+ Post New Thread
*nix Thread, Can't install Ubuntu 8.04 in Technical; My enjoyment of Ubuntu is steadily going downhill, i've gone from a happy 6.06 LTS user to being distressed by ...
    Thank Post

Can't install Ubuntu 8.04

My enjoyment of Ubuntu is steadily going downhill, i've gone from a happy 6.06 LTS user to being distressed by my Acer system fan issue in subsequent versions to now not being able to install the new LTS version

I have downloaded an Ubuntu and KUbuntu ISO and burned them both to CD a couple of times, i've also used the defect checker and it reports that the CD is ok. The problem is that during install it says copying system files gets to 22% then pauses and the whole system locks up.

Any ideas?

Acer Aspire 1313LC notebook

Cheers.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by cookie_monster View Post
    The problem is that during install it says copying system files gets to 22% then pauses and the whole system locks up. Any ideas?
    The beta version of 8.04 server from a couple of weeks ago didn't install properly on our new Dell servers, it messed up the installation of the Grub bootloader somehow. This might have been a relatively minor problem, and might have been fixed in the final version, but I really didn't have time to find out and simply switched to CentOS 5.1 instead. Then tried to get 8.04 server (final version) to install as a virtual machine under Xen running on CentOS 5.1, but the kernel version decided it was incompatible (sorry, can't remember exact error message, I just remember thinking "oh, sod it..." and re-using an old 7.04 install instead - will maybe try again this afternoon). 7.10 server running Xen on our new Dells simply kept on crashing, probably another kernel-related problem. I'm guessing your problem is something similar - something in the new 8.04 kernel is causing problems of some kind. Is there a "safe" mode in the kernel boot options screen when the install disk first starts up?

--
    David Hicks

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    The obvious thing that could be causing this is an APIC or IRQ handler bug in your bios or hardware. Please check for bios updates.

Failing that, you can pass a "noapic" flag to your kernel by appending it to your lilo/grub boot command.

However disabling apic may have unintended consequences.

As per the release notes for 8.04, upgrades and new server installations are recommended to wait until the 8.04.1 point release.
    Last edited by Geoff; 27th April 2008 at 05:38 PM.

4. Thanks to Geoff from:

dhicks (27th April 2008)

Thank Post
    I've managed to get it to install under Wubi for now so i can have a play.

It's most upsetting 6.06 was a dream but every version since has had issues.
    Last edited by cookie_monster; 27th April 2008 at 08:49 PM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread