+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
*nix Thread, The Ubuntu Smartphone in Technical; ^^^ That reminds me, I meant to post this: The story of Nokia MeeGo...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    ^^^ That reminds me, I meant to post this:
    The story of Nokia MeeGo

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,963 Times in 2,178 Posts
    Six days to go!

Ubuntu Phone developer preview will arrive on February 21st « Ars Technica

Whether you're a Ubuntu fan or you're just not happy with any of the current mobile operating systems, this is good news for you: Canonical has announced that it will be releasing the first public preview for its Ubuntu Phone operating system on February 21. The software, intended both for developers and adventurous end-users, will be made available as images for the Samsung Galaxy Nexus handset as well as LG's Nexus 4. Source code will also be released for those who would like to port the operating system to other phones.

This fulfils the company's promise to release the preview in late February, and is the first step toward getting actual phones in stores—something that Canonical founder Mark Shuttleworth wants to do by October of this year. While Canonical's press release is careful to point out that this software is intended primarily for development use on "spare handsets" (as opposed to your primary smartphone), it should give us a good idea of how the software will stack up to current offerings.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,051 Times in 1,491 Posts
    Blog Entries
    How nice, they're releasing it on my birthday!

Thank Post
    Happy birthday @nephilim!

Only a few hours to go until tablet time.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    2 days to go :P

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Home | Ubuntu

And there you have it!

And, YES, I have given them my email address, so they can let me know when it's released!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Since it is pure Ubuntu, the tablet can be managed via Landscape, giving enterprises complete control over the users, apps, updated and access using the same tool they
    use for Ubuntu servers and desktops today.
    Working with Landscape | Ubuntu

Interesting.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,033 Times in 813 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jinnantonnixx View Post
    or puppet for freetards: https://puppetlabs.com/

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Duke5A View Post
    Ubuntu lost me as a user on the desktop with 11.04. For anything Linux I'm back with Debian on the server side and Mint on the desktop. All I can see coming from this is another OS sending my usage data to online retailers and ad agencies. I'll pass....
    Exactly how I feel, all minty thanks to unity & the amazon deal.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mats View Post
    Exactly how I feel, all minty thanks to unity & the amazon deal.
    Unity certainly seems to have polarised users. I use Unity as my desktop of choice on 12.04 LTS. I've tried alternatives, from the simple Open/Flux boxes, E17, through to KDE 4, trying out various distos from Puppy, Crunchbang to the truly excellent Sabayon. Unity hits the sweet spot for me, it's simple, unobtrusive and it doesn't get in the way. I'm not a purist at all, Ubuntu with Unity just works for me.

The Amazon tie-in, though, now that's a different matter. I'm uneasy about this. I understand that Mark Shuttleworth has put a huge amount of his personal fortune into Ubuntu, and Canonical is the business arm that offers commercial support much the same as Redhat. I have looked, but I've can't find out if it makes any money. If it doesn't, I can't see a working business model.
    Last edited by jinnantonnixx; 21st February 2013 at 01:22 PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jinnantonnixx View Post
    Since it is pure Ubuntu, the tablet can be managed via Landscape, giving enterprises complete control over the users, apps, updated and access using the same tool they use for Ubuntu servers and desktops today.
    Scrolling through 1,000+ user accounts on the welcome screen would take ages!

Last edited by Arthur; 24th February 2013 at 11:40 PM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Yeh not impressed with the final polished version with the phone ROM. Will keep it on an SD card for now, but will see how things go.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,641 Times in 2,045 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nephilim View Post
    Yeh not impressed with the final polished version with the phone ROM. Will keep it on an SD card for now, but will see how things go.
    Such a thing doesn't exist. There is no "polished" version. There is a majorly pre-release development image though. It isn't intended for people who aren't going to be sitting and developing on it.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by nephilim View Post
    Yeh not impressed with the final polished version with the phone ROM.
    What made you think this was the final version? Every article I have read about the 'Ubuntu Touch Developer Preview' mentions who it is intended for and that it is nowhere near finished.

For smartphones you need to wait until Ubuntu 13.10 is released, and for tablets, 14.04.

...there's really not much going on for regular smartphone users in the Ubuntu Touch Developer Preview, and you certainly can't get much "real work" done with it ... which is pretty much what Canonical told us to expect. So why would anyone – even an Ubuntu enthusiast – want to download it, especially when you have to wipe a perfectly good phone or tablet to do so?

Naturally, the primary audience for the Preview is developers who want to build apps for it. But even then, the Ubuntu SDK is still in alpha, and the initial release only supports building apps for phones, not tablets. (Source)
    Ubuntu for tablets is rather limited right now, and the preview that will be made available this week is really aimed solely at enthusiasts and developers. You'll be able to flash a ROM to various Nexus devices, but Canonical isn't providing a dual-boot method so you'll have to flash back to Android once you're done playing around. This operating system shows a lot of promise, and the general performance and available features seem solid for such an early stage. Canonical has a year left until it plans to bring this to market — the company is aiming to get hardware into the hands of users in Q1 2014. (Source)
    Also, the month after Ubuntu 14.04 is released, Google will most likely be announcing Android 6.0 for their Nexus devices which will no doubt take some inspiration from Ubuntu for phones and tablets.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast