+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
*nix Thread, Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail Released in Technical; The problem with Linux is it encounters serious problems for gamers out of the box. Until it properly sets refresh ...
    CAM

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    The problem with Linux is it encounters serious problems for gamers out of the box. Until it properly sets refresh rates and compositing software plays nicely with 3D applications out of the box, it won't be taken seriously for gaming. And let's be honest, if games support was as good on Linux as Windows who would still be using Windows? I wouldn't!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SYNACK View Post
    so, Linux 8 then
    unity is fricking horrible

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CAM View Post
    OK I set up a dual boot and.....my god stay away from this awful buggy piece of crap.

Within minutes I ran into severe problems on a rig that has had Linux installed on it before.

- Installer crashes on trying to access the partition manager. Had to look up a command to kill the installer so it would work.
    - Compiz degrades performance to the point 3D titles are utterly unusable due to lag and severe tearing of the screen. I cannot fix this problem and spent hours trying to fix it.
    - Just trying to install Steam wanted a million login details and passwords.
    - Keyring keeps popping up bugging me on login.
    - Compiz refresh rate keeps resetting to 50 (WTF?) on login and at one point left me with no UI trying to disable it to stop this piece of garbage from interfering.
    - The system runs very slowly. CCSM had to be killed to get rid of it as it crashed to a blank window.
    - Crashes kept happening on the settings screens causing an error report box to come up and want my password multiple times and throwing up a dozen damned error message boxes.

Sorry to say it to any Linux fans here, but I've sat here all evening trying to get this working and it refuses to co-operate and is so unstable and hostile. It's worse then WIndows 8. :/

EDIT - Finally found a "solution" to my problem...at nearly 2am! The downside is I have to set to refresh in Compiz manually every time I start and it sort of fixes the poor 3D performance. But it still isn't smooth! Unfortunately even though Compiz is killing the OS for gaming, there is no 2D mode to fall back on as disabling Compiz leaves you up the creek.
    last version of ubuntu i tried used to die copying files, linux mint 14 on the other hand works perfectly??? and its based on ubuntu

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123