+ Post New Thread
Results 1 to 10 of 10
IT News Thread, San Fransisco plans to block the purchase of Apple Macs in Other News; It seems Apple have pulled out of the US Govts EPEAT scheme (one which Apple helped to found) which ensures ...
  1. #1

    Dos_Box's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Preston, Lancashire
    Posts
    9,465
    Thank Post
    524
    Thanked 1,993 Times in 932 Posts
    Blog Entries
    23
    Rep Power
    575

    San Fransisco plans to block the purchase of Apple Macs

    It seems Apple have pulled out of the US Govts EPEAT scheme (one which Apple helped to found) which ensures products meet specific environmental standards. Because of this the city of San Fransisco are planning to put a block on the purchase of Apple computers, and given that 95% of school IT purchases in the US must meet EPEAT criteria it means they may lose out on the US education market too! Interesting times for Apple: BBC News - San Francisco plans to ban officials from buying Apple Macs
    Apparently this is all down to the fact that the new Macs are so hard to strip down for recycling or upgrading that they fail to meet standards.
    Last edited by Dos_Box; 11th July 2012 at 06:39 AM.

  2. #2

    Dos_Box's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Preston, Lancashire
    Posts
    9,465
    Thank Post
    524
    Thanked 1,993 Times in 932 Posts
    Blog Entries
    23
    Rep Power
    575
    As an additional thought, wasn't there EU legislation about devices having to have easily replaceable batteries and other parts?

  3. #3

    SYNACK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    10,686
    Thank Post
    824
    Thanked 2,570 Times in 2,187 Posts
    Blog Entries
    9
    Rep Power
    731
    Quote Originally Posted by Dos_Box View Post
    As an additional thought, wasn't there EU legislation about devices having to have easily replaceable batteries and other parts?
    Rules, apply to Apple... never, they get away with everything.

  4. #4

    teejay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    3,051
    Thank Post
    275
    Thanked 722 Times in 550 Posts
    Rep Power
    326
    So basically some San Fransisco officials want shiny new iPad 3's, Macbook Pro Retina's and a free upgrade to iPhone 5's when they come out...

  5. #5

    LosOjos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    West Midlands
    Posts
    5,182
    Thank Post
    1,285
    Thanked 1,029 Times in 729 Posts
    Rep Power
    658
    Quote Originally Posted by teejay View Post
    So basically some San Fransisco officials want shiny new iPad 3's, Macbook Pro Retina's and a free upgrade to iPhone 5's when they come out...
    Not sure where that came from?

    The problem is that new Mac's are a nightmare to recycle and San Francisco are trying desperately to be a "green" city. They're making a stand and hopefully it'll make Apple stop and think about what they're putting out in to the world.
    Last edited by LosOjos; 11th July 2012 at 04:00 PM.

  6. #6

    mac_shinobi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    9,214
    Thank Post
    2,766
    Thanked 935 Times in 875 Posts
    Rep Power
    343
    Maybe just me but looks or seems like they have gone down the toilet since Mr Jobs has passed away, I mean glueing a screen ??

    Pay all that money and they can't even do quality control correctly

  7. #7

    teejay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    3,051
    Thank Post
    275
    Thanked 722 Times in 550 Posts
    Rep Power
    326
    Quote Originally Posted by LosOjos View Post
    Not sure where that came from?

    The problem is that new Mac's are a nightmare to recycle and San Francisco are trying desperately to be a "green" city. They're making a stand and hopefully it'll make Apple stop and think about what they're putting out in to the world.
    If you read the story, it says they 'plan' to ban them, all I'm suggesting is there is a possibility that 'plan' may suddenly be put on the back burner for certain reasons, just being my usual cynical self

  8. #8

    LosOjos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    West Midlands
    Posts
    5,182
    Thank Post
    1,285
    Thanked 1,029 Times in 729 Posts
    Rep Power
    658
    Quote Originally Posted by teejay View Post
    If you read the story, it says they 'plan' to ban them, all I'm suggesting is there is a possibility that 'plan' may suddenly be put on the back burner for certain reasons, just being my usual cynical self
    Oh I see! Well yeah I have to admit I'm cynical of all "plans", particularly where the big hitters like Apple, Microsoft et al. are concerned as we've seen many times before that the rules can be bent seemingly on demand...

  9. #9


    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    51.405546, -0.510212
    Posts
    8,110
    Thank Post
    203
    Thanked 2,385 Times in 1,765 Posts
    Rep Power
    703

  10. #10


    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    51.405546, -0.510212
    Posts
    8,110
    Thank Post
    203
    Thanked 2,385 Times in 1,765 Posts
    Rep Power
    703
    Quote Originally Posted by mac_shinobi View Post
    Maybe just me but looks or seems like they have gone down the toilet since Mr Jobs has passed away
    Apple are most likely still working from Steve's four-year plan so I would wait until 2015 before making my mind up.

    Quote Originally Posted by mac_shinobi View Post
    Pay all that money and they can't even do quality control correctly
    Jonathan Ive would be the one responsible for the glue and he still works for Apple. It hasn't got anything to do with QC either.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread

Similar Threads

  1. What to buy for a video editing computer
    By E4xtraordinary in forum Hardware
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 10th October 2012, 09:00 AM
  2. [Pics] What it's like to own an Apple product :)
    By flyinghaggis in forum Jokes/Interweb Things
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 20th January 2011, 02:56 PM
  3. Where to buy AMD based systems
    By Geoff in forum Hardware
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 10th May 2006, 08:21 AM
  4. Choosing which Mac to buy
    By Ric_ in forum Mac
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 18th February 2006, 08:27 AM
  5. One PC refuses to run script! Help!!!
    By woody in forum Scripts
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 5th October 2005, 11:37 AM

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •