+ Post New Thread
*nix Thread, Debian 7 (Wheezy) release date - 4 May 2013 in Technical; Good news for Debian fans - Wheezy is set to go stable on 4 May. The new Debian testing will ...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Debian 7 (Wheezy) release date - 4 May 2013

Good news for Debian fans - Wheezy is set to go stable on 4 May. The new Debian testing will be called 'Jessie'.

Debian 7.0 ('Wheezy') Release Planned For 1st Weekend in May - Slashdot

But look!
    Of particular interest to casual users, from the list of changes in 7.0: "Debian wheezy comes with full-featured libav (formerly ffmpeg) libraries and frontends, including e.g. mplayer, mencoder, vlc and transcode. Additional codec support is provided e.g. through lame for MP3 audio encoding, xvidcore for MPEG-4 ASP video encoding, x264 for H.264/MPEG-4 AVC video encoding, vo-aacenc for AAC audio encoding and opencore-amr and vo-amrwbenc for Adaptive Multi-Rate Narrowband and Wideband encoding and decoding, respectively. For most use cases, installation of packages from third-party repositories should not be necessary anymore. The times of crippled multimedia support in Debian are finally over!"

Thank Post
    probably realised that it was being marginalised by its own offshoots like ubuntu because of it, that being said ubuntu 13 soon seems quite interesting if they can sort the speed on it especially (even though they are making pacts with the devil re amazon links)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Long story, but I ruined my laptop with an unwise upgrade, so I started looking around for a distro to try just for a change.
    Tried a couple, then tried Linux Mint Debian Edition (LMDE) which is based on Wheezy (now frozen) but with the extraordinarily good Mint interface. I must say I'm most impressed. It's nice when your Broadcom wireless works on a Debian base without faffing with binaries or compiling.
    LMDE is well worth a look.
    Last edited by jinnantonnixx; 25th April 2013 at 10:39 AM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,395 Times in 1,773 Posts

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I changed my home laptop to Debian last night.

I was a bit annoyed at an Ubuntu regression with HDMI sound support in their kernel, so I thought I'd give Debian a whirl. There are only two applications I need to be current(ish) - Darktable and MusE - so hopefully backports will take care of that.

Early days, but I'm impressed. The only work I had to do was with the wireless drivers (Broadcom BCM4313). Just connect with a wire, and follow this guide and you'll be on the air in two minutes.
    brcm80211 - Debian Wiki

Gnome 3 and Evolution work very well with my Google mail and calendar; it's nice to have cloud calendar reminders on a native desktop app.

So far so good.....
    Last edited by jinnantonnixx; 7th June 2013 at 09:47 AM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    It seems I spoke too soon.

I had to design and print some little paper flags (don't ask) over the weekend. Time for some real-world work in Debian 7.

Inkscape crashed a few times. Annoying.

I set up my printer, and the print jobs simply got stuck. I tried the classic end-user technique of sending it to print again, but they kept queueing up. I was unable to delete the jobs. I had to remove and reinstall the actual printer to get the printer to work every time a job got stuck. Not good.

Gnome 3 did my swede in, I installed Docky to help, but we simply didn't get along.

Come back Ubuntu, all is forgiven! I reinstalled Ubuntu 12.04 LTS and it was like we'd never been apart.
    Last edited by jinnantonnixx; 10th June 2013 at 09:48 AM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread