+ Post New Thread
*nix Thread, Mimio and Ubuntu 13.10 in Technical; Hello friends. I am trying to get the latest Mimio (11.11) working on my Ubuntu 13.10 system. I downloaded the ...

Thank Post

Mimio and Ubuntu 13.10

Hello friends. I am trying to get the latest Mimio (11.11) working on my Ubuntu 13.10 system. I downloaded the .deb and installed it through software center. I noticed it says i386 at the end and I am on a 64 bit install. I did not see any notations or FYI's about using 32 or 64 bit on their download page so I figured it was okay. It installed without error.

Thing is, I can't seem to open it. If I locate Mimio Notebook and launch it, nothing happens. No errors mind you, but simply nothing visibly takes place. If I go into System Monitor, I see a Mimio instance there as if it's running in the background. Yet... I got nothing.

Is there a trick to getting Mimio to work without fuss?

EDIT:

Here's the output...

jason@JS-E430:~/Software$ sudo dpkg -i mimio-studio_11.11-0en_i386.deb
    Selecting previously unselected package mimio-studio.
    (Reading database ... 261236 files and directories currently installed.)
    Unpacking mimio-studio (from mimio-studio_11.11-0en_i386.deb) ...
    Setting up mimio-studio (11.11-0en) ...
    Could not parse file "/usr/share/applications/mimio-collaborate.desktop": Key file contains line '?[Desktop Entry]' which is not a key-value pair, group, or comment
    update-initramfs: deferring update (trigger activated)
    MDKLoadLibrary('/var/opt/mimio/system/aps_componentmanager1.so') failed: libudev.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
    MDKLoadLibrary('/var/opt/mimio/system/dev_hid1.so') failed: libudev.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
    MDKLoadLibrary('/var/opt/mimio/system/aps_componentmanager1.so') failed: libudev.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
    MDKLoadLibrary('/var/opt/mimio/system/aps_projector1.so') failed: libudev.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
    MDKLoadLibrary('/var/opt/mimio/system/aps_view1.so') failed: libudev.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
    MDKLoadLibrary('/var/opt/mimio/system/dev_hid1.so') failed: libudev.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
    MDKLoadLibrary('/var/opt/mimio/system/aps_projector1.so') failed: libudev.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
    MDKLoadLibrary('/var/opt/mimio/system/aps_view1.so') failed: libudev.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
    Processing triggers for shared-mime-info ...
    Unknown media type in type 'all/all'
    Unknown media type in type 'all/allfiles'
    Unknown media type in type 'uri/mms'
    Unknown media type in type 'uri/mmst'
    Unknown media type in type 'uri/mmsu'
    Unknown media type in type 'uri/pnm'
    Unknown media type in type 'uri/rtspt'
    Unknown media type in type 'uri/rtspu'
    Processing triggers for desktop-file-utils ...
    Processing triggers for gnome-menus ...
    Processing triggers for bamfdaemon ...
    Rebuilding /usr/share/applications/bamf-2.index...
    Processing triggers for mime-support ...
    Processing triggers for initramfs-tools ...
    update-initramfs: Generating /boot/initrd.img-3.11.0-17-generic
    jason@JS-E430:~/Software$
    Last edited by JaSauders; 28th February 2014 at 02:15 AM.

Thank Post
    Nevermind. For some reason the hidden mimio directlry (/home/me/.mimio) was owned by root:root. I changed it to me:me and it works fine. Kind of frustrated I didn't find it sooner, but most importantly, I'm kind of frustrated I didn't see it documented... anywhere... not to mention this isn't really a common problem (at least in my experience) where things written to the home directory are owned by root. I only came across it when I was in bed on my tablet trying to stay awake long enough to Google around more when a user on some random blog post commented about it from an older version of Mimio. On a hunch, I drug my sorry rear end out of bed, ls -l, oh hey... chown'd it up and bingo bango.

Thank Post
    So... this isn't entirely solved it seems. I tried to install other software unrelated to Mimio but I hit a brick wall when I had to dpkg --configure -a. Thing is, each time I do that, it hangs indefinitely. With the assistance of another veteran Ubuntu user, we came to the conclusion that the mimio-studio.postinst script was problematic. It was located in /var/lib/dpkg/info I believe. I removed it and ran through the process, which ultimately purged Mimio altogether. This was fine, as Mimio, so far, has been nothing but problems on Linux. For kicks I tried to install the .deb again through Software Center (last time I just did a dpkg -i in terminal), but it would just hang. For more kicks, I spun up a brand new 12.04 LTS VM, but that too was problematic. The veteran user I mentioned above took a look at some of my logs and said immediately that this package was terribly designed, and said bluntly that the developers should be fired. This, of course, is a bit of a concern given our huge Ubuntu deployment we have at work. Granted, currently our Ubuntu deployment is across the vast majority of our student systems and the teachers are not using Ubuntu at the moment (which is where the Mimio software is utilized) but what irks me is Mimio's claim that they support it when it is clearly problematic. That, coupled along with the unknown future (maybe teachers will be on Ubuntu for our next deployment? Who knows), it leaves me a bit concerned.

I opened a support request with them but haven't heard back yet. So with that said, I'm curious as to what sort of experiences, issues, troubleshooting, workarounds, and maybe even success stories you guys have had with Mimio on Linux. Anybody?

Thank Post
    It appears as if my issue was related to ia32-libs, which allows 32 bit packages to work with 64 bit systems. I understand that ia32-libs was removed from Ubuntu 13.10. Some blog comments around have suggested this is due to 13.10 coming with better multiarch support. Thing is, the packages have to be built with this in mind. Since Mimio 11.11 was seemingly packaged for ia32-libs, I ran into this brick wall. Again, just pieces of comments stitched together in this synopsis, but it kind of makes sense.

For kicks I spun up Ubuntu 13.10 32 bit in a virtual machine. Mimio 11.1 worked fine. This solidified that it was definitely a 32 bit vs 64 bit issue (32 bit package, 64 bit OS). Mimio says they support 64 bit Linux distributions, so this shouldn't be an issue. Ultimately I found a suggestion to install the following:

sudo apt-get install libc6:i386 libgcc1:i386 gcc-4.6-base:i386 libstdc++5:i386 libstdc++6:i386

Which is, as I understand it, the missing packages that are needed to make 32 bit packages work under a 64 bit OS without the regular ia32-libs package that we've seen in prior releases. Mimio eventually will error out with missing dependencies, but a sudo apt-get install -f should fix that. Once done, Mimio will be installed, but it won't launch until you change the ownership of /home/youruser/.mimio to youruser:youruser, since by default it's root:root.

So in short...

1) sudo apt-get install libc6:i386 libgcc1:i386 gcc-4.6-base:i386 libstdc++5:i386 libstdc++6:i386
    2) sudo apt-get install -f
    3) sudo chown -R youruser:youruser /home/youruser/.mimio

Attn: Mimio Developers. Please, PLEASE, I cannot stress this enough, please fix these issues. I mean, at the very least, document these things. I've seen absolutely zero documentation on this issue and only came across these steps through reading and troubleshooting. This isn't acceptable. Fixing these issues would really help out a lot of your userbase and save a massive amount of frustration.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread