Stockport schools take open-source route
Anyone have any more info on this??
Schools in the Manchester area have been linked together with a networked system that uses open-source software.
The Stockport system gives 30,000 pupils across the town a wide range of services including calendar and content-management functions. The system uses a single login screen to make access to the system easy and it will provide "dynamic use of the internet in a learning environment", and include security features that should block inappropriate content.
According to Blue Fountain, which makes the Linux system on which the network is based, the system is fully scalable and incorporates plans to expand at a future date.
The systems in Stockport are run by Liverpool Direct, which is a joint venture, 80.1 percent owned by BT and 19.9 percent owned by Liverpool City Council.
Re: Stockport schools take open-source route
found some already...
Blue School is at the leading edge of web based IT systems for schools. The solution provides a web strategy and virtual learning environment which will deliver the “Schools of the Future” program currently being implemented by central government to provide an integrated interface for teacher and student communication.
Blue School is a reliable and robust open source solution which is fully scalable that can be delivered to all schools within an area or to all schools in the UK.
Aidan McGuire, Blue Fountain Director explained “The Blue School Solution delivers a comprehensive and forward looking IT strategy to organisations which may have tight financial budgets.
Blue School currently includes 4 separate application areas all of which can be accessed using a single log-in from an integrated interface or standard school “home page”.
* the provision of e-mail communication for 30,000 users via web mail for remote users or students working on shared machines,
* the provision of e-mail via imap mail using a desktop based e-mail client e.g. MS Outlook,
* a new type of web site or content management system which has both a public facing web page and a private area for access by teachers and students that supports collaborative working with the sharing of information and documents regardless of location or time.
* Web based school calendars which will deliver details of school activities and clubs in “real time”.
System Core Features
* 100% web based
* Single Log on
* School Home Page with public and private areas
* e-mail communication for up to 30,000 users
* Remote e-mail access using web mail
* Web based school calendars
Service Core Features
* Fully managed service
* Remote site support
* 2 hour response time
* 24x7 support available
* Platform: Linux
* Database: MYSQL/ZOPEDO
* Middleware: Plone & Python
* Languages: Ruby, Python, PHP
* E-Mail: Exim, Spamassassin, Cyrus, Open LDAP
* Low total cost of ownership
* Support for 30,000 users
* Single Log-on from School Home Page
* E-mail access via web mail for remote access
* Easily up to maintain and update web site
* Promotes collaborative working between students and teachers