+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
*nix Thread, eee ASUS PC - Integrating into School Networks in Technical; This is just me rambling here but how about Edugeek(ers) producing the "How to Integrate the ASUS eee PC into ...

Thank Post

eee ASUS PC - Integrating into School Networks

This is just me rambling here but how about Edugeek(ers) producing the "How to Integrate the ASUS eee PC into your school network"

The device is aimed at our establishments but as it stands its a nice toy but as soon as you try to get it to save files into user home areas and print to the nearest printer - life gets a bit tricky for the average users (e.g pupil)

I myself have modest requirements - just need it to print to THE printer and be able to easily navigate to THE shared folder

How about it people - you've hidden your *nix talents under a bushel for years - if we (i.e. you ) can get this little gem to be a really really useful engine, then its kudos all round and win win win for everyone.

This is just a kick-off post.

One suggestion I'd make is if the experts haven't got one of these - then Edugeek uses it contacts and gets a few units out to a team of people to get them started.

regards

Simon

Thank Post
    We haven't got that far yet as we're just trying it with rdesktop for terminal services access with a redirected local folder for transferring between on and offline use. Besides the slightly dodgy wireless management, it seems all good.

Have you tried this for connecting to a Windows share? http://wiki.eeeuser.com/howto:setupsamba

Thank Post
    Our eee's connects to the NFS server with no problems. It also prints via CUPS straight out of the box, so it is fully integrated into the network.

Thank Post

We think they are wonderful

Here at Hutton Grammar, we bought one of these the other day and think they are fantastic - with a couple of reservations about screen size and battery life. We are seriously considering buying these for all our 6th formers and Teachers if not for classroom use as well. We have only had it 2 days so far, but I'll let you know as and when we get it working on the network. Our Head tech didn't seem to see any insurmountable problems while we were having a look last night. I'll check about local storage and printing and post back. As the initial post mentioned, it would be fantastic if everyone pooled their expertise in the early days. I'm going to investigate the use of external memory cards for installing the operating system and booting from, so that we can quickly slip in a clean one if one of the students messes one up.

Check out forum.eeeuser.com and www.eeeuser.com.

As the operating system is Xandros, which I think is Red Hat based, do we have any experts in the house?

When I get time, I may install the eee ubuntu distro as I'm more familiar with that. What does anyone else think?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    If somebody would like to donate one to me (purely for devlopment purposes only you understand) then I will gladly take a look at this

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    My main concern is still the security on the eeepc - passwordless sudo.
    There are several operating systems people have tweaked onto eeepc and Installing something other than the default xandros has to be the way forward unless you want to see a lot of bricked laptops. eeexubuntu looks ok - but slow to boot (I only tried on a usb stick) eeeos is debian based and looks promising as a base to build upon.
    http://eeeos.interactivelaboratories.com/

I would approach the problem starting with eeeos and building it into something for school windows networks, combining Terminal services. Probably transplanting the original AsusLauncher onto eeeos would be good for kids (it lives in /opt and runs over icewm). XP will be a quicker route, but I honestly think it'll curl up and die after a few weeks usage.

Thank Post
    i am currently testing one of these. I have the white Asus Eee-PC 4gb model. I have installed XP Pro SP2 and followed the guidlines to cut remove certain un-needed windows files. I have done a windows update to bring it up to date and then removed the files that are kept. I have install SiMS and Office 2003. I am really impressed with it. We are going to trial these with PE staff instead of PDA's.

Later today i will be installing Sophos and I'm sure this will give it a full test.

Thank Post
    Personally, I would say forget trying to do this with the Linux, it's just going to be too complicated for most users, especially in primary.

Bung XP on it, join it to the domain if you have one, or even if you don't it's a damn sight easier to do the printing and sharing with Windows.

I find it runs XP just fine too!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by crc-ict View Post
    Personally, I would say forget trying to do this with the Linux, it's just going to be too complicated for most users, especially in primary.
    Do you have a link to any published studies on this?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by crc-ict View Post
    On the contrary, the AsusLauncher could not be more simple, it is ideal for primary.
    The launcher will transplant quite easily.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by nickholme View Post

As the operating system is Xandros, which I think is Red Hat based, do we have any experts in the house?
    Xandros is debian based the same as ubuntu.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xandros
    http://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=xandros

Thank Post
    IS THERE SOME TROUBLE READING AROUND HERE

My post was a "what do you think of this as an idea"

I was particulary impressed by the "we're all right" post by openhgs

I'd had more luck asking a Reception class

The question (re-worded where needed ) is

Do you think its a good idea for us Edugeekers to step up to the mark and turn this little toy into a useful device on our (mainly) Windows networks

with a supplementary of

Are you interested/capable of helping achieve this

and

Could our Edugeek masters get some of these machines to the likes of webman from their many contacts they now have?

This thread is intended (hopefully) to be a shing example of what Edugeek could be - please flame/lambast/argue in another one

regards
    Simon
    Or Post insults to me via PM

Thank Post
    It's probably because you are going about it the wrong way, like the government and becta.

You are trying to find a problem for technology to solve.

You should look at it this way:

What is it I want to do? Can the Eee PC help?

Thank Post
    My post was a "what do you think of this as an idea"
    in principal yes. it's a great Idea. I don't think your trying to find a problem for technology to solve, I see that the problem is clear - eeepc is a potentially valuable teaching resource because of its size and cost, but it needs to be modified because of its shortcomings.

I propose we have a long argument about what to call our new operating system. I vote eeEdugeekix ! we can then argue some more about whether to base it on debian,redhat etc.

Meanwhile, I'll have a go on eeeos when I get some time

15. Thanks to CyberNerd from:

SimpleSi (24th January 2008)

Thank Post
    We are looking at a product from centrify http://www.centrify.com/

Basically, about 150 per domain controller and 25 per linux PC you want plugging into AD

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast