+ Post New Thread
IT News Thread, Only 3% Of Laptops Use SSDs in Other News; According to the market research firm iSuppli, only 3% of laptops currently available to buy are equipped with SSDs. Considering ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,834 Times in 2,093 Posts

Only 3% Of Laptops Use SSDs

According to the market research firm iSuppli, only 3% of laptops currently available to buy are equipped with SSDs. Considering that most people a) don't know what an SSD is or what the benefits are, b) aren't willing to pay the premium manufacturers charge for an SSD, and c) think they need a 500GB or 750GB drive even when they don't, this figure sounds about right.

Among all notebook PCs outfitted with either HDD or SSD as their storage media, models with hard disks larger than 500 gigabytes (GB) and priced from $450 to $550 accounted for the biggest share of the market in the first quarter, at 32 percent. The second-biggest segment of 26 percent belonged to notebooks integrating hard disk drives larger than 320GB and priced between $350 and $450. Only 3 percent of the market belonged to 128GB SSD laptops or very high-end HDD notebook PCs both priced above $900, as shown in the figure below. (Source)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,110 Times in 849 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Also doesn't take into account people in the trade/in the know who will more than certainly be intelligent enough to buy an SSD and fit it themselves as the premium for having an SSD as part of the price is nearly always more than the cost of the drive in the first place.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by synaesthesia View Post
    Also doesn't take into account people in the trade/in the know who will more than certainly be intelligent enough to buy an SSD and fit it themselves as the premium for having an SSD as part of the price is nearly always more than the cost of the drive in the first place.
    This is what I did a couple of weeks ago. ~£450 for the laptop and separate SSD.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,090 Times in 1,005 Posts
    You can more than likely do the same with any laptop but I know for the Mac Book Pro's, OWC do a caddy that uses the optical drive bay so you can have 2 HDD's in the laptop ( one SSD for the OS / Apps ) and a separate standard HDD for storage so 500 gb or more ??

Taking advantage of an SSD and a normal hdd for storage

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,745 Times in 2,319 Posts
    Blog Entries
    There is also a reigonal toll on SSDs are they are markedly more expencive in some other areas. I'd have to agree that the best way to get one into your laptop in almost any market is to get a hold of one seporatly and put it in yourself as it is cheaper than the manuafacturer premium and you get a free external hdd drive to.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,254 Times in 1,036 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I've found recently, well, in the past year or so, that I really don't need more than a 120GB drive in my laptop. Most of my stuff is synced to the 'the cloud' and unless I was a laptop gamer or did multimedia editing I don't really see the point for me. Given you can now pick up a 120GB SSD for between £80-£90 it would make sense to buy a laptop with a conventional drive and simply but an SSD from a third party rather than pay the extra some vendors want for an SSD 'upgrade'.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,555 Times in 1,983 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dos_Box View Post
    I've found recently, well, in the past year or so, that I really don't need more than a 120GB drive in my laptop. Most of my stuff is synced to the 'the cloud' and unless I was a laptop gamer or did multimedia editing I don't really see the point for me. Given you can now pick up a 120GB SSD for between £80-£90 it would make sense to buy a laptop with a conventional drive and simply but an SSD from a third party rather than pay the extra some vendors want for an SSD 'upgrade'.
    Not even £80 now for a 120GB SSD. Sandisk Extreme SSD £72!

It depends on the manufacturer. Dell's premium for SSDs isn't that bad if you go for their own branded ones. It added about £30 to each laptop price for us this year.

Thank Post

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by synaesthesia View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    Not even £80 now for a 120GB SSD. Sandisk Extreme SSD £72!

It depends on the manufacturer. Dell's premium for SSDs isn't that bad if you go for their own branded ones. It added about £30 to each laptop price for us this year.
    the price of an ssd in the dell i bought a few months back was silly (cant remember the exact numbers) but to delete the 750 and add a 128gb ssd cost more than the drive on its own by a decent margin so i bought it with the 750 moved that to hdd bay 2 and pinched the 128gb m4 ssd from my old laptop (probably the ssd was less than a year old) and as some point will replace that with a 256 and return the 128 to my spare laptop

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread