+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
*nix Thread, Nagios Issues in Technical; Originally Posted by Jwebb Attachment 17664 Here's the switch config - I used the template present so i'm guessing now ...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jwebb View Post
    Attachment 17664

Here's the switch config - I used the template present so i'm guessing now that i've not changed something that i should have

what are the ARG params? - going to add them in now
    ARG1$ etc are just general parameters. You only have one in the configuration for the command, but your service is trying to pass many (that may work if nagios passes everything as a single argument, but it didn't work for me!). Check that check_snmp and your switch behaves as you expect by running from the command line :

i.e. (typical check on uptime (****** is the access password, replace as appropriate)

cd /usr/local/nagios/libexec
    ./check_snmp -H 192.168.100.11 -C ****** -o .1.3.6.1.2.1.1.3.0

Thank Post
    Capture.JPGThat tutorial will help me set up the email notification by the looks of it - i haven't done that yet, but I've got nagios up and running and pinging a switch which is all good but having issues with monitoring the switch using snmp :/

"cd /usr/local/nagios/libexec
    ./check_snmp -H 192.168.100.11 -C ****** -o .1.3.6.1.2.1.1.3.0"

the password is correct - but I dont have that list of number after it.. should i have that in there?
    Last edited by Jwebb; 26th March 2013 at 01:20 PM.

Thank Post
    The number is the location of the uptime ticks trap. It may be wrong for your switches in which case you need a valid trap. You can try the -o ifOperStatus.1 style command. The aim is to any valid return from a switch using check_snmp on the command line. Once you know that is working, then we can use that in nagios.

MIBBroswer (or some other means of snmp interrogation can be useful).

Thank Post
    How can I aquire the uptime ticks trap for our switches? - will it be different for all traps?

Sorry just to clarify what is the valid return that i require to move on? (the ticks trap number?)

Thanks again for your help

Thank Post
    When I run that at the command line I get something like :

SNMP OK - Timeticks: (896946403) 103 days, 19:31:04.03 |

As opposed to something beginning :

External command error:

There is a utility you can use in ubuntu to list the snmp traps on a target device. I just can't remember it's name :-(!

Thank Post
    Sorry for no reply it was my day release to college yesterday, I may get a chance to do some today but they have me doing cable management and desktop deployment xD then it's my holiday thanks for the pointers ill post again on here if problems persist which I'm sure they will.

Thanks to everyone for their help and time (:

Thank Post
    Managed to get back to doing some of this today - I've got a little further, seems i was missing some things - sudo apt-get install snmp-mibs-downloader<- by getting these and restarting Nagios i have gotten further. I'll post a image up in a moment

Thank Post
    Step further.JPG

As you can see this has fixed the Uptime issues - which were red before and the error code for the ports has changed to "External command error: Error in packet"

Any thoughts?

Thank Post
    Using
    cd /usr/local/nagios/libexec
    ./check_snmp -H 10.1.3.40 -C ****** -o ifOperStatus.1

Attachment 17688

These are the results

Thank Post
    I get not found on that attachment.

MRTG is a separate package that gathers traffic and other stats that accumulate over time. Looks like the check_mtrggraf is trying to access those statistics so you will need to install and configure mrtg if you want to use that.

The fact that uptime is working shows nagios is talking to your switches. I guess the mibs package translates the 0.1.2.1 type notation to the more human friendly iOperUpTime notations. You could configure the call to return info from the correct trap with check_snmp but you will only get accumulated figure which without any context is pretty useless.
    Last edited by pcstru; 28th March 2013 at 03:12 PM.

Thank Post
    Here it is again, can you see it?

Untitled.png

Thank Post
    That suggests to me that ifOperStatus isn't getting translated into the correct dotted number. That's a hunch though - not a certainty!

Thank Post
    ./check_snmp -H 192.168.100.11 -C ****** -o .1.3.6.1.2.1.1.3.0

where you have the string of numbers after the "-o" what is that number called?

do you think it would be better for me to set it up with that number as oppsoed to the ifOperStatus way? Is that number switch specific?

Thank Post
    ^im thinking that if you are correct in your hunch and it isn't being converted correctly it'd be simpler to cut out the middle man and use the number directly (only problem is I dont know that number)

Thank Post
    I think the number is the OID (Object ID). The entire collection of numbers represents the MIB (Management Information Base) for the particular entity (switch, WAP, server etc). ISTR I found the uptime was fairly consistent between switches (HP and CISCO), other things weren't. Using a browser (I linked to one earler) can be helpful in learning what is available on a device. One of the net-snmp commands will also walk the tree and return all possible nodes (but I can't remember what!).

Apologies for the vuageness - it's been 18 months or more since I set up our nagios. I ran into the same or very similar problems on ubuntu but I didn't take notes!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast