Amazon Whispercast - Free web-based tool for distributing eBooks to multiple Kindle's
Currently US only, but worth keeping an eye on since this will make the process of distributing eBooks to Kindle's far easier than it is now.
Source: Amazon (via Ars Technica)
If you're trying to use Kindles or other e-readers in your school or business, one of the challenges is purchasing, then distributing, e-books and other materials to everyone who needs them. Mobile device management solutions focus overwhelmingly on platforms like iOS, Android, BlackBerry, and others. Most don't often bother with standalone e-readers.
To help with these problems, Amazon is debuting a new service called Whispercast. The service will let US-based schools and businesses distribute Kindle e-books and other documents to any Kindle, Kindle Fire, or smartphone and tablet running a Kindle app. The service is managed through a free-to-use Web-based console which can also manage wireless network settings, password requirements, and other settings on Kindle Fire tablets and Kindle e-readers. We took the console for a spin to see how it works.
Manage Your Kindles
Distribute Kindle Content
- Centrally manage your Kindles from whispercast.amazon.com.
- Save valuable time registering your Kindles—no more need to manually configure each Kindle one at a time for your users.
- Provide Internet access by sending your wireless network and proxy settings to your Kindles so they can seamlessly connect to your network and safely browse the web.
- Protect your information by requiring a password on your Kindles if desired.
- Control how your Kindles are used with the ability to block Facebook and Twitter integration, web browsing, and content purchasing.
- Keep your Kindle yours by blocking factory reset and device deregistration on Kindles you give your users.
- Start a “Bring Your Own Device” program and send private network settings to your users' personal Kindle devices. (Coming Soon)
- Wirelessly procure and distribute Kindle books to your organization's Kindles or any PC, Mac, iPad, iPhone, Android tablet or phone with the free Kindle app.
- Meet the unique needs of your users by organizing them into groups for a specific class, grade level, or corporate department to send relevant content and documents.
- Share information by uploading and distributing documents (.pdf, .doc., .docx) to your Kindles or other devices.
- Let your users read on their own devices and send purchased Kindle books and documents to their personal Kindle or other devices
- Take advantage of apps from the Amazon Appstore for Android that you can buy and send directly to Kindle Fire tablets. (Coming Soon)