+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
*nix Thread, Looking to play with Linux... in Technical; I've been using various linuxes for a few years now, both at home and at work. Some things are easier ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    I've been using various linuxes for a few years now, both at home and at work. Some things are easier and some are more difficult initially. We have a lot of linux servers, so its much easier to integrate with those.
    Probably 95% of things I can do in ubuntu, but I have a permanent rdp session to a MSAD domain controller for things like adding accounts (technically it is possible to do it natively with ldap, but more work). These things will get easier now that the EU has ordered MS to release the documentation of their server protocols. konqueror (kde) has some nice features like smb:// to shares, and email etc is simple enough (I had some issues with dolphin ).
    Any kids come in with MOOXML or works files then they get a copy of OpenOffice gratis.

Thank Post
    I am in the same boat as you.... and like people have said you just have to dive in and get on with it.

I have a machine at work, nothing special with ubuntu, and i understand your furtration with it sometimes, but it does get easier.

I tend to just mess about from home, just SSH into the box and off you go.

If you get stuck there is plenty of people on here that know *nix inside out, all you gotta do is fire the question.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Niraj View Post
    If you get stuck there is plenty of people on here that know *nix inside out, all you gotta do is fire the question.
    This really is the best bit! there is no limit to what you can know because all the information needed is freely available, you just have to know where to ask the question. You just can't get to the end of the road like with a lot of proprietry products.

Thank Post
    I'd stick with Ubuntu i've been using it for a while now and you soon get the hang of using sudo it's good practice. You can use a version of RDP to connect to a teminal server but to be honest if you're managing a Microsoft network stick with MS management tools or have a management station for changing passwords and so on. It's also a good idea to be running a similar setup to what you are supporting, i'd stick to dual booting or running Ubuntu on your home PC's to start.

Thank Post

The same boat

I was in the same boat as you a few months back. Wanted to learn linux, kept playing with VM's but wanted to jump in.
    Now my main PC at home is Fedora 8, my laptop is Ubuntu 7.10 and my other pc's still run XP.
    What I did is set up a virtual machine within fedora to host an XP installation(using same licence as was on the machine previously) so that I still have XP functionality available immediately. I keep this open on desktop 2 'just in case'.
    I really rarely use it as most tasks I can perform in linux now without even thinking about windows.
    Added benefit is that I can easily ssh to the linux box and perform many tasks remotely with ease. Even from behind a firewall.
    I have Vista on another hard drive that I can boot to if needed also but I never bother, just takes forever, even on my system which is pretty beefy.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by techyphil
    With more job descriptions saying "Experience with Linux or OSx" I really need to pick it up
    When learning anything it's always good to have a real task to complete using whatever it is you're trying to learn, rather than just make-work. A suitable task might be "make a home server". I see Windows Home Server based machines are starting to be sold to the home market, so now might be a good time to figure out how to make your own similar Linux based machine. I'm figuring I'll get a fanless motherboard and processor, a silent case and a couple of SATA harddrives and caddies. I'll build a server and install Linux on it, ready to backup my files, be a broadband router, be a wireless access point, be a web server, etc.

--
    David Hicks

Thank Post
    i seriously think the most convenient way to learn linux is on the eee....
    You don't even need to mess around with installing ubuntu on it, just switch it to full desktop mode in less than 5 commands and you've got a fully functioning Xandros KDE install. Plus you've got a ready made restore CD. Take it anywhere, learn linux anywhere and have seriously impessive wifi web browsing on something that ways less than a kilo and doesn't get too hot. It's amazing and the full xandros desktop is a great intro to learn linux for a power user.

Even entering terminal commands on the itty bitty keyboard brings a great big smile to you're face....

Thank Post
    if you want to try linux then my vote has to go to http://www.linuxmint.com/

It's a customised version of Ubuntu (a lot of distros are these days), the current version is based on the latest Ubuntu 7.10. But it's just nicer, better gui, media codecs built in, and looks a little more "windowy" so easier for beginners.

However as a geek I find it's good to know a lot of commands for the terminal, but I've had a lot of experience managing web servers so I already had that.

Thank Post
    I found the best way to PROPERLY get into linux is to use it everyday,

id format your machine with linux, either debian, ubuntu, redhat or suse, one of the mainstream ones so you get the support

then install a program called virtualbox which is free, and run XP in that... Its funny but my virtual XP machine starts faster and runs faster than when XP was the only OS on the machine :\ weirds me out thinking about it sometime...

Thats what i do here... so i can have my 4 virtual desktops, 3 for working on, and 1 with my Virtual machine always running so i have quick access to SIMS

hope this helps..

Thank Post
    Well, managed to get hold of Testout Linux training cd's so I think i'll give them ago first. Get an idea how it all works.

Thank Post
    I'd say Virtualbox on XP, with a linux VM if you're not sure of yourself, to be honest..not the other way about.

I dualboot my home rig between XPSP2 and Ubuntu Gutsy. Still got a bug with Nvidia though on Linux..gah.

Thank Post
    I'll echo what people are saying about needing to use it everyday to get a feel for it.

I've had Linux on dual boots for years (I even once had 4 different OS installs on my PC) and I never ever bothering using it in the end.

Last time I had to rebuild my PC my XP disk disapeared off the face of the earth so I installed Linux instead. I now use it daily at home.

I use PCLinuxOS, ubuntu wouldn't play ball with my graphics.
    Last edited by K.C.Leblanc; 16th January 2008 at 09:42 AM.

Thank Post
    Big lesson learned by me this week.

Linux hates ATI

nuff said

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Indeed, I'm currently fighting with flgrx

Thank Post
    Finally got it set up. I now have OSX Leopard, Ubuntu 7.10 and Windows XP on my Macbook Pro. Full decent triple boot, with all devices working in all OS using refit as the boot manager. It's pretty sweet and worth the hard work and tears.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast