+ Post New Thread
*nix Thread, Wireless before login for Ubuntu joined to AD in Technical; Hi all, I'd like to set up wireless logins for Ubuntu laptop clients that are joined to Active Directory with ...

Thank Post

Wireless before login for Ubuntu joined to AD

Hi all,

I'd like to set up wireless logins for Ubuntu laptop clients that are joined to Active Directory with Likewise Open. Our wireless network uses WPA2 Enterprise and I have configured a system-wide profile in "Network Connections" for this, but it looks like the connection is not made until after login, so AD authentication cannot occur.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    Its because the Ubuntu network manager runs as a user, you need to configure the wireless manually and remove the Ubuntu network manager.

Thank Post

Thank Post
    Is there any way to start NetworkManager before login?

With that link, what would I do about an 802.1x wireless connection?

Thanks!

Thank Post
    I've not actually done this in Ubuntu, so i dont have any config details.but that was the general principal.

I'm 99% sure @dhicks uses this method for connecting Debian "chrome books" though...

Apologies if this was a rather slack answer but I've not got a Ubuntu box now.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CyberNerd View Post
    I'm 99% sure dhicks uses this method for connecting Debian "chrome books" though...
    I have the setup notes I made handy for setting up a Debian laptop from scratch, logging in to wireless via the command line before X Windows starts. I imagine Ubuntu is very similar, but you might want to check through step-by-ste and not just follow along without some thought.

For hardware, we were using original model EeePCs, so I had to install the ralink firmware to get the wireless to work in the first place - you can probably skip that bit. You'll need to install wireless-tools and wpasupplicant - the tools for connecting to a wireless network. On Debian, I had to add a line to sources.list to be able to load the (non-OSS) ralink firmware - again, you can probably skip that bit if you already have your wireless hardware working.

Code:
    Edit /etc/apt/sources.list:
    	Edit line to read:
    	deb ftp.osuosl.org :: Oregon State University Open Source Lab squeeze main contrib non-free
    apt-get update
    apt-get install firmware-ralink wireless-tools wpasupplicant
    For some reason that currently escapes me, I needed a permissions change to /etc/network/interfaces:

Code:
    chmod 0600 /etc/network/interfaces
    You should then just be able to edit /etc/network/interfaces to set up your wlan interface, e.g.:

Code:
    auto wlan0
    iface wlan0 inet dhcp
    	wpa-ssid YOURNETWORKSSIDGOESHERE
    	wpa-psk PASSWORDGOESHERE
    The above should, I think, get you a network connection at boot time, before X Windows starts. You also avoid having a GUI wireless tool for users to fiddle with - the device just starts up and connects to wireless, the end user doesn't see anything. This is probably going to work best if you have a nice managed wireless system that gives you ubiquituous wireless access all round the school - you aren't going to get any error messages if the wireless can't connect.

7. Thanks to dhicks from:

CyberNerd (18th December 2012)

Thank Post
    This is very helpful - thanks! But what would I add to /etc/network/interfaces for WPA2 Enterprise, which uses a username and password combination, not just a password?

Quote Originally Posted by dhicks View Post
    I have the setup notes I made handy for setting up a Debian laptop from scratch, logging in to wireless via the command line before X Windows starts. I imagine Ubuntu is very similar, but you might want to check through step-by-ste and not just follow along without some thought.

For hardware, we were using original model EeePCs, so I had to install the ralink firmware to get the wireless to work in the first place - you can probably skip that bit. You'll need to install wireless-tools and wpasupplicant - the tools for connecting to a wireless network. On Debian, I had to add a line to sources.list to be able to load the (non-OSS) ralink firmware - again, you can probably skip that bit if you already have your wireless hardware working.

Code:
    Edit /etc/apt/sources.list:
    	Edit line to read:
    	deb ftp.osuosl.org :: Oregon State University Open Source Lab squeeze main contrib non-free
    apt-get update
    apt-get install firmware-ralink wireless-tools wpasupplicant
    For some reason that currently escapes me, I needed a permissions change to /etc/network/interfaces:

Code:
    chmod 0600 /etc/network/interfaces
    You should then just be able to edit /etc/network/interfaces to set up your wlan interface, e.g.:

Code:
    auto wlan0
    iface wlan0 inet dhcp
    	wpa-ssid YOURNETWORKSSIDGOESHERE
    	wpa-psk PASSWORDGOESHERE
    The above should, I think, get you a network connection at boot time, before X Windows starts. You also avoid having a GUI wireless tool for users to fiddle with - the device just starts up and connects to wireless, the end user doesn't see anything. This is probably going to work best if you have a nice managed wireless system that gives you ubiquituous wireless access all round the school - you aren't going to get any error messages if the wireless can't connect.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by MarsRed View Post
    But what would I add to /etc/network/interfaces for WPA2 Enterprise, which uses a username and password combination, not just a password?
    I'm not sure. However, the bit doing the actual connecting-to-wireless is wpasupplicant, and a quick Google for "wpa_supplicant wpa2 enterprise" turns up a few results - you might need a line to set the identity, e.g.:

identity="myid@mydomain.com"

10. Thanks to dhicks from:

MarsRed (27th December 2012)

Thank Post
    So I've tried a number of different wpa_supplicant.conf configurations and still can't get wireless authentication to work. Does anyone have a known, working configuration file and/or setup tips for connecting to a WPA2 Enterprise/PEAP/MSCHAPv2 network using Microsoft IAS 2003 for RADIUS?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread