+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
*nix Thread, Secure Contractor/Visitor Internet in Technical; Originally Posted by E1uSiV3 If you have managed switches, why not vlan it? VLAN it to where? You're going to ...

Thank Post

Re: Secure Contractor/Visitor Internet

Quote Originally Posted by E1uSiV3
    If you have managed switches, why not vlan it?
    VLAN it to where? You're going to have to make a gateway for that VLAN somewhere. Simplest would be to make that a spare LAN interface on your WAN router and set some ACLs, but if you don't have a spare i/f then a linux NAT box would be fine.

Well unless your switches also route & implement layer-3 ACLs.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,584 Times in 1,421 Posts

We don't have control over out wan router as that is an lea managed service.

If I were to use a small mini-itx pc which can be bought with ipcop loaded and setup via cf card for £250 then this could be moved to where ever an outside salemans/contractor may require internet access. If I vlan'ed it then I would have to change that everytime someone wanted to plug in via a different network point.

Ben

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,584 Times in 1,421 Posts

Russ you may be able to do it by allowing certain macs address to access everything on the red rather than just say http and https using the full control firewall mod when I've got it all set up I'll have a look.

Though smoothie was giving me problems today so I did try an ipcop install but that didn't work properly either turned out to be a faulty nic on the red.

Ben

Thank Post

Sorry to bump but we have just initiated this as a test. Partly for external people coming in and partly to hook 'nasty' machines we get asked to look at from time to time.

Quick question though. We have it all set up, the safe NIC attached to the network pointing directly at the router. The unsafe NIC attached to it's own hub that ports are hooked into. We have set Smoothwall to be a DHCP and given it a different IP range and sub net and not touched the firewall, so only web traffic works. I am still a bit cautious as to how safe it is to just hook random and sometimes downright dirty computers to the network, even being segregated as it is.

Can someone allay my fears that all is well? Mainly along the lines of worst case scenario that a contractor comes in and has a nasty worm, hooks into the segregated network and nothing bad can happen. We have tried some tests, but with the completely different sub-net and range that seems to stop most things seeing anythign else, but as I said I'm still a little uneasy to blindly trust it!

ta

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12