+ Post New Thread
IT News Thread, Dell buys Quest Software for £1.5 Billion in Other News; ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,834 Times in 2,093 Posts

Dell buys Quest Software for £1.5 Billion

Another one to add to the list of recent purchases.

Sources: Dell / The Register

After a minor bidding war with Insight Venture Partners, Michael Dell has prevailed with a bag of cash stuffed with $2.4bn (£1.5bn) to take over Quest Software - a peddler of a hodge-podge of systems, database, performance and access management tools as well as data archiving software.

Dell has not historically broken out its fledgling but growing software business from its peripherals arm, but said today that after acquiring Quest the company's software unit would have generated $1.2bn in revenue if you combine its own software sales with those of Quest for last year.

The important thing for Dell, and why it is ready to pay $28 a share or a 44.3 per cent premium for Quest based on its closing price on 8 March, is to build a growing and profitable software business.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,140 Times in 1,036 Posts
    Interesting one - Dell still going for its "We do everything". I wonder how long it is until they start bringing out a mini-os (or just by somebody's/Sponsor a linux product)

Thank Post
    This one has been rumoured for a while. Given Quests wide range of tools across the virtualisation space (and others) it seemed a logical choice for Dell since they're on a buying spree! Question is where do they now have gaps in their product portfolio?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Soulfish View Post
    This one has been rumoured for a while. Given Quests wide range of tools across the virtualisation space (and others) it seemed a logical choice for Dell since they're on a buying spree! Question is where do they now have gaps in their product portfolio?
    Would prefer them to do a bit more r and d then make make decent companies hardware/software crap! The only dell item I buy is the equallogic which has such good tie ins with vmware.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by glennda View Post
    Would prefer them to do a bit more r and d then make make decent companies hardware/software crap! The only dell item I buy is the equallogic which has such good tie ins with vmware.
    Have to say other than Dell sales (where it seems impossible to get a good account manager, or keep a good account manager for longer than a month!) I've never had problems with Dell. Dell servers I've always found worked well, with their version of iLO (iDRAC) nice and easy to use. Support was always good (even the indian call centers once you figured out that email/instant messaging was just as easy ) and prompt and their enterprise tech center was good for deploying things via SCCM etc.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Soulfish View Post
    Have to say other than Dell sales (where it seems impossible to get a good account manager, or keep a good account manager for longer than a month!) I've never had problems with Dell. Dell servers I've always found worked well, with their version of iLO (iDRAC) nice and easy to use. Support was always good (even the indian call centers once you figured out that email/instant messaging was just as easy ) and prompt and their enterprise tech center was good for deploying things via SCCM etc.
    I'm just pretty unlucky then - also there pricing didn't like - when i replaced the core switching at my last place - Dell quoted me 47k for a switch - hence why i laughed at the salesman! (I bought a 5406 for 12k). Didnt they quote you something stupid for Kace?

You do however have more powerful desktops at your place then some of my clients servers!!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread