+ Post New Thread
*nix Thread, Linux Format, January Issue in Technical; I got my latest copy this morning and it's another great issue. There's some great software on the DVD (Mandriva ...

Thank Post

Linux Format, January Issue

I got my latest copy this morning and it's another great issue. There's some great software on the DVD (Mandriva 2006- which I installed in 16 minutes exactly and am typing this entry on, and also Ubuntu 5.10) plus there are some good articles. The first is a piece on the Open Document format; the second on Perl 6; and the third focuses on an installation of Squid- which I find particularly interesting given some of the discussions on here lately regarding proxy servers etc.

I don't work for LXF, so no commission (but if they want to give me some I'll take it). Just saying there are some good things in there that might interest some of you.

On the Mandriva 2006 front- this thing is FAST. I'm running it on an HP nx9020 laptop and everything works fine (more than fine actually). Now all I need to do is try out that thin client deal and see what happens.

I will not repent. I will not convert.

"Penguins are psychotic"
    (Madagascar- The Movie)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,788 Times in 1,111 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: Linux Format, January Issue

*sob* I spent most of Friday pulling down the ISO of Mandriva 2006 (throttled the download so not to seriously kill internet access for everyone else) ... and it is there on the mag?

Oh well ... I'll pick up a copy anyway ... sounds like there are a few more good bits to look at too.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Witnessed a mandriva install recently myself. It is indeed fast - and slick.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

I also woke up to my copy on the doormat this morning and enjoyed a good read of it this afternoon. I might even install Mandriva 2006 on my test box tomorrow if I get time. But the thing that puts me off Mandriva (yes, yes.. I have it running on my fileserver, that's another story ) is the view/attitude to freedom. In the way debian (for example) has strict guidlines for only free and open-source software, Mandria happily charges and encourages people to pay for it. And that's the exact reason I have nothing to do with Xandros, Linspire et al - to me, it removes what Linux is all about.

<ahem> Off my soapbox 8)

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by webman
    I also woke up to my copy on the doormat this morning and enjoyed a good read of it this afternoon. I might even install Mandriva 2006 on my test box tomorrow if I get time. But the thing that puts me off Mandriva (yes, yes.. I have it running on my fileserver, that's another story ) is the view/attitude to freedom. In the way debian (for example) has strict guidlines for only free and open-source software, Mandria happily charges and encourages people to pay for it. And that's the exact reason I have nothing to do with Xandros, Linspire et al - to me, it removes what Linux is all about.

<ahem> Off my soapbox 8)
    Debian is nice, but I do hate the warning that my kernel is 'tainted'. I know, I installed the module! Seems you can't even turn the on screen message off.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by webman
    is the view/attitude to freedom. In the way debian (for example) has strict guidlines for only free and open-source software, Mandria happily charges and encourages people to pay for it. And that's the exact reason I have nothing to do with Xandros, Linspire et al - to me, it removes what Linux is all about.

<ahem> Off my soapbox 8)
    I think going to disagree there yes there are some linux/opensource people who treat it like a religion but really linux and opnsource is about providing usable software that you can make it do what you wish it to do so if it dosnt do a certain thing you code it to do it.

So with everybody doing that and putting back into community the software become invoatitve.. If look most of major Linux vendors do put stuff back into community so should that stop them making a profit.

I think in some ways best view of Linux is described in the book just for fun http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/...886740-2525243

Russ

Thank Post

I agree Russ- just because it says on the box "Open Source", doesn't mean it can't be part of an overall business that makes money. The thing about Eric Raymond's "Cathedral and Bazaar" book that buzzed for me was the idea that software companies should make very little profit from software, instead switching to charging for support. With Mandriva (and others) you are indeed paying for a distributed version of Linux- boxed, with disks (and perhaps a DVD), with support for three months and some good printed manuals. You're also paying for the distribution (or towards it in any case), and then the rest of the profit Mandriva will get (for example) is through their support system - Mandrake/Mandriva Gold etc etc.

Nothing wrong with that at all, and nothing wrong with making money. The "Open" part has to do with the way you use code for your prjects- do you fold the changes and enhancements back in to the community so that everyone else can also use the code if they want etc. It's a self supportive and innovative system. But it doesn't mean economics don't factor in the whole...

Paul

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Debian is nice, but I do hate the warning that my kernel is 'tainted'. I know, I installed the module! Seems you can't even turn the on screen message off
    That message is there to remind you that you'll get no support what so ever from the LKML if you encounter a problem with your copy of the kernel.

More info in the LKML FAQ: http://www.tux.org/lkml/#s1-18

I think going to disagree there yes there are some linux/opensource people who treat it like a religion
    There's a depressing amount of Windows/Mac/etc zealots around too. Its not a problem isolated to Linux!

If look most of major Linux vendors do put stuff back into community so should that stop them making a profit.
    For example, Redhat just recently released 'Fedora Directory Server'. Previously this existed as Netscapes Directory Service which was comerical software. After buying the rights to the software Redhat have cleaned it up and released it under the GPL.

http://directory.fedora.redhat.com/wiki/Main_Page

I don't know about anyone else but to me Redhat have my respect.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,788 Times in 1,111 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff
    There's a depressing amount of Windows/Mac/etc zealots around too. Its not a problem isolated to Linux!
    I resemble that remark!

Actually ... I can be a zealot about them all (apart from RISCOS) ... *sigh* ... I can't handle split personalities very well ;-)

I'll be honest and say that with *nix I tend to give my respect to FreeBSD, SuSE and Red Hat ... in the order.

I still look at other distros of Linux and compare them to SuSE and Red Hat ... they are the standard for me.

Thank Post

Yeah- Red Hat work very hard at making Linux acceptable to business (it seems to me), and balance the best of free software with a good business model that seems to make businesses feel good about working with them. I mean, their support model and training courses are industry recognised- and that's no small feat for a Linux company.

I agree- though would change my order: Red Hat, SuSE, Mandriva (for Linux). But I still love Server 2003 and I will probably always be a Mac OS X advocate...sad, I know.

Whats wrong with QNX anybody?

lol

Paul :-)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

There are important differences between advocacy and zealotry.

Thank Post

[quote="kingswood"]On the Mandriva 2006 front- this thing is FAST. I'm running it on an HP nx9020 laptop and everything works fine (more than fine actually). quote]

Has it recognised acpi for your laptop. I use a Thinkpad and I'm still struggling to get it to suspend and to eb able to throttle the cpu.

How's it been with yours so far?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread