+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
*nix Thread, whos running nix on their main desktop? in Technical; For me i find Linux frustrating (on a desktop), i still come across driver issues and the most recent version ...

Thank Post
    For me i find Linux frustrating (on a desktop), i still come across driver issues and the most recent version of ubuntu that i used seemed to be pretty resource intensive. Tried Debian, but the UI doesn't seem to be very polished. The alternatives for software i've used seem to be always not quite good enough, so i ended back on windows as i couldn't be bothered with it.

On the server side though, debian with no UI has been brilliant.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by nathan View Post
    For me i find Linux frustrating (on a desktop), i still come across driver issues and the most recent version of ubuntu that i used seemed to be pretty resource intensive. Tried Debian, but the UI doesn't seem to be very polished. The alternatives for software i've used seem to be always not quite good enough, so i ended back on windows as i couldn't be bothered with it.
    interesting, i find the opposite nowadays. driver problems on windows, (and i have to download them before i can get on the internet etc). linux i just stick in the cd (or pxe boot actually) and install.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ConradJones View Post
    interesting, i find the opposite nowadays. driver problems on windows, (and i have to download them before i can get on the internet etc). linux i just stick in the cd (or pxe boot actually) and install.
    either scenario will be hardware dependant to be honest. Linux or Windows both include a set amount of drivers, it's hit or miss if they include your NIC driver. Not so uncommon on ethernet devices now a days, but wireless. Lets just say it's given me a few grey hairs!

Thank Post
    Yeah - in this day and age, working on Windows feels like a chore, whereas working on Linux feels like I'm getting crap done so I can close another project, get home, and do my thing with the family. That's not to glorify Linux into some sort of non-problematic beast and to make Windows sound like it's entirely filled with problems, I mean Linux has had its issues too, but based on personal experience of having to manage a few thousand machines on each platform, Windows absolutely takes the cake for requiring more of my time and continually pushes my level of patience. I cannot stress that enough.

For the last week I've been using elementary OS, which is an Ubuntu 12.04 (LTS) based distro. So far I really dig it. The degree of minimalism (yet enough features to let me do my job) is huge to me. Regardless of the distro, I love being able to fire up a LiveUSB instance and installing it, 99% of the time without having to worry about drivers (just the occasional wireless driver for those awful Broadcom chips). No licenses to worry about. No bloatware to unload. Just paste my long saved apt-get install command and presto, 10 minutes later I have 30 additional applications installed.

At the end of the day, the best operating system is the one that does the job best for your needs. Use what works best for you --- I do.

Thank Post
    I've been running Linux on my desktop since 2000 and in all that time I have had a total of one driver issue, that being a Thompson Speedtouch USB broadband modem. I've lost count of the number of driver issues I've had to solve with all of the versions of Windows I've worked with; I wish I had a pound for every one - I would be very rich by now!

Thank Post
    Got about 7 Linux boxes running at home including our two main laptops

Rob

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by twin--turbo View Post
    Got about 7 Linux boxes running at home including our two main laptops

Rob
    What Linux distro's??

Thank Post
    Ubuntu 12.4 on the two laptops
    Ubuntu 13.10 on the MythTV
    Fedora on the VortexBox Music Server
    Sles 10 on the file server
    Debian on the RaspBMC
    Ubuntu something on a test box..

the test box, file server and Vortex are all on vMware ESXi

I also have a ESXi host in a rack in a business center with 1Gb internet and running a Ubuntu install of ISPconfig... Costs me nothing at present

Rob

Thank Post
    Oh and OSX on the Crapple good for cbeebies .

Rob

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jinnantonnixx View Post
    I settled on Ubuntu 12.04 after evaluating Debian 7, Ubuntu, Opensuse and Scientific Linux.

I use Thunderbird mail client with Davmail as an interface to the Exchange servers. I use the 'Lightning' Thunderbird calendar add-on for my Exchange calendars. (DavMail POP/IMAP/SMTP/Caldav/Carddav/LDAP Exchange Gateway - Thunderbird calendar setup)

I use Unity on my home latop, and it's pretty well perfect for that. However, Unity was good, but there were a few glitches with the workspace manager which i didn't like. I installed Gnome3 and Docky. Together these make an excellent environment.

I use krb5-auth-dialog to get Kerberos tickets so I can browse without authentication pop-ups.

Virtualbox for the many Windows test systems I use.

Remmina for RDP/remote sessions.

It's nice to use a native console to SSH into our Linux servers.
    I've moved from Gnome3 back to stock Unity. There were a few annoyances with dual screens in Gnome3. I subscribed to oibaf's PPA for video drivers and everything is rosy. Unity has had some stick, but I find it superb for home and work use. It just works with no fuss.

Thank Post
    I've been using GNU/Linux on all my main desktops (work, home) since 2000. Half of the school desktops use it as well.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,693 Times in 1,266 Posts
    Blog Entries
    got a VM for redhat here, using it to test things out, and did have fedora running for a while at home.

Thank Post
    Recently bought a new laptop with Windows 8 installed but couldn't get on with it so took the plunge and flattened it and am going to use Ubuntu only. Did have it dual booted on my old laptop but only used Windows for flashing mods etc on my phone. Now i have learnt to use ADB so i do it all via command line.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    OK Here goes....

My Desktop - Archlinux
    My Laptop - Archlinux
    My Home Server - Archlinux
    My Work Laptop - Windows 7 Pro with Archlinux in Virtualbox and GNUwin32 installed.
    My Mum's Laptop - Linux Mint
    My Sister's Laptop - Linux Mint
    My Sister's Old Laptop - Ubuntu

I've been using Archlinux as my main distro for several years. Before that I've used Fedora, Debian, CentOS, Ubuntu and several others.

The only Machine in the house I have yet to convert is my Dad's laptop.

At work I mainly work with RedHat, CentOS and Scientific Linux although there is a good deal of Windows as well.
    Last edited by llawwehttam; 18th February 2014 at 04:08 PM.

Thank Post
    Since I replied last to this thread, we have introduced nearly 2,000 more Ubuntu laptops to our network, bringing the total number to about 4,000, which very easily constitutes the vast majority of our infrastructure.

I've also stopped tinkering with elementary OS as some of its 'design limitations' felt a bit hindersome to me. My wife and mother still use elementary OS and love it, but I've decided to give Ubuntu another clean and clear shot with 13.10, and so far I've found myself thoroughly enjoying it. Once I got in the groove with how Unity works, it really showed me how nice of an interface it is and how efficient you can get things done. Granted, this is just my perspective though, everybody's mileage varies.

For me, Linux has always been the key component that ties everything I do together. The particular distro and desktop environment is often up for question, but so far, Ubuntu and Ubuntu based derivatives have always been a top choice. I'm pretty okay with that.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast