+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
*nix Thread, Daft Smoothwall Problem - All groups banned except Default in Technical; hi tom thanks for the call today. I spoke with a few members of staff and it seems that most ...

Thank Post
    hi tom thanks for the call today. I spoke with a few members of staff and it seems that most will be using bbc streaming radio using the "listen live" link, launches the iplayer applet thing and it seems it will work for a while maybe five mins max and then just stops and not reconnect. Everyone in our school (1700 users) goes through the smoothwall now so it gets a proper hammering! maybe our server is not spec'd up for the job? Cpu useage etc seems ok though.
    We are using a cheap hp proliant ml115 with 2 gb ram at the moment !

Thank Post
    Thanks for getting back to me! Always useful to have diagnostic info - helps improve the software for everyone.

Would have thought your server is up to snuff - plenty of RAM, and if your load average is not high then CPU is fine too (which is what I would expect).

I have a sneaky feeling what it might be though... I reckon it is using the web proxy, but only authenticating once, and then their auth times out.

Either:
    a) raise the auth timeout - this would make a good test. If the failure happens after 10 (i think thats default) mins almost exactly each time... you have your culprit. I don't think this is a long term solution though
    b) mark those domains as "do not auth" (guardian/auth/settings)
    c) fix the BBC's player

I will have a second look at this issue - I will admit we didn't exactly leave it playing for hours.

Thank Post
    Any idea how to increase the Auth timeout? Can't see it for looking (again!)

We already have BBC - Homepage and Mobius Communications Company Providing High Speed And Dial-Up Internet Access To Western Nebraska listed in the do not auth list on the smoothwall.

Cheers

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12