+ Post New Thread
*nix Thread, 2Simple collection via WINE in Technical; Does anyone do this? Our HT is talking about moving to Linux [OK, I may have suggested it...] and I've ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,944 Times in 1,345 Posts
    Blog Entries

2Simple collection via WINE

Does anyone do this?

Our HT is talking about moving to Linux [OK, I may have suggested it...] and I've been looking at Linux for Schools.

The only software anyone is using at the moment is Office, and the the only thing which has been requested is the 2Simple collection. From their site it looks like it's only available for Windows, but their FAQ mentions running it with Wine ["unverified and untested by 2Simple"... then why mention it?]

If this works, then it's one less thing to find a replacement for if we do move away from windows.

CAM

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Adobe pulled Linux support with Flash so you may have to rely on Chrome or an OSS alternative to use their Flash based software. As for the rest of it, I cannot find 2Simple on the WineHQ App Database so you may be on your own! Only way is to test it with a Linux box and post the results to WineHQ to see if it attracts any other 2Simple users.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CAM View Post
    Adobe pulled Linux support with Flash so you may have to rely on Chrome or an OSS alternative to use their Flash based software. As for the rest of it, I cannot find 2Simple on the WineHQ App Database so you may be on your own! Only way is to test it with a Linux box and post the results to WineHQ to see if it attracts any other 2Simple users.
    Yeah, I checked the AppDB... I would have thought someone was using it.

I hate being the first, I just KNOW it's going to break in a weird way.

Also, Flash 11.2 is the last supported flash version [still gets security updates] which is more than enough for what we use. Once it gets outdated, it's Chrome O'Clock.

CAM

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I heard Google were working on their own plugin, I only hope it's more reliable then the Adobe one and if so, makes it's way to Windows.

If you run the program via Terminal you can paste the debug information in here and someone will probably know what is going on with the program. My first bets for the first items to fall over are on Pulseaudio.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    If I had my Ubuntu live disk, I'd try it out.

I can't believe I chucked them all away... I thought I saved one.

Thank Post
    I did attempt to get 2simple's suite running on WINE a long while back (2 years ago). They gave me a temporary license whilst I investigated it (probably why their site says untested by them).

I could get it to work in WINE with a lot of work (needs .net and many other DLLS 'acquired' from a windows box - this in turn creates a load of licensing issues), but a couple of the functions would cause it to crash (not good telling a teacher don't press this button!).

Purplemash (by 2simple) was one alternative as it runs completely in a browser and they did offer some SWF files of some of there original software.

Wish I could be the bearer of better news, but from what I found it took a lot of work for little gain.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by danielknox View Post
    I did attempt to get 2simple's suite running on WINE a long while back (2 years ago). They gave me a temporary license whilst I investigated it (probably why their site says untested by them).

I could get it to work in WINE with a lot of work (needs .net and many other DLLS 'acquired' from a windows box - this in turn creates a load of licensing issues), but a couple of the functions would cause it to crash (not good telling a teacher don't press this button!).

Purplemash (by 2simple) was one alternative as it runs completely in a browser and they did offer some SWF files of some of there original software.

Wish I could be the bearer of better news, but from what I found it took a lot of work for little gain.
    F6U12~

If I pretty much need to licence windows to get it working, it defeats the point of running Linux.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread