+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
*nix Thread, Windows Software On Linux in Technical; Hello. I was thinking about setting up a little network at home. I have 3 Windows XP computers and I ...
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Windows Software On Linux

Hello.

I was thinking about setting up a little network at home. I have 3 Windows XP computers and I was thinking about building a server and installing linux on it and them 3 XP computers will be connected but what I wanted to know if I will be able to install Windows software on the Linux server so the connected XP computer could use the programmes on the server, so will I?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,773 Times in 1,529 Posts
    Blog Entries
    If you want to connect XP clients to the Linux server you will need samba server. This alredy comes with a lot of Linux distro’s. If you want to run Windows apps on Linux you need something called wine www.winehq.org

Z

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Thank you very much, I suppose AOL will not connect with this? But anyway I can always get the computer to connect individualy. What specs would my server need?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I suppose AOL will not connect with this
    What do you mean?

Doesn't need to be a good spec machine. 1Ghz processor, 256MB Ram, and enough storage for your files.

Z

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Well, I use AOL Broadband and from the research I did AOL software can not be run on Linux even using Wine unless you use around AOL 4.0

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    You donít need the AOL software even on Windows. I donít recommend using it. How do you connect to the internet? Via a wireless router?

Z

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Yes, I do connect via a wireless router but people my parents like using the AOL Software. I know you don't need the software to connect but I wanted to run a network as I do all the computer stuff in my house so I thought it might be better if I ran a server and had control all over the computers.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Yes that’s fine you can't use AOL software on the server but you can use firefox or something to surf the internet. Allot of Linux servers don't have a GUI and all command line based.

Have you considered using Windows Server? You can download free 180 day evaluations. You can even buy cheap used servers on eBay with a Windows Server COA.

Z

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Plus with Windows server you will have more control over Windows clients. If you want to join the clients properly to a network and have control you must have Windows XP Professional.

If you are use to Windows I would start with Windows Server.

That’s just my view.

Z

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    I do all the computer stuff in my house so I thought it might be better if I ran a server and had control all over the computers.
    Sounds like a good plan. You should probably install squid proxy server and dansguardian on the server too. This way you can restrict the sites that your parents are visiting, and make sure they don't go to anything inappropriate!

Make sure linux is supported on your wireless access cards. you can probably test theis by running a live distro from the CD. ubuntu will do this nicely.

Thank Post
    You could install a Windows XP Virtual Machine on one of the computers for your parents to use for the AOHell software.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    "Make sure linux is supported on your wireless access cards. you can probably test theis by running a live distro from the CD. ubuntu will do this nicely."

He’s only using Linux on the server and keeping the clients on XP. I think.

CyberNerd's idea about a proxy is good but i would old back until you are more familiar with Linux and network etc.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by FN-Greatermanchester View Post
    If you want to run Windows apps on Linux you need something called wine www.winehq.org
    Z
    Another option is virtualisation using something like bochs or xen. I've run Science Investigations from the Focus On Science Series under Win98 running via bochs on FC6. It runs just like the real thing, even down to crashing. However on a native Win98 host, the crash terminates the program, but under emulation doesn't and you can carry on with your experiment. Under wine, the option that causes the crash doesn't do anything, so it is even more stable that running under native mode.

Interestingly, Win98/bochs running on an AMD Sempron 1500 MHz with 256MB ram runs at close to native speed (98%) but on a Intel Dual Core 1.83 GHz with 1GB ram it only runs at about 35% native speed. Both machines are running FC6. I do not understand why the superior machine has such inferior emulation speed.

I know of sites that have had very bad experiences of Windows Terminal Services. I've seen Flash applications quickly cripple a dual Xeon 4GB server that was supporting 5 terminal service clients. Tread carefully if you go this route.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I know of sites that have had very bad experiences of Windows Terminal Services. I've seen Flash applications quickly cripple a dual Xeon 4GB server that was supporting 5 terminal service clients. Tread carefully if you go this route.
    Hes a young guy doing a home setup so i doubt the will go down that route.

How old are you by the way?

Thank Post
    When you say you want your XP clients to run applications on the server what exactly do you mean?

If all you want is a shared dumping ground on the server and a means to share printers etc out then linux or windows will do it no problem.

If you want to ceate a terminal server so you can have your parents run software directly on the server through Remote Desktop then you will need to run Windows or if the software works on linux, you could use VNC.

The AOL software can still be used on their windows PCs without affecting your linux/windows server. - Mind you, if you have a router, thats a good enough excuse in my book to bin the AOL software.

Bit more info will help us establish what you might need.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast