+ Post New Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast
*nix Thread, The Ubuntu Smartphone in Technical; Stephen Fry has bought an Edge (although it's extremely unlikely he'll actually receive one)....

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,963 Times in 2,178 Posts
    Stephen Fry has bought an Edge (although it's extremely unlikely he'll actually receive one).

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,302 Times in 1,063 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I see they have missed their target today: BBC News - Ubuntu Edge crowdfunding drive misses target
    They had 'only' raised $13m of the $32m required.

Thank Post

Ubuntu Edge is dead, long live Ubuntu phones « Ars Technica

The first Ubuntu phones are expected to go on sale in Q1 2014. Those meeting certain specs (including a Quad-core A9 or Intel Atom processor, 1GB memory and 32GB of flash storage) would be able to double as a PC when docked. The Edge would have had an unnamed multi-core CPU, 4GB of RAM and 128GB of storage.

Thank Post

Thank Post
    Ubuntu and Android dual boot developer preview

Christmas has come early in Ubuntu this time around, with a finely wrapped present: dual-booting with Android.

6. Thanks to Arthur from:

mac_shinobi (23rd December 2013)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,119 Times in 1,024 Posts
    Not to take lime light away from droid but would be awesome if

Apple used bigger screens on the iphone

Also allowed there phones to multi boot to run droid / linux ( ubuntu ), ios, windows :-)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I don't know, a high quality Ubuntu-based phone and/or tablet are about the only things that would make me forgo the iPhone and iPad.

I've been given Android tablets to trial in the past and was vastly underwhelmed. I recently won a Surface RT and while it has a few nice features (keyboard mainly) and great build quality, the constant and obtrusive updates made me feel like I was still in the 90s (really, MS, I can't read a news article until I update the App? No choice in the matter...sheesh).Then, there was the Blackberry tablet that was the worst tablet ever built. No email, really? And, for the life of me I couldn't even figure out how to use the blasted things. Did anyone actually try one before they put them up for sale?

The iPad on the other hand (Air especially) - nothing like it for great quality and user experience. And nothing will match it or beat it for me until a fantastic Ubuntu tablet arrives. I can't wait to see them, hope the hardware companies do the OS justice.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,119 Times in 1,024 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by seawolf View Post
    I don't know, a high quality Ubuntu-based phone and/or tablet are about the only things that would make me forgo the iPhone and iPad.

I've been given Android tablets to trial in the past and was vastly underwhelmed. I recently won a Surface RT and while it has a few nice features (keyboard mainly) and great build quality, the constant and obtrusive updates made me feel like I was still in the 90s (really, MS, I can't read a news article until I update the App? No choice in the matter...sheesh).Then, there was the Blackberry tablet that was the worst tablet ever built. No email, really? And, for the life of me I couldn't even figure out how to use the blasted things. Did anyone actually try one before they put them up for sale?

The iPad on the other hand (Air especially) - nothing like it for great quality and user experience. And nothing will match it or beat it for me until a fantastic Ubuntu tablet arrives. I can't wait to see them, hope the hardware companies do the OS justice.
    What about the latest revision of the asus transformer?

https://www.asus.com/uk/Tablets_Mobi..._Pad_Products/

Or the nexus 5?

http://www.google.co.uk/nexus/5/
    Last edited by mac_shinobi; 24th December 2013 at 07:30 AM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mac_shinobi View Post
    What about the latest revision of the asus transformer?

https://www.asus.com/uk/Tablets_Mobi..._Pad_Products/
    I'm not a big fan of these sort of compromise devices. If I were to get something like this I would go for a Surface 2 Pro.

I don't really like the current versions of Android on a phone. I think they are a bit too complicated and unintuitive on a device that you just want to work quickly and to be dead simple for making calls and messaging (that's the main function of a phone after all). There are obviously a lot of people who feel differently based on sales figures for Android phones, but each to their own.

I think Android works better on a tablet and if I couldn't have an iPad I would probably get a Nexus 7 to take the place of my iPad Mini. The Nexus 7 is a solid device, but since a Mini does exist I would choose it every time over the Nexus.

11. Thanks to seawolf from:

mac_shinobi (24th December 2013)

Thank Post
    I thought the potential of the convergence model of the ubuntu phone was overwhelming and was gutted when it didnt hit the funding, I read an article the other day about Ubuntu though which was quite interesting - Ubuntu's Addiction to Dual-Booting | Benjamin Kerensa dot Com

I dont think dual booting is the answer either and that article sums up my linux usage, where I am forced to boot windows for a few things like iTunes to name one. They do need to consider now the partnerships with larger companies if they want more mainstream usage (I know that's not really in line with the FOSS ethos though) so it isnt for everyone. Same thing with ubuntu though as Linux in general, no OS distro walking you through the changes or how the OS operates on installation, its just wham deep end for a lot of people, which is quite overwhelming for the non-technical I think and needs addressing by canonical if they want to grow even more generalist
    Last edited by rich_tech; 24th December 2013 at 11:10 PM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    @rich_tech

I don't think Canonical intends for every Ubuntu phone to dual-boot to Android. The OS is still under development and the dual-boot option allows developers or beta testers to install the OS on an Android phone without wiping Android (and likely upsetting some people). Ubuntu phone will not have the app ecosystem initially of iOS or Android, but I'd say Canonical are going to be working to get some of the big apps developed for the platform.

As for Ubuntu desktop, you don't need to dual-boot to access Windows apps. This can be done using Virtual box or WINE. I doubt iTunes will ever be ported to Linux, and in fact the future of iTunes is likely to be a client-less or browser-based app/cloud service. Also, I don't think Canonical wants to have the market penetration of Windows. They likely wouldn't mind having the Macs market share, but if you go much over 20% market share you have to start catering for and pandering to every feature request under the sun from users. That's why I hate some of the recent changes to iOS - they are purely consumer driven while some of the long-sought after features by us tech heads are ignored.

I do hope that Ubuntu improves support for the more popular apps and continues or improve the platform but I also hope that it never becomes a dumbed down OS designed to cater to billions (unless that can be easily turned off).

Thank Post
    Ubuntu Touch Nexus 5 Support On Hold, Other Nexus Devices Dropped « OMG! Ubuntu!

Along with no dice for the Nexus 5, moving Ubuntu Touch to an Android 4.4 enablement stack has resulted in further decisions on which devices should remain “officially supported”.

From the end of January official builds for three of the four currently supported Nexus devices will be discontinued, affecting users of:

• Nexus 10 (2012)
    • Nexus 7 (2012)
    • Galaxy Nexus

Dropping support for the Samsung Galaxy Nexus will, Ubuntu’s engineering team say, ‘ensure focus on the [Nexus 4] and emulator polish’ is completed in time for the release of Ubuntu 14.04.

Similarly, Tablet work is to refocus on a single device: the Nexus 7 (2013).

Thank Post
    I could see that coming funny enough, dual booting devices is just not that attractive an option for non-technical people I think.

I like Ubuntu and Linux in general, I am a user of it on my home desktop, it provides everything I want out of an OS and is much more robust against AV/Malware attacks and all the horrible nasty stuff that windows attracts and lets slip in if you dont patch your system up constantly, but dual booting is a pain and needs to be the thing that is gone from Linux, but it wont happen without companies en masse getting onboard and looking at making a client for Linux for their programs or being approached with that view by people like Canonical, Valve was truly a massive thing for Linux I felt, even though I know some argue that it flies in the wrong direction against the FOSS platform and what it stands for, but people are free to use or not use what they want.

At least now more things like office suites and google programs are all web based to be truly inter-platform experiences, perhaps that's where the eliminating the need for dual booting lies by everything being web based !

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,749 Times in 2,322 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by rich_tech View Post
    I could see that coming funny enough, dual booting devices is just not that attractive an option for non-technical people I think.

I like Ubuntu and Linux in general, I am a user of it on my home desktop, it provides everything I want out of an OS and is much more robust against AV/Malware attacks and all the horrible nasty stuff that windows attracts and lets slip in if you dont patch your system up constantly, but dual booting is a pain and needs to be the thing that is gone from Linux, but it wont happen without companies en masse getting onboard and looking at making a client for Linux for their programs or being approached with that view by people like Canonical, Valve was truly a massive thing for Linux I felt, even though I know some argue that it flies in the wrong direction against the FOSS platform and what it stands for, but people are free to use or not use what they want.

At least now more things like office suites and google programs are all web based to be truly inter-platform experiences, perhaps that's where the eliminating the need for dual booting lies by everything being web based !
    Ha, web based does not mean multi platform, almost all the dodgy web 'designers' that claim they can code end up relying on browser specific extensions anyway. I have lost count of how many 'multi platform' sites that require browser x version y to work properly. You are just trading one form of compatibility for another. If your platform is not supported by the browser or you aren't happy with having three browsers you need to update every week or so it is actually less compatible than a nice stable OS that at least admits what it is trying to be.

I do find it funny that even the Google loving oss crowd have admitted the 2011 nexus 7 was junk now, I cut my losses with my ones too.
    Last edited by SYNACK; 15th January 2014 at 04:24 PM.

Thank Post
    thats a fair point, I myself am guilty of flitting between multiple browsers here, I find that sometimes Chrome will have difficulties handling websites so I switch to Mozilla for a while before returning, just I think web based stuff by the big companies seems to work well regardless of browser - Google Docs works on all, even Apples iWork Beta is decent, though MS is a bit flaky imo with non-IE browsers I find.

I would like Linux to go a little more "mainstream" for the average end user, which is quite a bit of hesitant thing to say I admit, I would rather stuff works without having to mess about with configs or tools like WINE, though I get that is a big part of the whole Linux ethos as it stands at the moment, though I do hope it will evolve with the times and become even more widely used.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast