+ Post New Thread
*nix Thread, Edubuntu in Technical; Anyone us this? I installed Ubuntu with the hope of learning some (obviously) much needed Linux skills in the networking ...

Thank Post

Edubuntu

Anyone us this?

I installed Ubuntu with the hope of learning some (obviously) much needed Linux skills in the networking area this weekend. Install was far better than Mandriva and everything works very well (better than Mandriva actually- esp. package management).

I noticed Edubuntu and have since been scouring the pages reading as much as possible on its components etc. It has (by default) LTSP for server and clients *it seems* auto configure; NFS is used for shares etc. Does anyone use Edubuntu and if so, how good is it?

The server would be a Xeon based system with 1GB RAM initially while I test it, and probably have around 10 clients connecting at any one time (it's only a test remember).

I'm looking for information on how easy it is to install and run, and also any books that could be used to bring myself up to speed quickly as far as Linux networking is concerned.

Another question (sorry): how easy is it to integrate Linux clients (really) into an AD network such that the user has to authenticate against an AD server?

Thanks!

Paul

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Re: Edubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by kingswood
    I installed Ubuntu with the hope of learning some (obviously) much needed Linux skills in the networking area this weekend. Install was far better than Mandriva and everything works very well (better than Mandriva actually- esp. package management).
    It's based on Debian, so yeah.

I'm looking for information on how easy it is to install and run, and also any books that could be used to bring myself up to speed quickly as far as Linux networking is concerned.
    If you want books, O'Reily is the best place to look. I recommend you do some digging with google first though. Chances are the information you want is already out there.

Another question (sorry): how easy is it to integrate Linux clients (really) into an AD network such that the user has to authenticate against an AD server?
    You need to use Samba, inpaticular the Winbind module. Then you need to tell PAM to use winbind for login authentication. Its not a big deal, the biggest problem is getting Samba and Kerberos to play nice with AD.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff

You need to use Samba, inpaticular the Winbind module. Then you need to tell PAM to use winbind for login authentication. Its not a big deal, the biggest problem is getting Samba and Kerberos to play nice with AD.
    Yes make sure then times on your Linux server and your AD server are the same or at least within a minute or 2! This has got me on a few occasions :?

I am using Winbind to use windows user accounts on my proxy at the moment . It didnt take me very long to learn from scratch.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

You can use ntpd to syncronise the system time.

Thank Post

Thanks Geoff (and Chris for the reminder about timing on servers!). I installed SAMBA on the laptop last night (Synaptic is great), and have some experience with that component so not that worried about it. PAM sounds fun though- and I'm looking at documentation about WINBIND now.

Sounds like it could work quite well though if I can get the authentication working. Reason I'm looking at this option as opposed to thin clients right now is lack of funds for upgrading the server (or what will be the server). It has only 1GB of RAM and would need to be server for at least 30 machines...is that cutting it fine?

Other than that I am *still* psyched about Ubuntu. I love apt-get-- been looking at some articles on using it and it seems to streamline the whole install process. Only "glitch" I had was when I chmod the RealPlayer10GOLD.bin file and then sudo installed it: the process failed because I didn't have the libc++ files installed. Searched for them in Syanptic, installed, re-ran the command...voila! RealPlayer works.

Even got CSS installed and can watch DVDs *that I already bought*.

Having fun really. For once.

Paul :-)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

From my experience I can only advise to be careful with PAM, the key is backup backup backup . I once locked myself out of our now-mail server when setting it up initially on console and ssh logins. ops: But I've learned a lot more now 8)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

It has only 1GB of RAM and would need to be server for at least 30 machines...is that cutting it fine?
    Yes, thats about 30mb per client. Things would be much happier with around 50mb. It depends on your workload though. My suggestion is to try it and see.

I once locked myself out of our now-mail server when setting it up initially on console and ssh logins.
    LiveCD's are your friend.

Thank Post

I've just set all my home machines to dual boot XPSP2 with Ubuntu...it's the only one I found that likes my Wifi cards...even the missus likes it.

Can't talk now: The mother-ship is calling!
    Thank Post
    Thanked 1,268 Times in 866 Posts
    Blog Entries

Edubuntu 11.04 Alpha 1 Released [Natty Narwhal]

Thank Post
    I am using Winbind to use windows user accounts on my proxy at the moment,too

Last edited by benlin910; 15th December 2010 at 07:44 AM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirbendy View Post
    I've just set all my home machines to dual boot XPSP2 with Ubuntu...it's the only one I found that likes my Wifi cards...even the missus likes it.
    Funnily enough, same here. I had all sorts of problems with Vista and my obscure network cards. Ubuntu was a dream!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread