+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
*nix Thread, RM miniBook / Asus eeePC ideas? in Technical; I have to admit that I have pangs of jealousy as I will not get to play with one of ...
    richard

Re: RM miniBook / Asus eeePC ideas?

I have to admit that I have pangs of jealousy as I will not get to play with one of these

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by "torledo
    Plus how about some sort of remote desktop client. I suppose VNC is an option but there's also access via the thin client protocols ICA and RDP.
    Hi, Torledo.

There's already 2 RDP clients installed. From a terminal :

rdesktop servername -g 800x450

or

krdc

I'll need to check the -g switch options on the rdesktop command though as I don't have one with me at the moment, but that switch sets the screen size. When I've tried krdc it could show the server window, but mouse and keyboard didn't work. I didn't persue it thought because rdesktop worked without problems.

Regards

Rich

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts

Add this to the /opt/xandros/share/AsusLauncher/simpleui.rc

Code:
    <parcel simplecat="Internet" shortcut="/usr/bin/rdesktop" extraargs="/usr/bin/rdesktop server1 -g 800x450"
            icon="iptv_norm.png"
            selected_icon="iptv_hi.png">
            <name lang="en">Remote Desktop to Server1</name>
    </parcel>

Thank Post

I unexpectedly bumped in to & got my hands on one of these for a bit today and they're clearly very seductive for both tech-gadget-freaks and random normal folk. But I've got some doubts to settle...

For instance I can think of schools with pile of those cute mini tablet thingies that didn't quite work out in bits and pieces on shelves and can't help wondering if the same thing might happen with these. Chances are they'll get thrown about and dropped a lot more than regular laptops (where the size/weight demands a bit more respect). What does anyone think about how robust they are?

How useful will they really be for a lot of schools considering they're clearly not going to be running all that Windows curriculum software on them?

And how well is that future XP version going to work? If they push up the spec to make XP really comfortable, what's going to happen to the price? And 450 lines might be much nicer than a PDA but will be a bit of a show stopper for a lot of apps whether you're running them locally, locally in a broswer or via RDP.

And the maintenance. Factory reset might be relatively quick and easy but how easy is it to automate a custom config? Wireless, browser settings, whatever you end up doing to lock-down bits that need it, hook a user up with their home directory on some server etc.?

Can't shake the "it's a nice toy" feeling. All comments to the contrary are welcome.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,441 Times in 1,889 Posts
    Blog Entries

I think it comes down to 1 thing - they aren't a laptop. They are supposed to be used in a certain way - as a mobile access device for pupils to use VLE's and the like. That is all. Customisation and the like may sound fun, and possibly useful, but that is simply not what they are designed for.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,161 Times in 986 Posts
    Blog Entries

I have had one for over 2 weeks now and to be honest, I think that these are going to be very, very important devices indeed. Not just the EeePC, but all of the other manufacturers follow on devices too (of which there will be many). For a start it puts Linux in schools in a major way, and to quote PC Pro 'It does 95% of what 95% of laptop users want to do 95% of the time'.
    What I would like to see is a group of year 10s given them and see what they are doing with them by the end of their year 11.
    What to me sets them out is the fact that they are the first affordable laptop for the masses.
    Remember localzuk mobile phones were not landlines and look what happened. Yes, they are not a full laptop, but not everybody wants a full laptop, and for the first time they don't have to have one.

Thank Post

These devices are great. I have no linux experiance at all but found this a doddle to use and to setup on both my home and school Wireless networks. It boots so fast It really is an any where any time device. Battery life is short but still good enough to go half a day and I'm sure that will only get better. The instruction come with how to install XP but why would you bother.. These devices are a good indication of what is on the horizion..
    Also you can get them a little cheaper from Misco at £186.37 for the 4GB Black one but it is only worth it if you get free delivery thrown in.

Also the media player links up well with the BBC and it meant I could watch their online content full screen...

Thank Post

Sorry to uhh.. play hardball.. there's lots of lurve but I've yet to see anyone produce anything like a rational "business case". Ultimately it's tax payers money isn't it?

they aren't a laptop. They are supposed to be used in a certain way
    Which I think more or less amounts to: Like a PDA but without being so frustratingly fiddly.

it puts Linux in schools in a major way
    And? OK this is the nix forum, but surely typical users don't care too much about the OS compared to what they need to click to: a) run an application that does something useful for them, b) get a photo of their kids/cats set as the desktop wallpaper?

they are the first affordable laptop for the masses
    Well <£200 is clearly more affordable than an OKish entry level Vista laptop at £400, but I don't know how you judge that first sum to be universally affordable - certainly isn't for anyone on JSA or whatever they call that this week.

'It does 95% of what 95% of laptop users want to do 95% of the time'
    And they have figures to prove it? If I spent say 60% of my time doing word-processing, spreadsheets and presentations I really would want to do it with a bigger keyboard and monitor.

Back to the classroom, do people think they really will be effective as word processors et al for kids? And if they do have credible things to do on the net, will they be especially pleasant to use given the rather common requirement for a min resolution of 800x600 on sites?

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by PiqueABoo
    Back to the classroom, do people think they really will be effective as word processors et al for kids? And if they do have credible things to do on the net, will they be especially pleasant to use given the rather common requirement for a min resolution of 800x600 on sites?
    Actually, yes, I do think they will be good for this.

1. The Internet, I have few problems using it on my Eee. The screen is 800 wide and it is the width which is most important, it is also very clear. The only place I have seen them struggle is on games sites but this is a bonus really.

2. What better if you are going to give kids a laptop, they are solid state so will take some banging around, they will slip into a bag quite well (if you are not giving them to kids to take home, the teacher will need to count them back in). Really though these are for kids to take home with them.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by localzuk
    Customisation and the like may sound fun, and possibly useful, but that is simply not what they are designed for.
    Thats laughable, thats exactly what the eeepc is for, check the eeepc forums - why else would they have given a fully customisable OS -and root access !? they even come with xp install instructions.

I've had a play all weekend with the eepc and the only downside I can see is the keyboard and the poor security. The curriculum is moving web/vle/eportfolio, this is clear. Thin computing is being taken more seriously in schools and the eeepc could save a lot of money and still handle the legacy windows only apps. They cost less than our current thin clients. in licensing alone at edu price for fat client accounts for almost half the cost of an eeepc. Whats more they have a GUI that kids like to use. (I appreciate that doesn't account for much on this site). Almost everyone I showed wants one. me included, just to save on home electricity bills - something a new vista laptop would hardly help with. I'm not typical but almost everything I seem to do these days is on a remote server anyway so I could just about handle using one full time.

certainly isn't for anyone on JSA or whatever they call that this week.
    its been JSA for at least seven years...

Thank Post

I think that you are right that curriculum is moving VLE/Online - but there are still lots of times when students don't have wireless access - either in rooms in school that are not wireless equipped, or at home. This gives teachers a problem.

Luckily (in the absence so far of much linux based mainstream non-generic educational software) there is a lot of scope for instantly available locally installed educational software with the ASUS eeePC - because it has Flash installed in Firefox 'out of the box'. While our stuff runs on VLEs, we have already produced a locally installed version to be run from SD card. I'm sure lots of others will follow.

It certainly is a fantastic machine.

David
    SUMS main website
    SUMS on eeePC website

Thank Post

Talking about locking it down, as it's running KDE, you can just use kiosk to lock it down, we do that here with our fat Linux clients and nobody has managed to break them yet.

Jo

Thank Post
    Getting back onto how Matt from RM can help here. I have had the Eee to play with for a few days and I really like the simple interface, very similar to what Apple did in their early years with OS 7 onwards.

And that is the direction I think the Eee could take a lesson from paerticularly for Education.

Matt, I know that you have been interested in the wireless capabilities of the Asus and how to link it in with CC3. But please spare a thought for perhaps other schools who just want to use this as a standalone device. The way forward to build on the current distro is to allow easy password switching to the full desktop, and then have an app which allows easy setup, customization and lock down of the simple interface. File manager and the keyboard shortcut into the console needs to be removed from the simple desktop and there needs to be provision to easily add / remove icons from the tabs, and possibly allow to add new tabs in. To replace filemanager, there could be a 'My Documents' icon under the work tab, and here is where you could do something with linking in to networked documents if required.

I'm sure this would be easy enought to do (I'm not a linux guy but would like to be one some day ) However, this would be really useful from primaries upwards, maybe even for home users who want to stop their kids messing about. Perhaps your guys could work with Asus on that one?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12