+ Post New Thread
*nix Thread, VNC server desktop menu + copy/paste in Technical; I have installed vnc4server from the Ubuntu 12.04 repos and its working great except for two things: * We are ...

Thank Post

VNC server desktop menu + copy/paste

I have installed vnc4server from the Ubuntu 12.04 repos and its working great except for two things:

* We are using VNC to share one (KDE) desktop between multiple users and we really need an easy way to be able to see when there are other VNC users logged onto the session. Looking at the docs for the enterprise, non-free version of VNC server I can see it has a system tray icon/menu that should tell us this. This menu doesn't seem to be available in the open source vncserver - or is it? Maybe there is an alternative like a KDE plasmoid that does serves a similar purpose? I've not tried the 'free' RealVNC server as it requires you get a license and I also prefer to use apps from distro repos where possible but maybe that does have a desktop menu?

* We have been accessing the vncserver mainly using RealVNC viewer under Windows but copy/paste doesn't work and I'm under the impression that recent VNC versions should support this. Maybe this is another limitation of the free server, maybe we should use a different viewer or am I missing something else?

Thanks!

Thank Post
    I've now installed the 'Free' version of RealVNC server which includes vncserver-x11 which seems to be absent from the open source version. You need a license off them and its restricted to 5 desktops.

Anyone found an open alternative to vncserver-x11? We actually only need its ability to show (and approve/block if required) existing connections.
    Last edited by danboid; 8th April 2013 at 08:11 AM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread