+ Post New Thread
*nix Thread, How does Debian automatic USB drive mounting work? I need to make a minor adjustment. in Technical; OS is Debian Squeeze. Pretty much a default "desktop"-style installation with gnome and such. Out of the box, it successfully ...
    Thank Post

Question How does Debian automatic USB drive mounting work? I need to make a minor adjustment.

OS is Debian Squeeze. Pretty much a default "desktop"-style installation with gnome and such. Out of the box, it successfully auto-mounts drives that I plug in via USB in /media/{UUID} or /media/{Volume name} (depending on if the drive has a volume name or not, I guess). I am very happy with that system and I want to keep it.

My only complaint is the permissions. An NTFS filesystem gets mounted drwx------ (with owner and group as my regular user, not root). I want drwxr-xr-x.

I've been trying to find out how it works, or how to adjust it. udev notifies udisks and gnome-disk-utility or something like that, I'm not 100% sure and I can't find anywhere to configure a default umask/fmask/dmask for it. Looking in /var/log/ at the time a drive was connected I can find ntfs-3g's entries in daemon.log and syslog telling me what options were passed to it but I can't see what called it.

Does anyone know how it works or how I can adjust the default permissions provided by the existing automatic mounting system? I don't want to replace the system with another, I don't want to put stuff in fstab, etc...I want to learn how the existing system works.
    Last edited by ronanian; 21st May 2013 at 07:50 PM.

Thank Post
    Oof, hasn't linux got trickier to manage since it got easy to use? I would *suggest* polkit is a good starting point, but without a debian box to hand to louse around with I'm loath to make any further comment :-/

Thank Post
    I think you create a UDEV rule for the permissions you need.
    gnome - How do I set executable permissions on a removable drive? - Ask Ubuntu

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread