+ Post New Thread
*nix Thread, Cannot log in as root in Technical; Ok I've been working on a squid + dansguardian + ntlm auth filtering Proxy as a sidep project this week ...

Thank Post

Cannot log in as root

Ok I've been working on a squid + dansguardian + ntlm auth filtering Proxy as a sidep project this week so far gotten about 3 hours total at it but going well. all was goin great I have squid in and authing against AD with winbind functioning beautifuly. Dansguard wasn't using the usernames tho but I cfould out thats cos ubuntu only has 2.8 in the repository not 2.9 so I need to do a source install. I restarted the machine after adding all the packages neccessary to compile and... I can't log in even tho I'm 100% sure the password is right.

I logged in as another user that had sudo rights and did sudo passwd root and changed it and... still can't log in.

Can anyone think of anything I might have done during the config of samba /kerberos that might rpevent a root login cos thats the only thing I can think of I've changed recently that is authentication related but I'm not experienced enough with Linux to know what I'm looking for.

Thank Post

Re: Cannot log in as root

ok this is an oops on my part defiently when I changed config for kerberos or samba or ntlm which I did recently one of the guides I followed must have beena little more than I actually wanted, because after creating an account in AD on a hunch named "root" I can now log in as root on the linux server using the password I gave it in AD but not the password I knwo is set on UNIX.

I guess this isn't a disaster but I wasn't expecting all authentication to go through AD just the proxy.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

You broke PAM basically. :P

Thank Post

Bright side this is a VM trial run before I do this on actual hardware. So thats the first thing for the "mistakes not to make on the proper version" list

I'm sure there will be plenty more. I'm currently trying to work out the right config for compiling 2.9.9.1 for ubuntu. Its all good fun of course. Sure beats desktop support.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread