+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
*nix Thread, whos running nix on their main desktop? in Technical; Aye I know, just rl means now that I can only manage 1 hour a week outside of work on ...
    Thank Post
    Aye I know, just rl means now that I can only manage 1 hour a week outside of work on my home machine to have time to do these things :-)

Thank Post
    I've ran Linux on my desktop since 2005/2006, or somewhere around there. I built my first computer and was super excited about it. I was working at a miniature golf course through school and had no money once I was done buying the parts. Needless to say I was a little depressed about the fact I couldn't afford a Windows license... My cousin suggested I try Linux, as he swore by it. I have since been on Linux since then on all of my systems. My wife, mother, and aunt run Linux as well. It's been a very solid experience for all of them as they've had less issues with maintaining the systems, which makes me happy since I'm so damn busy these days that to manage family systems every few weeks is asking a lot.

At my place of work (school district), we've incorporated a truckload of Linux systems on the desktop (well, laptop). We currently have 1,600 units and will be obtaining 1,700 more by the year's end... all Ubuntu. I love what I do.
    Last edited by JaSauders; 20th May 2013 at 03:38 PM.

Thank Post
    Been running Ubuntu at home and at work for a while now. So much more stable than Windows

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,030 Times in 955 Posts
    Does OS X 10.7 count ( it is unix certified as of 10.5 I believe ) ?? lol

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by JJonas View Post
    Been running Ubuntu at home and at work for a while now. So much more stable than Windows
    mint on my laptop. not a big fan on HUD

Thank Post
    I want to implement an all Linux solution here on our desktops, but its locking it down and getting roaming profiles to work, aside from that I run Linux on everything I can run it on. Usually Fedora for desktop and CentOS for server.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Ubuntu (with Unity) for home machines. Pretty much perfect for laptops.

Going to experiment with OpenSuse at work, with a virtual Windows 7 for all the things I can't get working in Linux, whatever they turn out to be. Not sure how that will pan out, but we'll see what happens. This will be handy as we use quite a few Linux servers at work and I use Cygwyn for SCP and SSH at the moment.
    Last edited by jinnantonnixx; 21st May 2013 at 01:09 PM.

Thank Post
    I use Ubuntu at home, and installed it on various family members PC's. I've been using Debian then Ubuntu at home now for around 15years since a neighbor installed it for me, from a stack of zip disks. In the work place we have a couple of Debian servers running, but nothing mission critical. We have also handed out a few XUbuntu CD's with old PC's staff have taken home.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Well, my experiment with Opensuse was a disaster. Never mind.

I tried Debian 7 and that was very good, but Gnome 3 was a bit of a handful for a corporate dual-monitor desktop. I could have tried a different DE, but I've settled with Scientific Linux 6.4 and so far so good.

Scientific Linux is a version of RedHat Linux, similar in many ways to Centos (and binary compatible) but more usable out of the box. It's made by Cern labs, hence its name, but it's a general purpose Linux, so don't let its name put you off.

I found a slight glitch with Samba inasmuch as the gvfs plugin only works with the older Samba 3 not Samba 4.

All in all, it's a solid release and the Gnome 2 is a welcome blast from the past.
    Last edited by jinnantonnixx; 28th May 2013 at 09:36 PM.

Thank Post
    I have been using PCLinuxOS for about 8 years on all our home machines including 6 test machines, NAS and my daughters laptop, windows if ever wanted is install in 'virtualBox' and my wife's tablet is powered by 'Jellybean' android.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jinnantonnixx View Post
    Scientific Linux is a version of RedHat Linux, similar in many ways to Centos (and binary compatible) but more usable out of the box. It's made by Cern labs, hence its name, but it's a general purpose Linux, so don't let its name put you off.
    being from Cern means that its not wholly dependant upon volunteers to maintain it.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tickmike View Post
    I have been using PCLinuxOS for about 8 years on all our home machines including 6 test machines, NAS and my daughters laptop, windows if ever wanted is install in 'virtualBox' and my wife's tablet is powered by 'Jellybean' android.
    I used to run PCLOS for years. I loved their KDE 3.5 desktop and ran happily for ages. The repositories were always comprehensive and bang up to date. The move to KDE 4 threw me, I just can't get on with KDE 4 no matter what.

I'm probably one of the lone voices who think that Unity is bang on target, especially for laptops.

Thank Post
    i've just switched to Linux Mint on the desktop this morning (already running it on my laptop) as vmware workstation wouldn't run because it needed to compile some modules and needed the kernel headers which it couldn't find. vmware just loaded fine on Mint? I presume the neccessary modules are bundled with Mint? In the same way vmware tools come bundled with a lot of distro's now days.

tbh vmware workstation and chrome installed and I'm happy. oh and remmina. so i suppose all i use it for is to run windows vm's and remote control windows servers and ssh linux servers

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,398 Times in 1,859 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Depends what you mean by main desktop. At home, I spend more time using my laptop than my desktop. My laptop is entirely Linux Mint, with KDE4 as the desktop environment. My desktop is dual boot, but is mostly used for gaming so spends most of its life in Windows.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jinnantonnixx View Post
    I used to run PCLOS for years. I loved their KDE 3.5 desktop and ran happily for ages. The repositories were always comprehensive and bang up to date. The move to KDE 4 threw me, I just can't get on with KDE 4 no matter what.
    I agree with you about KDE3.5. It really was the bees knees and KDE4 is terrible. On my PC, I moved from Fedora to Mandriva in 2009, which I configured with KDE3.5, as at the time KDE4 was not ready (IMO). It was great for 2 1/2 years, solid as a rock and quick. I then decided to reinstall with 2010.2 and bite the bullet and go for KDE4. There was no real reason to upgrade and normally if something is running fine, I leave it alone. The upgrade was fine and KDE4 was OK, except for the slowness compared to KDE3.5. (OK so I'm ignoring the annoyances like the cashew, the lack of ksensors and the nonsense plasmoids, none of which I need.)

Sometimes, I plug my computer into my TV, so we can all sit down together and watch stuff from BBC iPlayer. It's much easier to do this than having us all huddled around the PC monitor. This is easy, just use the xorg.conf file that is configured for two monitors, and fire it up. I drag my web browser onto the TV screen, and stream away. Well I used to be able to do this with KDE3.5. With KDE4 this was impossible. When trying to drive two monitors, the video stream spluttered so badly that it was unwatchable. The only way to get this to work, was to disable the PC monitor and just use TV out. Since I was using the old hardware and it used to be fine with KDE3.5, I was not best pleased! So I moved to IceWM but with KDE4 apps; KDE and IceWM play nicely together, and I can again run the PC monitor and TV.

On the netbook I run Fedora 17, again with IceWM and Fedora 16 on the laptop.

I've been running Linux on the desktop since 1999 (Redhat 6 - Hedwig). Long may it continue! Redhat's best release, IMO was 7.1 - Seawolf. I have an IDE caddie in my PC and still have my WD Caviar 40GB from 2001 with Seawolf and I fire it up sometimes.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast