in it, total cost was just under £200 for it, serving 30 users, may seem overkill, but would have cost me more to fix up an old P3 machine, and also it fits in the small space next to my server.
    I knew I'd seen a photo of that from someone on here.

Would anyone mind sharing load statistics from their setups? i.e hardware, cache size, disk setup (I was thinking of mirroring the system disk and leaving any others as individual cache disks) and peak load.

@cybernerd
    Just, had a look at that - it seems skewed based upon what I've read in other places, so I'm not sure if something smoothwall-specific (or paid version specific) is throwing it off.

My rough spec is 3Ghz processor, 2-3GB ram, mirrored system disk and then any other disks left as cache drives. I'm currently wondering if I'd get any noticeable (based upon number of users) performance benefit from SCSI disks.

Thank Post

We use Bloxx from http://www.packetdynamics.com . The actual hardware spec of ours is Intel Pentium 4 CPU 3.00GHz, 5506788 kB memory, 120GB disk, Red Hat Linux 8.0 3.2-7 (kernel version 2.4.29). Great product too; the pupils just love the Bloxx box :P

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by CyberNerd
    Check out the smoothwall hardware requirement calculator:

http://www.smoothwall.net/cgi-bin/i5specificationcalc
    Thanks for that. Our LA are trying to run this on a low spec server ...result = 82 very unhappy schools.

<update>
    Original server:- Dual 2.4ghz CPU, 1GB RAM. Guardian only seems to recognise 1 CPU on it tho'.

Moved it to VMWare, gave it 2 x 3ghz CPU, 2GB of Ram. - Still not very good....

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast