+ Post New Thread
*nix Thread, Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron in Technical; For those that missed it, the Long Term Support version of Ubuntu was released today. Download Ubuntu | Ubuntu Desktop ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts

Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

For those that missed it, the Long Term Support version of Ubuntu was released today.
    Download Ubuntu | Ubuntu
    Desktop Support until 2011 and server support until 2013

Apparently it does simple Active Directory integration which I'm sure will be useful to many
    features:
    Ubuntu 8.04 Beta Release | Ubuntu

Thank Post
    Excellent, now if only i can fix the system fan bug then i can run it on my Acer Aspire 1313LC notebook. I've been running the last LTS version which is fine but every version since runs the fan at full tilt all the time :-(

Thank Post
    Mmm, I'm running it and can't work out why java appears broken for me but was fine in the beta...

Thank Post
    Broken in what way?

Thank Post
    Sorry, I should have been more accurate. - The mozilla plugin doesn't appear certainly for me to install properly as it doesn't show in aboutlugins in neither ff3 or 2. - This was a noted issue early on Hardy development but later on it seemed resolved.

Probably my fault mind you!

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,570 Times in 2,187 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by kmount View Post
    Sorry, I should have been more accurate. - The mozilla plugin doesn't appear certainly for me to install properly as it doesn't show in aboutlugins in neither ff3 or 2. - This was a noted issue early on Hardy development but later on it seemed resolved.

In the release notes they said something about ditching the full version of Open office and Java so that it would still fit on the CD. There is still a cut down version of OO but if you want the full install you've got to download it seporatly.

Ubuntu 8.04 Release Notes | Ubuntu

OpenOffice.org database, Java, equation editor support

For reasons of disk space, the database and equation editor components of OpenOffice.org, as well as Java integration support, are not included on the installation CDs. To get the full OpenOffice.org suite after install, you can select "OpenOffice.org Office Suite" from the Applications -> Add/Remove menu, or install the openoffice.org metapackage using the package manager.
    Last edited by SYNACK; 25th April 2008 at 07:59 AM.

Thank Post
    Will be testing this on my Acer Aspire 7720g today will post the results here today.

Thank Post

Using Ubuntu with Active Directory

Hi,

I'm sure that this is a really silly question as i dont know much about open source software... Can Ubuntu work on an Windows Active Directory Domain?

How easy is it to get it to work if it is possible i have spotted that Likewise Open is on the ubuntu website, is this the right thing to use?

Does anyone have a site that just runs Ubuntu?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cookie_monster View Post
    Excellent, now if only i can fix the system fan bug then i can run it on my Acer Aspire 1313LC notebook. I've been running the last LTS version which is fine but every version since runs the fan at full tilt all the time :-(
    If you start a new thread and post your hardware information, I can probably tell you what to do to fix that (assuming 8.04 didn't).

Quote Originally Posted by drewp View Post
    Hi,

I'm sure that this is a really silly question as i dont know much about open source software... Can Ubuntu work on an Windows Active Directory Domain?

How easy is it to get it to work if it is possible i have spotted that Likewise Open is on the ubuntu website, is this the right thing to use?

Does anyone have a site that just runs Ubuntu?
    Yes, it can run quite happily as a member server.

You need to configure Samba, Winbind, Kerberos and PAM (plus any extra services that need to be AD aware).

Not *just* ubuntu, however most of my server infrastructure is either running on Ubuntu 6.06/8.04 or will be moving towards it. The only Windows servers I am planning to have left are my DCs and Terminal servers.

Many of my thin clients are also Linux based.
    Last edited by Geoff; 25th April 2008 at 09:51 AM.

Thank Post
    @Geoff: i'll do that later cheers. It wasn't fixed in a recent beta, apparently it's a common issue but i couldn't find a fix.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Geoff View Post
    If you start a new thread and post your hardware information, I can probably tell you what to do to fix that (assuming 8.04 didn't).

Yes, it can run quite happily as a member server.

You need to configure Samba, Winbind, Kerberos and PAM (plus any extra services that need to be AD aware).

Not *just* ubuntu, however most of my server infrastructure is either running on Ubuntu 6.06/8.04 or will be moving towards it. The only Windows servers I am planning to have left are my DCs and Terminal servers.

Many of my thin clients are also Linux based.
    I was thinking about the possibility of using Umbuntu for desktops rather than upgrading to vista...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,309 Times in 1,785 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I was thinking about the possibility of using Umbuntu for desktops rather than upgrading to vista...
    Ubuntu... Ubmuntu sounds like a mix of umbongo and ubuntu :P

But yeah, that is my eventual thought too. The constant licensing for MS stuff is ridiculous.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    You will have to evaluate all your current software and either find equivalent alternatives or use a terminal server to provide your current applications.

Thank Post
    Ubuntu Hardy Heron on my Acer Aspire 7720G.

Straight easy install from the cd. (looks like the install screens have been resized to fit onto a 7 inch screen)

Sound,GFX,Lan,WLan,Webcam,Cardreader all worked straight away with no driver install or problems.

Firefox now has a setting to allow it to use the same proxy as the system, saves having to switch it in 2 places everything i go home.

have encountered a small glitch, can not see windows shares, it shows all the machines on the network but no shares, if i type in the share name in the address bar it shows it with no problems at all.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by kmount View Post

The issue was openjdk being installed as part of ubuntu-restricted-extras.

Solution in my case was to flatten and reinstall ubuntu, install sun-java6-plugin and sun-java6-jre and hey presto job done.

I'm not planning on reinstalling the restricted-extras just incase it breaks it =p

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread