+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
*nix Thread, Daft Smoothwall Problem - All groups banned except Default in Technical; We have Smoothwall SG2008 and all the kids are mapped to the Default users group, they can access the internet ...

Thank Post

Daft Smoothwall Problem - All groups banned except Default

We have Smoothwall SG2008 and all the kids are mapped to the Default users group, they can access the internet fine.

I am trying to map our staff to another group such as F or G etc but no staff account can access any website. They get the Smoothwall block page saying "Reason:Your username is not allowed to web browse" - Group: F / Catagory: Banned Users

No doubt this is just me not configuring something correctly but I can't see for looking how to allow other Groups access through the Smoothwall.

Thanks

Thank Post
    Possibly:
    Guardian/Authentication/Settings - there's selections for blocked/filtered/unfiltered there.

That's the sort of n00b error I still make occasionally ;-P

3. Thanks to tom_newton from:

ssiruuk2 (16th September 2008)

Thank Post
    Ahh see I knew I was being useless / blind!

Thanks Tom

Thank Post
    I wonder if Tom has a (if title = smoothwall* than subscribe) command embedded somewhere, always prompt, and always exact!

Thank Post
    I don't have any automated methods... but I do have a team of highly trained owls trawling EG for me

I also get told off by my better half for EduGeeking from home - this occurs most frequently when there's things like "Masterchef" on the telly. Unfortunately, my typing is loud enough that i'm easily rumbled

Thank Post
    Next noob smoothwall question for you Tom, Youtube ..

Kids are blocked from youtube etc - that works great. I have got the staff group as "unfiltered" at the moment in the screen I could not see for looking.. - If a member of staff goes on YouTube and tries to run a clip the flash loading circle goes on spinning forever.

Any ideas?

I too get rumbled for doing things online, usually reading on here whilst the better half is watching some kind of TV show.
    Last edited by ssiruuk2; 16th September 2008 at 05:34 PM. Reason: cant type or spell :(

Thank Post
    Hmm, youtube should be fine. Take it there's nowt in the logs - shouldn't be as it is unfiltered.

Do you have AV on? Transparent or non-transparent filtering?

I'll play with it tomorrow in the office.

Thank Post
    Hi Tom,

You were right again. I have the AV turned on using the built in ClamD scanner. (Does anyone else use this? It has caught a couple of viruses in the last few months) Turned it off and youtube worked fine for a test staff user.. turn it back on, tried to tell the smoothie not to scan flv or swf files but still no joy. Sometimes the loading circle would be there for a couple of minutes and then the clip would load but seemed to fail more than it would work.

In the end I added in youtube.com and googlevideo.com to the "dont scan files from these sites" section, it then started working fine.

Thanks again much appreciated. Can I keep adding in all my stupid questions onto this thread of should I start a new one

Thank Post
    You're welcome to add questions here, there and everywhere - i'll usually find em - and they're *far* from the stupidest questions I have ever been asked. "Does MSN messenger need the internet" is a recent classic

ClamAV is pretty decent as a "belt & braces" technique alongside desktop AV. Ours nobbles 1 or 2 a month - when you are filtering it is less likely that folk get to the download site, and then there's the banned filetypes to overcome, so it is not so likely that you'll get anything to scan. Still, it's probably worthwhile in the long run.

Thank Post
    Hi tom

I have now got all the staff going through the smoothwall so we can log whats being accessed, (before they went through an open isa server). One problem is a couple of staff users arent being identified properly by ntlm and get put in the unauthenticated ips group. Any idea how can you troubleshoot this as they are in the correct group in AD.

One other problem is staff are complaining that streaming radio no longer works or it is very patchy if it does. Staff are unfiltered so not sure why thats happening.
    Thanks
    Last edited by ssiruuk2; 20th September 2008 at 10:18 AM.

Thank Post
    Call me Monday - Rob's better at AD troubles than me I am sure he's seen that one but can't remember what the answer was off the top of my head!

Thank Post
    I'm having problems with the streaming radio too.

Thank Post
    Streaming radio issues - gimme some sites and i will have a crack in t' morning patchiness is "unusual" tho we sometimes find apps "just stop working"... anyway, I'll have a sniff round!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Think i will add these Q and A to the Wiki sometime today.. think it will be useful.

James.

Thank Post
    OK... streaming radio on the BBC - flash version we can't make it fail. If you're having trouble with this one, do let me know the exact circumstances/symptoms.

Realplayer: may need firewall-openage https://support.smoothwall.net/index...id=221&nav=0,4

particularly irritating that I couldn't remember that as I wrote the damn KB article!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast