+ Post New Thread
*nix Thread, FOG NFS Error - so frustrating in Technical; Apologies if this is a regular FOG issue, but I've just sweated what felt like actual blood getting FOG up ...
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries

FOG NFS Error - so frustrating

Apologies if this is a regular FOG issue, but I've just sweated what felt like actual blood getting FOG up and running, and now when I try to image I get the dreaded 'Can't mount NFS' error.
    My first question is where is the default location for this 'images' folder located, and is this reflected correctly within the default storage node settings (e.g /images/)? I expected the images folder to be in /var/www/fog/ but it isn't which is rather confusing. If it is somewhere else should it be in the www folder? I haven't touched any storage settings, only the very basics.

NOTE: I have looked at this link: Change NFS location - FOGProject Wiki which seems to be what Google chucks up on a search for this subject, but I wasn't sure if I really needed to change the NFS location like this. Can't FOG just automatically put it in the correct folder for us thickos?

Now must listen to some Boards of Canada to calm down.

Thanks in advance.

Thank Post
    The default location is /images
    It shouldn't be in /var/www/fog because images aren't being made available over HTTP, you are using NFS shares as defined in /etc/exports.

Have you actually tried to change the location and encountered a problem, or did it never work properly?

3. Thanks to morganw from:

basicchannel (13th September 2012)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by morganw View Post
    Have you actually tried to change the location and encountered a problem, or did it never work properly?
    It never worked properly in the first place. One thing that was odd was it's running off a virtual machine but FOG was coming up with the wrong IP, so I changed it to the correct IP in the config file and all seemed hunky dory. I've also tried re-installing fog so I know for sure that I didn't change any of the defaults apart from the bare essentials.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    OK, update. After looking closely at the error on the client, I can see it's still pointing to the wrong IP address, so no wonder it ain't mounting. I have corrected all the IPs in config.php and in the management console (they are appearing correctly on the dashboard) but the flippin thing is still trying to point to the wrong address. Is there somewhere I've missed? Do I need to do an inventory of the host machine again?

Thanks

Thank Post
    Ah, changing IP on a FOG server. Fun! There's more to do than just the config file in that case, as I found out when moving ours across ranges. You'll need to change /var/www/fog/commons/config.php if it hasn't updated already. If necessary, try a reinstall making sure the settings in /opt/fog/.fogsettings are correct. Make sure /etc/network/interfaces is correct. It's possible that your NFS settings are still pointing to an IP address that is not the same as the server's - fine if you're using non-local storage but in a default installation it won't work.

7. Thanks to 3s-gtech from:

basicchannel (13th September 2012)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by 3s-gtech View Post
    Ah, changing IP on a FOG server. Fun! There's more to do than just the config file in that case, as I found out when moving ours across ranges. You'll need to change /var/www/fog/commons/config.php if it hasn't updated already. If necessary, try a reinstall making sure the settings in /opt/fog/.fogsettings are correct. Make sure /etc/network/interfaces is correct. It's possible that your NFS settings are still pointing to an IP address that is not the same as the server's - fine if you're using non-local storage but in a default installation it won't work.
    Thanks for this. I found that I think the problem was a disparity in the pxelinux.cfg file, which was still pointing to the wrong IP address. Changed it and it seems to work OK. So now I'm uploading my first image onto FOG, whoop whoop!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Patience with Fog is now nearing zero

I did a quick inventory on a client a few days ago, and thinking everything was hunky dory I deployed the new image to said client just now. I am now getting the invalid operating system id error, but whenever I change it under the hosts section it doesn't stick. Now I've tried deleting the host so I can do a fresh inventory, but the machine just keeps booting into the image, bypassing the main menu. I've deleted the host and killed the deploy task, so what's going on?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    OK, officially given up with Fog! Tried to re-upload an image and now getting 'unable to move images..' error when it prepares for imaging. Fog is the most frustrating piece of software I've ever tried to use, and I'm not that much of an idiot.

With fog it's: I fix one error, on to the next error, fix next error, on to the next.....infinity

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,455 Times in 1,899 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I'm somewhat bemused as to what has caused all these problems - I did a Fog install on Ubuntu 12.04 on Monday here and I was up and running in 10 minutes.

What OS have you used? Why did any IP change?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    What OS have you used? Why did any IP change?
    Ubuntu Desktop edition, and I really can't figure out about the IP, but as I've had some lunch now and I enjoy torturing myself I'm going to completely re-install server then Fog.

Thank Post
    I used FOG for a couple of years and found it to be very reliable. You might want to try using the server edition of Ubuntu rather than the desktop one to minimise the amount of software that you are running. I would also recommend that you virtualise the main server (so you can snapshot it when you have it working and before you update any software in the future) and set up a physical storage node (so images deploy without any load on your VM but you could revert to it if the storage node breaks).

Thank Post
    Personally installed it on Debian, used Server but with Gnome installed which helped with configuration at the time. Much the same as Ubuntu. Very few issues with install, just make sure your install settings are correct when you run the installfog.sh script. It can be frustrating when it doesn't work (which is never the software's fault IME) - but it is always fairly simple to fix, with a cool head! It's usually caused by me changing something, or the client PC not working nicely with the selected kernel.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread