+ Post New Thread
*nix Thread, Spacewalk in Technical; Hi All, For those of you who run many Linux servers be it RedHat based or Debian or any other ...
    Thank Post

Spacewalk

Hi All,

For those of you who run many Linux servers be it RedHat based or Debian or any other really... check out Spacewalk!! Spacewalk: Free & Open Source Linux Systems Management

Brilliant piece of kit, I have built my server and have just updated all my Linux servers / machines in one go... faster too as I'm pulling my updates from a spacewalk local repo.

Good package management too .. you can add/remove packages from Linux - and even build full machines straight from spacewalk using Cobbler, using the packages you select.

If you only have a small server base I guess it'd be a bit of overkill but I have at least 10-15 servers so I find it much easier scheduling updates via this than using each server or using crons directly on the server itself.

Check it out.

2. Thanks to cpjitservices from:

nephilim (28th February 2014)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,867 Times in 1,385 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Wow...my old company could do with this so I shall send them the link. Would save hassle when they have like 300 servers running!

4. Thanks to nephilim from:

cpjitservices (28th February 2014)

Thank Post
    Yeah, needs a lot of space.. the Postgresql DB needs 12 gig alone, then the repos take up a hell of a lot of space... but once you have it working it's great.

The paid for alternative if you run actual RedHat is... Red Hat | Red Hat Satellite

But Spacewalk is exactly the same product, open sourced.

Thank Post
    Hi cpjitservices,

I have successfully installed spacewalk server.I created admin login from GUI and able to login to spacewalk server.
    Now after googling a lot I did not find any proper document or anything touse spacewalk and how to do patch management.
    I followed the steps given by them but did not help me.I have registered a client with the server and am seeing that client in the system list.But after this dont know what to do.

I will be really very thankful to you if you could help me how to use spacewalk.
    I have been doing spacewal from last one month but I am not able to use it.I did not even find any document on Internet how to use it.

I hope you will help me ....

Thanks in advace
    Last edited by akhilesh_03; 12th May 2014 at 06:24 AM.

Thank Post
    Everything you need to know is on this page dude.

Spacewalk: Free & Open Source Linux Systems Management

Thank Post
    I looked at this in the early days, would be interesting to see how it has developed

Thank Post
    Definitely looks interesting. With that said, I currently run everything off Ubuntu Server 14.04 but I suppose if nothing else it gives me an excuse to play around with CentOS.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread