+ Post New Thread
*nix Thread, Karoshi 5.2 BETA - Available in Technical; We have a BETA of Karoshi 5.2 out today( www.karoshi.org.uk ), it has the new fantastic.....Web Management! This new system ...
    Thank Post

Karoshi 5.2 BETA - Available

We have a BETA of Karoshi 5.2 out today(www.karoshi.org.uk), it has the new fantastic.....Web Management! This new system not only makes Karoshi easier to use, but allows you to manage your system across the Internet. Karoshi has also been fully updated with the latest software, and we have removed unneeded items and questions that were asked within the installation, hopefully making it quicker to install.

As I said this is a BETA, the final release will have more functions and features added to the web management, Zimbra as an email/groupware option and it will be fully tested.

Karoshi is an operating system designed for schools, it was originally created to replace RM systems with a Linux alternative. It has been designed not only for schools with techies, but those who are still being looked after by teachers too. Main aims at the moment are to keep the system interface simple to use but to widen the features available, to make sure that no scripts, consoles etc are needed to run the network(but not so locked down that people who want to play can't) and to improve the installation so that it is quicker and easier to install by non-Linux users.

Even if your not interested in a move to Linux and/or Karoshi we would still be grateful if you test for us, all you need is one machine, doesn't have to have a net connection can be stand-alone for testing purposes, unless you want to join a Windows Client to it as well. Email us responses/problems/ideas and we will try and get them into the final release.

Thanks,

Jo
    Last edited by linuxgirlie; 11th February 2008 at 01:56 PM. Reason: Added Desciption..

Thank Post
    You don't mention what it is or what it does?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    The website says "Karoshi is a server operating system designed for schools, providing a simple graphical interface for easy installation and maintenance of your network."

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by webman View Post
    The website says "Karoshi is a server operating system designed for schools, providing a simple graphical interface for easy installation and maintenance of your network."
    I meant in the post on here. Just thought it was kinda important to mention without having to go look at the website to find out what the added web management is going on top of

Thank Post
    Ah sorry about that. I'll edit the main post with a description.

Thank Post
    hehe ok, didn't mean it in a mean way

Thank Post
    I downloaded and set up the single server inside a virtual machine earlier, but didn't get a chance to test it though. I really do like the sound of what this offers. If you could integrate an LTSP server too, you'd pretty much have all bases covered.

How's the integration with XP clients?

Thank Post
    We do have an LTSP server but it is on a separate client dvd (because of all the packages installed.) We have it running at Dover Grammar School for Boys with Fat and Thin Clients and it works fine. We are going to release the the client dvd, but I have been off work for the last 5 weeks after an op, and that is were I edit/test the client system.

XP integration is basically that you can join it to the domain (linuxgrid) and it already has preset profiles for users - ict admin, staff, yr2007, yr 2008 etc etc, it also has a feature that allows you to install software remotely on the windows clients too. urmm, there are more but I can't think of them off the top of my head so I might have to post again later!

Thanks,

Jo
    Last edited by linuxgirlie; 12th February 2008 at 10:24 AM. Reason: Added School name instead of just 'Dover'

Thank Post
    Currently our managed service prevents us from switching our servers, unfortunately.

Cheers for the info, though. I love how this is going, so I'm going to find a use for it somewhere.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread