+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
*nix Thread, whos running nix on their main desktop? in Technical; That's interesting, I suppose with Icewm you have the best of both worlds. I hadn't thought of using a WM ...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    That's interesting, I suppose with Icewm you have the best of both worlds.

I hadn't thought of using a WM instead of a DE then adding what I needed (e.g. Docky, if that floats your boat).

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quick update for those that are interested:

Scientific Linux 6.4 has been quite a success so far.

I use Davmail [ DavMail POP/IMAP/SMTP/Caldav/Carddav/LDAP Exchange Gateway ] to interface Linux's Thunderbird mail & calendar to our Exchange servers and that seems to work very well (piece of cake to configure). Davmail is started with a simple .sh script which you can set as a Gnome startup app. It provides an IMAP interface to the Exchange protocols, you just point Thunderbid's mail and calendar at 'localhost' with the appropriate ports and you're in business.

For Windows stuff , I host a W7 machine using Oracle's Virtualbox (Centos/RHEL 6 rpm download) which works fine. I don't like keeping files within the virtual machine, so I use Virtualbox's mapping function to share a native Linux folder as a mapped Windows drive. Project files, code, scripts, etc are kept here, outside of the virtual machine, yet still accessible as a drive from the Windows VM. This works like a charm.
    Last edited by jinnantonnixx; 31st May 2013 at 08:59 PM.

Thank Post
    I run Fedora 18 64 bit (kde) on mine..so much better and more productive for me!

For any windoze tasks, I run Win7 in virtualbox full screen on the second monitor.

Thank Post
    Decided to dual boot Ubuntu and Windows 8 the other week and for purposes other than gaming, I am finding that I am using Ubuntu the majority of the time. Not sure if this boredom with Windows and using something new is exciting and different, time will tell.

Thank Post
    Dual booting Debian 7 and windows 8 now, I like gnome

Thank Post
    Using Mint 15 here, upgraded from 14 this week.

Thank Post
    Digging up an old thread here..

I love the idea of using something like Ubuntu as my main OS. I think Windows is too unrestrictive and not robust, OS X is solid as a rock but you are kind of forced into using Apples services, and Linux kind of fits snuggly between the two?

Truth be told, I have only dabbled with linux (Ubuntu) and was very impressed. The only problem I am going to have is working out the alternative methods for what I have been used to for a very long time - things like alternatives for Office (mainly just for access to Exchange emails) I'm assuming Open Office?. Also RDP to windows (a quick google looks like rdesktop is the number one choice). Am I kind of along the right lines here?

Thank Post
    Would love to do this at work, but there'd be too many issues with incompatibility with the rest of our infrastructure. I could use a VM, but it's another layer of complexity.

I do however have a spare RPi on my desk that I could probably put to use...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Squip View Post
    Digging up an old thread here..

I love the idea of using something like Ubuntu as my main OS. I think Windows is too unrestrictive and not robust, OS X is solid as a rock but you are kind of forced into using Apples services, and Linux kind of fits snuggly between the two?

Truth be told, I have only dabbled with linux (Ubuntu) and was very impressed. The only problem I am going to have is working out the alternative methods for what I have been used to for a very long time - things like alternatives for Office (mainly just for access to Exchange emails) I'm assuming Open Office?. Also RDP to windows (a quick google looks like rdesktop is the number one choice). Am I kind of along the right lines here?
    OWA for email.

OpenOffice for office.

VM's for visio and visual studio.

linux for browsing, writing perl scripts, running nmap, rdp'ing servers, sshing servers etc.

Thank Post
    Just switched to Mint at home, still running Ubuntu on the office desktop.

Thank Post
    I use Libre office, Thunderbird for mail with extensions for gmail contacts and calendar and Remmina for RDP.

Thank Post
    OS X is unix based, so guessing i fall into this category. I then use a Parallels Desktop virtual machine domain joined to each site i manage.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I settled on Ubuntu 12.04 after evaluating Debian 7, Ubuntu, Opensuse and Scientific Linux.

I use Thunderbird mail client with Davmail as an interface to the Exchange servers. I use the 'Lightning' Thunderbird calendar add-on for my Exchange calendars. (DavMail POP/IMAP/SMTP/Caldav/Carddav/LDAP Exchange Gateway - Thunderbird calendar setup)

I use Unity on my home latop, and it's pretty well perfect for that. However, Unity was good, but there were a few glitches with the workspace manager which i didn't like. I installed Gnome3 and Docky. Together these make an excellent environment.

I use krb5-auth-dialog to get Kerberos tickets so I can browse without authentication pop-ups.

Virtualbox for the many Windows test systems I use.

Remmina for RDP/remote sessions.

It's nice to use a native console to SSH into our Linux servers.
    Last edited by jinnantonnixx; 17th October 2013 at 11:57 AM.

Thank Post
    I've bounced between every Linux distro known to man (or at least the top 20 most common distros you've heard of at least), along with a ton of desktop environments. I have been using Cinnamon and Gnome 3 lately depending on my mood and I enjoy them quite a lot. I do find some 'meh' factors of each one though, but I try to remind myself I'm a spoiled Linux user with endless choice. If I was on Mac or Windows, I wouldn't have any of that choice period. Lately I've been spending most of my time on elementary OS, which is Ubuntu based (big bonus for me) and easy to use yet can do all of the complex tasks I need to at work. It helps that my place of work (public school district) has been migrated from a largely Apple-centric district to a Linux-oriented district with a handful of Windows 8 systems in the mix.

I really enjoy my job, because I get to use iOS/Android/Chromebooks/OSX/Win7/Win8/Linux all in one environment. I can tell you one thing too... there are times on Linux where I admittedly get frustrated, and because prior to this job I spent literally all of my time on Linux, I couldn't help but to think "maybe I should just get a Mac, or get Windows, and be done with it". As time passes and as I use OSX, Windows, and Linux more and more, I can assure you one thing: No operating system is perfect, and today's Linux environments aren't as problematic (in comparison to other platforms) as some people (still) make them out to be. If it's a piece of software, it's going to have its quirks and problems.

Thank Post
    tbh I find windows way more frustrating than linux nowadays.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast